PDA

View Full Version : z-400 not was its cracked up to be

07-05-2002, 09:38 PM
i recently met a guy with the new z400.he had a complete yoshimura exhaust, the rest was stock. i have a graydon proline exhaust, jets, and air filter. we drag raced, and i beat him by 10-12 bike lengths multiple times, and the guy can drive pretty damn good. i know i have more upgrades than him, but i figured he would at least be close on my tail, but man, 12 bikes lengths. i was thinkng of selling my ex for a new Z, but now i see they arent what everyone says they are, just like the raptors, they werent anywhere near as good as they were said to be. i aint dissin the z-400, it is a great quad, just not what it hought it would be

Rastus
07-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Was it properly re-jetted ?If it wasnt, thats why.He shouldnt have a problem beating you.

07-05-2002, 09:57 PM
yea it was, he had the shop do it. im tellin you they aint that fast

Rastus
07-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Then it was rider error, b/c technically, looking at the spec sheets, the Z shouldnt have trouble beating an EX.It could be many reasons.Maybe he didnt have it properly broken in, and didnt want to rev it,etc.Or,he didnt break it in right, and now it runs like a shiz.

07-05-2002, 10:04 PM
the dude knows how to drive, he was hittin the rev limiter all day, so it was revving, he broke it in just like i broke in my ex, run the piss out of it, and screw the tech sheets, they dont mean sh*t. when you run them against each other, thats what tells which is faster. with the ex stock and the z stock, they ran side by side, dead even all the way down the road. so they are not faster

07-05-2002, 10:24 PM
The 400EX IS slower than the Z-400. Its just the truth. Thats what ALL the mags say. I also have seen it myself.

Liquid cooled engine .Vs. Air cooled engine.

The 400EX is an AWESOME quad,but its not meant to compete with the Z-400. Yes its faster,but I still prefer the 400EX. You wont see me with a susucki.

07-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Liquid cooling helps keep the engine parts at a more constant temperature. This means
that closer tolerances can be kept between parts, as they won't expand and contract as
much due to their temperature. The result is an engine that loses less power to gaps
between parts.

Also, liquid cooling helps keep the temperature lower as a whole, which means that a
liquid-cooled engine can be revved higher than an air-cooled engine, because the
additional heat will be carried off more efficiently with the coolant. And we all know what
higher revs mean...

Understand now?

nakomis0
07-05-2002, 10:41 PM
I raced a totally stock Z400 and it was a closer race than I wanted. He was only 1 or 2 bike lenghts behind me. I have a few mods done to my 400:)

07-05-2002, 10:45 PM
Face it, z400's are faster then 400ex's

07-06-2002, 08:20 AM
I saw a new z400 get beat by a mostly stock 400ex in a drag race a week ago. The dude with the z400 then loaded up and left! I know they are supposed to be bad and all but I have yet to ride one or race one so I cant say for sure. I know so far I am not impressed.

RoostinOna400ex
07-06-2002, 08:48 AM
See now its starting to be like dirt bikes its what ever you prefer and how much you read a magazine!! These 2 quad are about equal if you give or take a few things the z-400 will beat a 400ex in a drag race but what about and actually mx race??
z-400 = more power 400ex = better handeling and lighter
On a track all this would mean is its all the rider not the ride!! Now if yamaha will get off there @ss and make a quad like this so we can see more quads at the track instead of 400ex's and 250r's and maybe manurfacturers will get into the racing like in the dirtbike world!! :cool:

Rastus
07-06-2002, 09:03 AM
what rosstin said.....
Most drag races are close because both machines bores are fairly close.Both quads have about the same size stuff....,tires, shocks,etc. So,it would be a good race.It would also depend if the bikes have been runnin all day, then, the zuki's liquid cooling would help. oh well, i think ill stick with honda and wait till something like a 450F EX :) Man, that would be a great quad,CR450F motor in a 400EX frame.

