PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Blaster...need some info

Blurry
01-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I picked up an 03 Blaster last week and I really like it. Many people have told me that the Blasters respond very well to aftermarket parts. I've been browsing though Dennis kirk and notice alot of parts, like FMF and DG. What other brands/parts are out there....what would be a good one to do first???

SET THE STAGE
01-09-2006, 04:43 PM
okay first off... let's drop the thought of buying any DG or FMF for that matter.

in fact let's drop the idea of buying from Dennis Kirk. they're stuff is WAAAYYY overpriced. i recommend www.rockymountainatv.com for buying any parts. they have extremely low priced stuff. they have tires there for cheap also (razr's, knarly's, and klaw's for 40 each tire)

i'll take you through step by step what to do to your blaster first.

1. the very first thing you'll want to do to your blaster is buy an exhaust. now like i said before don't even bother looking at FMF or DG. DG's are just like modified versions of the stock exhaust. and FMF aren't bad but there are much better ones out there. a good exhaust for you would be a Phantom which can be found here.. ( http://www.vcatv.com/PBexhaust.htm ) it's the very first one. or if you're willing to spend a lot of money then i'd go for an LRD which is about 400.. expensive, but worth every penny. ( http://www.lrdperformance.com/ (http://www.lrdperformance.com/cgi-bin/shop/category_detail.cgi?id=YBPTA00001&cat=Exhaust%20Systems&atv=Yamaha%20Blaster) ) after you've gotten an exhaust and whatnot your next bet would be to get a good filter. i prefer uni, it doesn't allow as much flow as a k&n but it's much safer. foam filters are better at keeping all sort of stuff from getting into your engine.

2. okay now you need to work on handling a bit. i'm sure you've noticed the bubbly rear tires they come with. for you i'd suggest getting some 20 inch Kenda Knarly's which are about 45 each tire and are great for all terrains. you can find them here. http://www.rockymountainatv.com/ .. now that you've gotten tires it's time to get rid of the horrible stock handlebars. i personally love the feel of Pro Taper SE's. i own a pair and they're absolutely amazing. i got them in the ATV Mid bend which is perfect.

3. suspension now. i suggest getting a nice set of a-arms. aftermarket a-arms will extend the front end out and make it wider and more stable. you can get a good set of ASR a-arms for about 390 right now. http://quadpartsguy.com/YamahaBlaster.html next you'll want to try to get an extended axle for the same reason as you got your a-arms. to make it wider and more stable. now most people will tell you to get a good like 400 dollar axle. i beg to differ when it comes to the 03+ year blasters. for the 03+ years you can get a used banshee axle and swap it right over and this adds 3.5 inches. banshee axles go for any from 50 - 100. and they're about the same length as an aftermarket one for a blaster. NOTE: this doesn't work for 02 and under year blasters! okay now that that's taken care of you'll want to get some good suspension. now the best suspension for a budget is definitely Works Performance ( http://worksperformance.com/html/home.html ) you most likely won't need a rear shock for now but the front suspension needs to go. you can get a pair of non-reservoir at steelers for about 320 i think which is a very good price for aftermarket shocks. most range from 500-700 (like Elkas, Pep, Custom Axis)

all that and you'll have one pretty nice modded blaster. it's not cheap i know but you get what you pay for ;)

oh and don't think that's all there is to ATV's and modding them. there's endless possibillities whether it's swapping an engine (not recommended) or getting a full port and polish job (only recommend that if you're racing). just search around and you'll find some good stuff.

here's another good forum with lots of friendly people that will glady help you out.. http://pbforums.mxadrenaline.com/index.php

hope this helps!

bradley300
01-10-2006, 07:56 AM
you might also want to take a look at the blaster build up at the top of the page!

Blurry
01-10-2006, 09:26 AM
SET THE STAGE, thanks for the info and links, they're just what I'm looking for.

bradly, I did read the blaster build up and got some much needed info from it. I also like the race reports.

As far as the exhaust goes (pipe and silencer), will I need to rejet the carb? If so, how difficult is it? I wrench on my bike and race truck, so installing/modifying on my own isn't a problem.

