PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

TheZis2Fst4U
01-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Well actually my friend does... Can you guys anwser some questions

My friend has a 400ex and put a stage 1 hotcam in a few weeks ago.. I repeatly told him to make sure he re-valved it and he didn't. Well it lasted all of an hour and he completly tore his cam up.

So Im trying to help him get it running again. We put the stock cam back in and cannot seem to get it to run. It will turn over forever and all we get is a backfire once in a while.

First ? Hotcams tell you to take the decompression "Plug?" out. He cannot find the plug.... would it run with the stock cam and no decompression "Plug?"???

Second ? Whatever we do we cannot seem to get the lines on the sprocket to line up perfect(Timing Marks), they are always a 1/8" high on one side or the other.

There are more questions but maybe you can get me started.

Sorry if it is hard to understand or some of this stuff is commensense. I own a Z400 and have many motor mods done by myself but haven't got the slightest clue about these ex's

Thanks In Advance

sixer3
01-09-2006, 09:47 PM
did you guys install the hotcam on your own?, i know i went ahead and had to re-adjust my valves for the hotcam b/c they were a bit off if you didnt do it yourself i bet the valves are off, also the stock cam will need the decompression plug =/ shouldnt be to hard to get one form your local honda dealer they may have to order it though =/

Pvt. Maggot
01-09-2006, 09:56 PM
I have a guess that he forgot to adjust the valves, or didn't break the cam in properly, for aftermarket cams the decompressor needs to be removed, it needs it for the stock cam, It will not run without it. You need to put the decompressor back in, put the motor at top dead center, and line up the lines on the cam sprocket flush with the head, make sure your sprocket bolts are tight, adjust the valves, and you should be good to go. Next time, get a manual :)

TheZis2Fst4U
01-10-2006, 02:25 PM
lol thanks guys. By the way I didn't put the cam in his bike.... he did. I put both hotcams in my z400 and reshimmed everything and mine runs like there is no tomarrow!!! My buddy is a dumbass and should not be aloud to work on engines. Once again thanks guys. I figured that it needed that decompression plug but he keeps tellin me it doesn't. Guess I'll go give him hell and make him put it in then it will start right up.