07-06-2002, 12:22 PM
well as much as we would like the 400ex to beat the Z400 it doesnt..... i have a IMS 440ex,WBcam,16 tooth sprocket,K&N,jetting, WB R4.... i raced my buddies stock Z400 on a 200 yrd strip of tar he won by 3-4 bike lengths

L.Vegas400
07-06-2002, 01:55 PM
[i] ...the z-400 will beat a 400ex in a drag race but what about and actually mx race?? z-400 = more power 400ex = better handeling and lighter. On a track all this would mean is its all the rider not the ride!!... [/B]

quote from a suzuki page:

Wheelbase: 1245mm (49.0 in.)
Dry Weight: 169 kg (372 lbs.)

quote from a honda page:

Turning Radius: 10.5 feet
Dry Weight: 375.0 pounds

both are '03 models. the honda is 3 lbs heavier, which isnt much.

RoostinOna400ex
07-06-2002, 03:23 PM
OK sorry my bad but the handeling is still better!!

FoxRacing400EX
07-06-2002, 04:15 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to ride a z-400 so I can't say that they suck and are worthless. But I do see a very expensive marketing campaign for the z. Every mag is full of ads for the z or new hop ups for it. I just see a lot of hype. Remember when the raptor first came out. People were all excited because it is a 660 and was gonna murder the 400. What about the DS650? People were all excited about it too, and thought it would lay a whomping on the 400. The cannibal 440? None get quite as much press now as they did when they first came out. I bet there will be a lot of press about the new polaris too, and the mags will probabally say that it stomps the 400. But when the publicity dies down, the 400 even with it's ancient technology is still around, and still competive. The way I see it sooner or later honda will release another high performance sport quad and then we'll see how smug all the others will be then.

Nausty
07-06-2002, 05:59 PM
How many of you guys ride your machines with no oil or any fluids? I dunno if the z400 would weight a lot more since its liquid cooled than a 400ex being air cooled. I personally wouldn't beleive any mag because most of them don't want to say something bad about them because they put in ads and make major short falls seem like small ones. It was the same with the raptor and they made that four wheeler seem like a god. I will decide when I get to spend some major seat time on one. btw I got to ride a yz426 for a hour or so yesterday. Me, my dad and 2 other guys and their kids are making our own private track and the guy who owns the yz426 practically will let me ride it whenever I want:D I think they feel awsome and I felt very at home on them and don't seem heavy at all. I think if I were to get out of quading and back into bikes I would definitely get a 4 stroke.

bansheeguy77
07-06-2002, 07:51 PM
i rode a z400 today and i was very impressed with it....it felt much faster than my modded 400ex....and it handled just as good if not better.

bradley300
07-07-2002, 08:33 AM
the thing that i dont like about the z is the lack of originality. look whre the three frame tubes come together at the foot pegs. Look familiar? that is all 400ex. the dimensioons are very close also. i believe they also have the same brand of shocks, at the least, the travel numbers are nearly identical. i think its nice that suzuki wants a new hi perf. fourwheeler, ijustwish they would go out on a limb and try something different instead of using a "sure shot" 250r/400ex geometry.

Rastus
07-07-2002, 10:08 AM
You know why they use it? Because it works.Its cheap, and a reliable way.Honda didnt say they couldnt use it, and there are some things diffrent about it.

And if they didnt, most people would say it wouldnt hold up, or looks ugly.Save ur thoughts about the quad till you ride one. As for the mags, they dont know how reliable they are. The company gives them to the mag, and you can bet the company has made sure that those wont breakdown.

I hate to say it, but most people are biased on this site, like any other brand site.Im not flaming, just statein the facts.

Smoker
07-07-2002, 01:52 PM
When I first saw a picture of the Z, I figured Yamaha and Honda would have lawsuits before the thing hit the showroom due to similarities in a appearance and design. You have to give Suzuki some credit for actually coming out with something after being out of the sport market for so long and being smart enough to actually look at what designs are working (aside from the chain adjustment). The front frame rails look like a lonestar frame, the rest look like a 400 frame. Too bad they are having cooling problems despite the fact that it is water cooled. The HP numbers aren't as impressive as I thought although the motor makes more torque which it should considering it's dohc and has a higher compression ratio than a 400ex. It does have potential to put out more power than the 400 (due to it's design) when modified due but it's not really a big enough difference to me, your still spending money on the motor. I personally don't like Suzuki and would never sell my Honda for one, unless 5 years from Honda is still slacking in putting something up to date out, then it would have to be considered. This is my opinion on as someone called it the yellow devil. :p

