PDA

View Full Version : new bearing carrier

house23376
01-09-2006, 07:35 PM
hello everyone, i just recieved a new rad bearing carrier for my 03 400ex. i am planning on putting it in this wednesday. what things should i do or do i need to do to the carrier or the swing arm before i put it in the swing arm, everyting you can tell me will help. thanks alot--josh--

hardkoratvmxr
01-09-2006, 08:01 PM
grease the inside and out

400exrida06
01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Make sure you put grease or some kind of lubrication (vaseline) where the seals are so when you slide your axle through it comes through smoothly, and dont pump grease into the bearring carrier until your finished. Good luck with that, there a pretty good bearring carrier I havent had a problem with mine yet! :)
p.s: Don't over fill it with grease either you dont want to blow out your bearrings lol.

house23376
01-10-2006, 05:56 AM
thanks for the information! on a sheet of paper i got with my carrier it says to hand pack the bearings with grease, but do not remove the seals. how do i get to the bearings to grease them? all i can see and touch is the outside of the carrier and the center. there is an alen wrench screw in the center of the caRRIER, AM I SUPOSE TO DO ANYTHING WITH THAT?, OR IS THAT HOW I CAN HAND PACK THE BEARINGS? THANKS FOR YOUR ADVISE ILL USE IT ALL.. -- JOSH--

Barney
01-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Josh, I think were the plug in the middle is for grease pull it out
and look. You will have to go to the hardware store an purchase
a grease fitting. The theard size is 1/4"by 28tpi. use the fitting to grease it and then take out the fitting out and put the plug screw back in and then in to your sing arm.

bwamos
01-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by house23376
thanks for the information! on a sheet of paper i got with my carrier it says to hand pack the bearings with grease, but do not remove the seals. how do i get to the bearings to grease them? all i can see and touch is the outside of the carrier and the center. there is an alen wrench screw in the center of the caRRIER, AM I SUPOSE TO DO ANYTHING WITH THAT?, OR IS THAT HOW I CAN HAND PACK THE BEARINGS? THANKS FOR YOUR ADVISE ILL USE IT ALL.. -- JOSH--

If the 400ex is like the 300ex, it has sealed bearings (I dont know about the 400ex's, so someone else will ahve to confirm or deny). If that is the case you dont have to worry about that step. Those are generic directions.

Other quads have open bearings, with a grease zerk on the carrier. That's the one's you have to hand pack before inserting.

If it's exposed bearings, jsut preinserted into the carrier.. you can hand pack them still. Just work the grease in between the carrier and the inside edge of the bearing until the grease squirts out on the axle seal side.

house23376
01-10-2006, 02:37 PM
thanks alot for that extra much needed information, hopefully everything will go well tomorrow when i put it in. if somethign else pops up in anyone elses mind please let me know, thanks-- josh--