PDA

View Full Version : back up starter kick or recoil

DAVE14
01-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I stalled my 440 ex the other day in the woods got her flooded a bit pulled the air filter off etc . tryin to dry it out a bit or get enough air to fire but drained my battery & couldnt really bump start it in the snow ,after finding some people & a good pull it bumped over no problem but if Ide of had a recoil or a kickstart which I think the xr 400s have maybe this b.s. might have been avoided any one know about a recoil or kick option for an ex ?

stc416rider
01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
no u cant put a kick on u would need a new bottom end

zeppelin
01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
and its pretty unlikely you'd be able to pull a recoil even if you got one to work

ill_lil_romey
01-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Heres what U do when the bike is flooded: Turn the petcock to the off position. Push the red ignition button the the off position. Push and hold the start button while pumping the throttle five time. Let it rest for about a minute and do it again. Then turn the ignition on, turn the fuel petcock on and push the starter with no throttle. It should start right up. It has always worked for me even in cold weather and I have the choke removed. I did the same on my friends 400 and 300 and it works every time.

DAVE14
01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
thanks man i hope I never again have to try that but its good to know but when the battery goes dead in a hurry your s.o.l any way if Ide of had the traction for a bump start things might of been different but stuck between 2 major hills with very little run Ide of probably had a heart attack pushin before it fired!

Rip_Tear
01-10-2006, 09:00 AM
another thing you can do, although annoying is take the spark plug out, dry it off on a rag or shirt whatever, and try again, doing what ill_lil_romey said aswell as the spark plug thing is pretty mush sure fire, and gives you something to do well waiting.

red2004 TRX450R
01-11-2006, 12:45 PM
if its flooded hold the throttle wide open till it startes. should take less than 20 seconds!

DAVE14
01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I did hold her open I waited a few minutes several times but there just wasnt much juice left to crank