07-07-2002, 03:45 PM
I read Dirt Wheels all the time. Anyone that can't see that Suzuki bought or paid off DW is blind. I don't believe nothing in any mags, I still read them for tips and tricks but as far as information on quads goes I don't believe any of it. Read the DW Z-400 article, they don't say one thing bad about the Z400 not one thing at all what kind of testing is that? Everyone knows there has to be at least one thing that dirt wheels didn't like. Its all about money and advertising the mags are biased hard core and anyone that doesn't see it needs to look harder. I think I counted about 12 -Z400 ads for exhaust and what not in that one issue. Lets face it Suzuki had to look good they came out of the hole, haven't made a quad for 15 years? They made sure DW wasn't going to make them look bad. Look at the mag for yourself.

Wheelie
07-07-2002, 08:23 PM
I got the opportunity to race a few Z400's this weekend, I got beat every time. It's truly a fast machine, although not as fast as I thought it would be.....

Also got the opportunity to ride one, one word, SMOOOTH. Ergonomics are excellent, all the controls are easy and have a good feel, quiet, but the power isn't what I was expecting.
I must admit, Suzuki has released one **** of a machine.

maverick
07-07-2002, 10:06 PM
well look at it this way...stock z-400 has 38 hp..stock 400 has 26....cmon, keep telling me a 400 is faster. you can have the fastest bike on earth but if you are afraid to get on it your bike is worthless... he prolly wasnt riding as hard as you.

I raced with one today at the motocross track, he was fast, but he didnt get through corners as fast as me, but beat me on starightaways.

I would get one but take a good look at the swingarm...kinda reminds me of other suckzuki quads of the past.

skemp
07-07-2002, 10:36 PM
I have seen a Z400 up close, and the swingarm is absolute junk by appearance (Same thing as the old Q-racers), and the axles are "flexible" from what I hear. When I first saw it, I thought it was a 400EX from the rear, and when I got in front, I thought I was looking at a Raptor. The frame is an absolute copy of our frame, with a few exceptions. Suzuki has made a good machine, yes, but I give them absolutely no credit for the design, because essentially, they didn't even come up with it. I don't like Suzuki and I would never own one, but they have made a better machine than ours, and it has to be accepted. It makes power like a Raptor, and handles like our EX's do, but I say thank Honda and Yamaha for creating the Z400. :devil

This is something to be expected from Kawasuzucat.

maverick
07-07-2002, 11:21 PM
Yea screw the suckzuki[see the SUCK in SUCKzuki?]

the swingarm is the sam design as the old one and the bolts are on the bottom so they cant get chewed up. It probably handles as good as an lt500....really fast until it comes time to turn.

RideRed04
07-08-2002, 07:44 AM
What is wrong with you guys? It uses the same stuff from the old lt's? Taken a good look at a 400ex and a 250r? Good god people, suzuki isnt the only one! "Sure, honda uses the stuff from the 250r, but that is because it was so good then". Well, why are you dogging suzuki for it then? Honestly, I think anyone that says the suzuki frame is exactly like the 400ex needs to take a closer look, or hasnt seen one up close. Face it guys, we got beat. I like the c-dale better, but its over. The 400ex is a great trail quad, but it takes some cubic $$ to get it competitive.

$$$moneyex
07-08-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Last1Left
The 400EX IS slower than the Z-400. Its just the truth. Thats what ALL the mags say. I also have seen it myself.

Liquid cooled engine .Vs. Air cooled engine.

The 400EX is an AWESOME quad,but its not meant to compete with the Z-400. Yes its faster,but I still prefer the 400EX. You wont see me with a susucki.

you read it in a magazine.......damn doesnt that sound fomillar dj....i no a kid that says that all the time and we make fun of him for it. it doesnt matter what the magazines say. my neighbor has a brand new z400. 2 weeks old, broken in properly. my other neighbor has a 400 ex stock 2months old if that. they raced about 5 times and the 400 beat the z 4/5 times(the one loss the exs tires spun bad) ive ridden both of them and i feel almost no difference. execpt the z does wheelies as soon as you tap the throtle.

and the riders are very equal. they race a 250ex and lokota twice switching bikes each time and the lokota won by a quad length each time.

so im with you when you say the z400 isnt as good as it was thought to be.