What is a reed valve and how significant is the power increase?

bradley300
01-10-2006, 09:46 AM
you will need to rejet, and its extremly easy on the stock carb. with the ir box lid on, you'll need a 260 main or so, with out the lid, you'll need about a 310 and move the needle down one notch

bradley300
01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Blurry

What is a reed valve and how significant is the power increase?

the reed valve opens and closes the passage between the carb and motor. similar to a cam on a fourstroke, but a reed valve only controls the intake side. good power gains, i suggest a v-force 2 or 3 cage and reeds, you will need to rejet once you get these put in also

Blurry
01-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
the reed valve opens and closes the passage between the carb and motor. similar to a cam on a fourstroke, but a reed valve only controls the intake side. good power gains, i suggest a v-force 2 or 3 cage and reeds, you will need to rejet once you get these put in also
Thanks for the info. I take it an FMF or Dynojet jet kit will support the modifications I want to do; pipe, silencer and reed.

Now, my 03 is oil injected, and with the addition of these parts, would I need to richen the mixture, maybe add a little oil to the tank (unless there a way to increase the flow from the oil tank), or just leave it alone?

SET THE STAGE
01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I take it an FMF or Dynojet jet kit will support the modifications I want to do; pipe, silencer and reed.

Now, my 03 is oil injected, and with the addition of these parts, would I need to richen the mixture, maybe add a little oil to the tank (unless there a way to increase the flow from the oil tank), or just leave it alone?

it'd be best to just take the injector off honestly and then just mix it yourself. there's been quite a few cases of the injector failing and then the top-end locks up. you can buy a block-off kit just about anywhere for about 30 bucks and it's worth every penny

01-10-2006, 08:12 PM
toomey b-1

bradley300
01-11-2006, 07:51 AM
your best bet is to take the oil injector off, its a 2003, so its due to go out anytime now, go on and pre-mix 40:1. and dont buy a jet kit, the main jets are about 2.50 a piece at a local race shop

dirtmomma
01-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
you will need to rejet, and its extremly easy on the stock carb. with the ir box lid on, you'll need a 260 main or so, with out the lid, you'll need about a 310 and move the needle down one notch

Dang is the stock carb on the 03 bigger than all others :huh :huh we have lots of porting work a 36mm carb & bigger piston & we BARELY run a 300 main in our carb!!!!!!! That's w/ absouloutly NO air box. Sounds a pretty fat to me but then again I'm @ sea level so what do I know :)

And YES take the injector off, you can do it for free too :D:D we took this off of both our blasters & our mini we actually run them both @ 32:1 :)

Blurry
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma And YES take the injector off, you can do it for free too :D:D we took this off of both our blasters & our mini we actually run them both @ 32:1 :)
For free? How?

SET THE STAGE
01-13-2006, 12:21 PM
For free? How?

http://s13.invisionfree.com/PlanetBlaster/index.php?showtopic=508

it tells you how to on there

SET THE STAGE
01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Dang is the stock carb on the 03 bigger than all others :huh :huh we have lots of porting work a 36mm carb & bigger piston & we BARELY run a 300 main in our carb!!!!!!! That's w/ absouloutly NO air box. Sounds a pretty fat to me but then again I'm @ sea level so what do I know :)

that's because bigger carbs run with smaller jets. if you had a blaster with ONLY lets say a 30mm carb. you'd be running i think around a 130 main jet. I THINK. that's not exact but it's around there i believe

bwamos
01-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
And YES take the injector off, you can do it for free too :D:D we took this off of both our blasters & our mini we actually run them both @ 32:1 :)

Agree injector off. Faulty injectors have locked up more blasters than anyhting I know. (Well, second only to stupid people of course.)

On the pre mix. You usually want to follow the mix reccomendation on the premix oil, correct? I beleive different ones have different requirements. I'm not a 2-stroke guy, but I think I'm at least semi correct. Could be wrong though.

SET THE STAGE
01-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
On the pre mix. You usually want to follow the mix reccomendation on the premix oil, correct? I beleive different ones have different requirements. I'm not a 2-stroke guy, but I think I'm at least semi correct. Could be wrong though.

you're right about the oil for the most part. although if it says like 40:1 on the bottle. it's okay to mix it at like 50:1 or 32:1. just don't mix 100:1 at like 32:1. that could be bad in the long run

ALSO once you start using one type of oil.. STICK TO IT. switching off and on with different oils can cause engine wear a bit faster