86atc250r
07-08-2002, 10:58 AM
well look at it this way...stock z-400 has 38 hp

Being a little optimistic aren't we....

A stock Z400 is a little faster than a stock 400EX in the straightline and handles similarly. The engine has more potential.

It's nice to see another sport quad out there, but lets give this a rest and leave it at this:

The Z400 is a decent machine, it's faster than a stock 400EX, but if you're expecting a real powerhouse or are all hyped up about what you've read in a magazine you're going to be disappointed.

skemp
07-08-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RideRed04
What is wrong with you guys? It uses the same stuff from the old lt's? Taken a good look at a 400ex and a 250r? Good god people, suzuki isnt the only one!

I honestly don't mean to dog on you Jeff, but the swingarms were junk on the old LT's too. Worst chain adjustment I have ever seen, and it always loosens up. I am not saying it is bad to use old parts, but it is bad to use old parts that didn't work! :D

Honestly, I think anyone that says the suzuki frame is exactly like the 400ex needs to take a closer look, or hasnt seen one up close.

I have been right up to and sat on a Z400 at Dennis Kirk Customer Appreciation Day. It feels a lot like my EX, and the frame is VERY similar. Even DirtWheels said that!

I agree with Gabe, disputing about this is redundant, and it has happened with every quad that comes out. The Z400 IS better than our EX's in a drag race, but put me next to a guy on a Z400 on the trails or a track, and I guarantee the difference is very minimal.

RoostinOna400ex
07-08-2002, 01:57 PM
See this is what I am talkin about its startin to be like dirtbikes. They are pretty much the same but people always have there preference. See now its not the ride its the rider!! :eek:

RideRed04
07-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Woops, I didnt mean that the swing arm was a good idea. I ment using honda style geometry. It feels similar to a honda, but the 12 year olds are saying that it is an exact copy, witch it is not. The way the frame is in the front is more like the aftermarket frames (getting narrow fast).

Guy400
07-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Ridered, you took the words out of my mouth. It's OK for the 400EX to copy the 250R but it's not OK for someone else to design a similar geometry. Does Roll Design, Walsh Racecraft, Arens, etc. suck because all they did was copy the 250R? And before you say "Yeah, but at least they use the 250R engine" excuse would the YZ426/DRZ400 engined Walsh quads suck because they're not using a Honda powerplant? I applaud those of you who own Honda's but are at least willing to say the bar has been raised and the EX is no longer on top. While the Z is no world beater it did up the ante on the EX, plain and simple.

I also agree with Gabe, anyone who expected the Z to be a horsepower monster was sadly mistaken.

skemp
07-08-2002, 04:29 PM
Sorry Guy for downing on the LT's, I really don't think they're bad at all. My best friend has one, and the only real downfall is the swingarm. I didn't mean to say that the Z400 isn't good at all. I admit that the 400EX pales in comparison to the Z400 in spite of the similarities. Suzuki picked a very good design, and it is definitely functional, but I HATE it how the stupid ad flyer mags say it is such an innovative design and it conquers all. It is most definitely a good machine, but by far it isn't the amazing manufacturing marvel that the magazines say it is. I didn't mean to piss anybody off, so I am just clarifying. Ok, I am done with this thread :D

Punk13rym
07-08-2002, 05:11 PM
ok, dirt wheels is definitally corrupt. just like the caotholic church.

RoostinOna400ex
07-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Soooooo what are you saying about catholics cuz im catholic?? :grr

Punk13rym
07-08-2002, 05:32 PM
im caotholic too. i was just joking.

RoostinOna400ex
07-08-2002, 05:36 PM
OO its cool i was just kidding but you might want to watch out there are some real holy rollers that will get REAL affended if you say ANYTHING about there religion!!:cool:

Nausty
07-08-2002, 06:34 PM
well they shouldn't. they are in the open world, so they should be able to take open opinions imo.:)

RoostinOna400ex
07-08-2002, 09:56 PM
I hear you:macho

RoostinOna400ex
07-08-2002, 10:07 PM

RoostinOna400ex
07-08-2002, 10:09 PM
ridered04 how do u get the thing under your name to work!! I cant get it to work !!:grr

Nausty
07-08-2002, 11:34 PM
are you trying for the picture? Look in the faq under avators

4punksdad
07-09-2002, 05:16 AM
well, I hate to jump into these threads near the end but here goes.

Let me start by saying I have NOT ridden a z-400 yet.
I am a fan of the old quadracers. They sat low & wide & handled great. The swingarm & chain adjuster on the earlier models seemed more functional to me.

The new Z doesn't sit low & wide like the old racers. It sits tall & narrow like a raptor.

A friend of mine informed me yesterday that he had ridden a new Z. He claimed the engine is very smooth running and the ride is plush. He also claimed that the Z seems like it is geared taller than the 400EX which makes it seem faster, yet not quicker.

from his comments I gathered he wasn't impressed with the new Z.............He drag raced his 400ex (14T & fmf slip on) against the stock Z and claimed that the 2 bikes were very equal.

the Z might be better than the 400ex since it has reverse and liquid cooling but thats about where it ends.

I am just happy to have another choice when I go quad shopping. I can't wait to throw a leg over one that has the key in it. Until then, I won't get too bold with my comments.

freakystone
07-09-2002, 07:10 AM
I laugh, then I sigh, then I boil... But who really cares. Here are the FACTS as I see it:

1. The stock Z400 is faster than a stock 400EX, by a lot.

2. The stock Z400 is faster than a lot of modded 440's. Read some of the posts from guys that HAVE RIDDEN or RACED them.

3. The Z400 looks like a cross between a Raptor and a 400EX but Suzuki was copied by all of the other manufacturers when they all added a 4th wheel.

4. The Z400 handles better than a 400EX. Yes, better. Noticably better.

5. I am not brand loyal. If I was I would have a Honda.

6. I am not a 15 yr. old punk defending my quad. I have been riding for 19 years and over 30 atc's and atv's.

7. The 400EX was the best machine in its day. "in its day" is the key word.

8. Yes, Suzuki is buying a lot of good reviews via advertising. So have other manufacturers...

9. The Z400 isnt tippy like a Raptor. Whoever said that hasnt ridden all three for more than a few minutes.

10. I could care less what HP numbers are. It is like what I told my wife. "I dont care how much you weigh, I only care about how you look". Regardless of the HP numbers, the Z400 feels much more powerful.

11. I am glad the bar is yet again raised and I would love to see Honda step up. Maybe a year from now I will be writing another honest review and a bunch of other people will be full of *****keep your flames to yourself***** like you guys on this post.

moto440ex
07-09-2002, 08:09 AM
freakystone is right about the z400. I have riddin the z and it is alot faster than a stock 400,but it couldnt beat my 440 and even when the ridder on the z400 was better than me. It handles on par with a 400 and it might look tall and narrow like a raptor but it doesnt feel like that at all. The only thing i hate about the z is the beefy swingarm. But i would never trade my honda for the z400.

2001 440ex-- IMS 440 kit, durablue eliminator 2+2 axle, tag t2 handlebars,18-11-8 holeshots,douglas beadlocks,port and polish, yoshimura complete racing series pipe,shaved fenders,and K&N filter. :macho

07-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Well I strayed from Honda and got the Z. Got 50+ hrs on it to date. For the average he11 raiseing trail rider, which is what this quad is designed for in stock form, I haven't even found a hint of anything to complaine about. I don't feel that the Z is better than the EX as far as handeling and power are concerned. But from a trail riders view as a whole it appeared to be the better choice.

Overheating...not on my Z. The temp here has been in the high 90's, I put 140miles on every type of teraine imaginable in 2 days, this thing produces a lot less felt heat to the rider than the EX does on those blistering hot rides.

Chain adjustment... Yea it sucks. But how often do you have to adjust the chain? After the first 3 good hard rides on my EX, I put over 1k miles on it with out hardly any more adjustments. I put even better sprockets on the Z and expect equal or better results.

The Z isn't the fastest quad out there but it is definantely capeable of holding it's own stock for stock. If anything (except Dale) beats the Z by more than a couple quad lengths in a 300' drag, you need to practice your "drag" raceing skills. And "NO" a stock EX (the quad, not the rider) can't beat the Z in a straight run. That is a fact.

I only bought the Z because I felt it was a little better all around quad than the EX. I am gambeling that it will stay together for a couple of years.

If Honda comes out with a better sport\trail quad in a year or so, the Z will be gone, and I will be "rideing red" once more.

Yes I am a traitor, but with a quad like the Z, can you blame me?

Later...

New-400ex_guy
07-10-2002, 03:37 AM
i have both and the Z is flat out better than the 400ex execpt i cant say reliablilty yet, but ive had it for a few months now and nothing has gone wrong.

the power is greater than the ex. it about the same as a stock shee. since it has beaten them in drags and the owners of them who rode my bike said they had about the same power.

they handle about the same. i think the honda gobbles up the rough stuff better but i havent got the Z's suspention tuned right.

reverse is very nice sometimes ;) .

it stays alot cooler and doesnt vibrate as much.

i just got my pipe and K&N filter on, and when i get it jetted ill be eating raptors and crapping blasters lol.

the most important thing is ride what you like and have fun. besides the more competion the better. better bike for us and better prices :D

MxDale71
07-10-2002, 08:55 AM
It seems like the only people that think the 400ex is faster than a Z400 are the 400ex owners.

Sleeping Catfish
07-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by MxDale71
It seems like the only people that think the 400ex is faster than a Z400 are the 400ex owners.

when i got my cannibal they all said it sucked. now look at them, they all want one. in a little bit of time they will come around and see what a great quad the z400 is.

DEAL
07-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Your WRONG catfish
I love my 400ex, I have seen the Z400 and its not my thing, its definetly not an Mx machine, it seems too tall and thin, like the raptor. And from what i hear the axles bend easy.

freakystone
07-10-2002, 10:02 AM
Valid opinions should be based on life experience, not distorted views fueled by a false sense of loyalty or jeoulousy.

The only thing brand loyalty provides you is an out of date quad.

The Z400 is NOT tippy like a Raptor. People who have ample seat ime on both the Z and the EX agree that not only does the Z handle as well as a EX, it probably handles better.

07-10-2002, 03:57 PM
take the ex, c-dale, or the R, only 3 i would own

Tommy 17
07-10-2002, 05:45 PM
can i say this... WHO CARES WHATS BETTER!!!!!! the fight will never end its a waste of time... i own what i own and i am happy with it!.... i hate suzukis but i don't sit here and bash them...

Sleeping Catfish
07-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
Your WRONG catfish
I love my 400ex, I have seen the Z400 and its not my thing, its definetly not an Mx machine, it seems too tall and thin, like the raptor. And from what i hear the axles bend easy.

i agree with freakystone.

MxDale71
07-10-2002, 10:28 PM
If it's considered a MX'er, you wouldn't want the stock axle anyways, and saying the Z400 SEEMS to tall and narrow is dumb. Sorry but if you only think it seems that way, that means you don't know for sure. As my ex-girlfriends dad always said, "Don't talk ***** about things you know nothing about." No, he wasn't saying that to me and it has nothing to do with her being my EXGirlfriend, hehe :D, we're all still friends.

Anyways, I bet the Z400 will be a good mx'er, but it might be a little more expensive to correct its short comings, like the axle, and shocks. But there isn't a stock quad that I know of (besides the Moto 440) that I wouldn't want to buy new shocks, a-arms, and a axle for.

I'm looking forward to seeing some Z400's out on the track.

Guy400
07-11-2002, 05:18 AM
I agree that statements that say "seem to be tippy from what I've seen" are very frustrating. The way things seem and the way they actually are could be two different things. The 400EX would "seem" to overheat because of the archaic air-cooling but is that always the case? Nope, 99.9% of the time cooling is not an issue even though it would "seem" to be a problem.

As far as the Z's ability to be a MX machine, when I watched GT Thunder's Z wax the field at the races a few weeks ago they proved they are capable machines. I also question what the stock axle has to do with MX. Nearly everyone who races buys an axle, a set of a-arms and some aftermarket suspension despite the quad they ride. How well would a stock 400EX preform against other quads in it's class with the above mentioned mods? Not very. Show me a competitive MX 400EX still using the stock a-arms, axle and shocks...

I understand brand loyalists but you've also got to be a realist at the same time.

MxDale71
07-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Right on.

VooDuu Child
07-11-2002, 01:51 PM
I am a two Z household. My girl and I both have one, with about thirty or so hours on each. We were going to buy EX's a while back, but they tried screwing us on the deal, then we saw an ad for the Z, and waited months for them. Now we could not be more happy. I've never ever had any overheating problems and have ridden hot weather pushing the machine hard. I have yet to find an EX that'll keep with me, except of course for a couple of 440's out there, but then, it's always a toss up between the two. Yeah, big deal, chassis "look" alike. But as far as tall and tippy, well, look at the seat height, the Raptor is 2 inches taller and the ex is 3/4 of an inch taller. It just looks tippy because the front of the seat is VERY narrow, much like that of a dirt bike, which is so nice. It feels like a dirtbike, not a tank. I think the ex is a good bike, but is now becoming out dated with the Z and the Dales, and soon to be predator. The one area where the EX has an advantage over the Z is SLOW trail riding. I fixed that problem on mine, I don't ride slow. hehehe. I am also not brand loyal. My philosophy is the perfect bike for you is that one that makes you happy and well, the Z, it's like heaven. I've ridden ex's, and the Z is smoother, more powerful, and handles every single bit as well, if not better. Oh yeah, by the way, if someone was beat by an ex on their Z, that has to be rider error, OR, the Z didn't have enough hours on it. I noticed that after about twenty hours, my bike became a totally new machine. I love this bike, no problems here with it either and I punish this baby hard.
peace

07-13-2002, 01:26 AM
Z400 > 400ex
'nough said

Nausty
07-13-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Sleeping Catfish

when i got my cannibal they all said it sucked. now look at them, they all want one. in a little bit of time they will come around and see what a great quad the z400 is.

a while ago is all you would talk about is how you hated your cannibal and allt he maintance it took and wished you would of got a 400ex instead with axis shocks or you've just said 400ex and you have said it a BUNCH of times. I frankly don't care if I had to choose any quad it would be the 400ex still and I don't see what is wrong with that. I think the z400 is butt ugly and only has a couple more hp than a 400ex and all the other talk is just hype as far as i'm concerned. Just like the raptor, cannondale, bombadier. They all acted like there was no other machine that even compared and doug eichnar kicks arse on his duncan 440. So that definitely proves its a capable machine and if you wanna talk about drag racing capability I think it was a sparks 465 that placed 2nd the 4 stroke wars behind a sparks raptor.

07-15-2002, 06:03 PM
Just wait for honda to catch up..

They might make a 450F, liquid cooling, reverse, 10" travel front and rear, with the same plastics and ergonomics and frame ect.

BEAST^

freakystone
07-15-2002, 06:20 PM
And they might not...

Of all of the rides I have owned, Honda's have been the most reliable. I have an 85' 200S and NEVER checked the air filter or changed the oil. I sold it in 89' and it ran fine. Of course I wouldnt treat quads like that now but back then I didnt know any better.

You look at quads now and obviously the four strokes are catching up to the 2 stroked of the mid to late 80's (not the LT500). So what else can be dont to sensible sized cc's? I think the LTZ400 is about the end of the line as far as old technology goes. C Dales are the wave of the future. Not just because of the EFI, but also the aftermarket parts. People rave about the awesome 400EX. Heck I loved my 400EX. But serious riders mod the heck of of them; big bore kits, a arms, axles, bars, shocks, etc. etc. The C dale is there.

So really, if Honda comes out with a new quad and it is the CRF450. Do we really think it will be race caliber like the C Dale? Honda isnt and has never been that bold since the 250R. And even the R had to be modded. The Tecate ate up the R in stock form. You look at the old school technology 4 stroke carbed engines and only a few have really been built for stock performance if you look at the specs.

- liquid cooling
- 4 valve head
- dual overhead cam
- high compression ratio
- high rev limit

What 4 strokers fit this description?

- Mojave
- LTZ400
- C Dales

??? I know, "Mojave", dont laugh. But really, why arent more quads utilizing these engine features for a better stock quad?

Rastus
07-16-2002, 12:33 PM
I agree,tech. is catching up,like you said, only three are that way.Why couldnt companies have more race ready stuff?

Z400central
07-16-2002, 03:21 PM
I think this is the best quote yet

3. The Z400 looks like a cross between a Raptor and a 400EX but Suzuki was copied by all of the other manufacturers when they all added a 4th wheel.
WHo cars anymore,you ride what you ride....

BTW-for Z400 talk, head over to Z400central.com

http://www.z400central.com

Pro400EXC
07-17-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by freakystone

The only thing brand loyalty provides you is an out of date quad.

OK I am getting tired of hearing about how the 400ex is Dated. The only think that is dated is air-cooling. thats all. I mean you wanna talk about dated,talk about a Warrior,Banshee,and Blaster, they have been the same since 1987 and so on.

The 400ex is only 4yrs old.

Also, who cares about a Drag Race,all it shows is no skills what so ever. Take it to the track,or leave it on the trailer.

Also,mthese z400's beating everyone and there cousin's at the track? maybe the z400 rider was better than the others.

There are no two riders alike. Look at the pro's, yah they are all good,but some way some how,one is better than the other (unless you are talkin dirtbikes and Ricky Carmichael,he is better than everyone,hehe)

I guess I am a Major Honda fan,but i am glad we are having more and more High-Perf quads comin out, its starting to be like the dirtbikes, we have a 125 class and a 250 class kinda now.

One more thing, it should be a while before any new Honda sport quad comes out, cause they wanna spend alot of time in Bikes.

I mean look at Carmichael dominating the outdoors,or Hayden winnin on his Street Bike.

There really isn't a dominate rider in the Pro MX Quad class,if we can get a guy to win almost every race oon a 250Rl,maybe then Honda will say hey, masybe we should put a lil more R&D in our quads,so we can see more of that.

And also, Honda does put a paten on some of its stuff, like the 250R frame geometry,and there front brake line routing on the dirtbikes, Honda runs shorter brake line on the front,which gives them better brake,but the other companys can't do it because Hopnda thought of it first,and then patened it. Just like when they gave more money to Nissin brakes a feww yrs back,so that yamaha couldn't run NISSIN,and had to run ALBENDAGO or something liek that,which wasn't as good.

Honda doesn't take any bold steps since the 250r? So the 400ex didn't start all of this new High-Perf qquad class goin again?

One more thing, if everyone copied Suzuki by addind the 4th wheel,then everyone copied Honda by adding the 3rd wheel (Honda made the first 3wheeler) yes I know they aren't made anymore,but i am just saying.

Honda has the money to do what ever they want,but as long as Carmichael Holeshots his CR and rides it to victory, Honda will continue puttin more R&D into the dirtbike industrie.

Pro400EXC
07-17-2002, 02:57 AM
One more thing, I will never switch to a z400,unless a rider who is not as fast as me,and always finish's outta the top 5 pass's me on the track,then I may consider one,but until then, I will be coming by there a s s on my out-dated 400ex slow POS no good, air cooled, good for nothing, raggedy, hunk of junk Honda machine,that has no power to even move outta a wet paper bag (i am just saying what it sounds like some of you say about it sometimes.)

I mean,some of you talk about a 400ex like it can't move outta its own way in wet grass.

VooDuu Child
07-17-2002, 11:18 AM
I think the ex is a great machine. Any machine that can get a rep for rock solid for how well it holds up is great. I think people are tired of hearing, if it ain't honda, I won't ride it and how much Suzi sucks. Who cares what the brand is. Personally, I think brand loyalty only leads to things like Harleys, you pay too much for what you get, then spend more time wrenching than riding. Honda's rule. Suzuki's rule. Yamaha's rule. They're all good in their own respects. Get tired of hearing that the Z's faster than the ex? Honda will come out with something soon I'm sure. The Z to me only has liquid cooling and dual overhead cams over the ex. Everything else is ABOUT the same. Ride whatcha like, love whatcha ride. No sense in doggin somebody else's ride cause it's different, it just doesn't gain anything for anyone. PS, I have nothing against those who love and ride harleys, but I get tired of hearing them all talk trash about anything that ain't a harley.

07-19-2002, 11:04 AM
I think this industy IS turning into a lot like the dirtbike industy, and that IS good. There SHOULD be quads that are equal, to some extent, it is all preference. it really sucks to have people that think hondas are the only decent rides, yea, they are good quads, but that doesnt mean that suzuki didnt just come up with something better, and people need to accept that, not insult people because they have what they feel is a better quad.