PDA

View Full Version : 450r Question

chal23
01-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I've got an 05 450r with about 10 hours on it and when I am starting from a dead stop in 1st gear the motor makes this horrible noise like the RPM's are too low and the whole top end of the motor is going to explode. Is this normal, I have never had one of these bikes before and all my friends ride Yamahas so I can't even compare with them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kawasaki_ridah
01-10-2006, 06:26 AM
what kind of sounds is it making, it could be something as simple as something being loose, or you could need to adjust your valves. did you run it really hard when you first got it or did you take it easy and break it in?

chal23
01-10-2006, 06:37 AM
The sound is really hard to explain. Do you know when you let the RPM's drop on an engine and then you give it some gas so it doesn't stall, the engine usually makes some sort of noise like a knock or rattle of some sort, could be any type of engine.

I did break it in nice and easy, I rode it for the first few hours then let it sit for 30 minutes or so and rode it again totaling about 6 hours.

This noise was present from the time I picked it up brand new. It might not be anything but I do not hear it on any other quad.

I also changed the oil and filter after the first ride.

chad cavagnaro
01-10-2006, 06:48 AM
i have an 06 model and it will do the same thing, make a knocking noise at low rpm's under a load, like going up a steep hill and at the brink of dying. when the rpm's increase it quits, so i don't worry about it.
when you and i get an aftermarket pipe we won,t have to hear it anymore!!:cool:

chal23
01-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Thanks, you made a good observation about going up a hill and at the top at low RPM's it makes the noise, do you think I should turn up my idle?

01-10-2006, 07:03 AM
The 450R has a very noisey engine until you get used to it. If it has stock exhaust you will hear it more.

chad cavagnaro
01-10-2006, 08:17 AM
really it is a non issue... it will happen regardless of what you do.
the suggestion of getting an aftermarket exhaust, doen't have to be all that loud, will help alot. my quad has a stock exhaust on it now, and can,t wait to get a.m. exhaust. it helps me to ride better.

Aaronb
01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I know what your talking about, mine does the same thing. For some reason you cant let it idle down alot in 1st gear. I usually just play with the clutch a little and dont let it get down in to low of rpm's.

kawasaki_ridah
01-10-2006, 03:55 PM
just don't lug it:blah: wide open!! :D It's a honda it will be okay. lol nah but seriously i think you're just fine ;)

WideEfnOpen
01-18-2006, 06:38 PM
the noise you are hearing is definately your clutch chattering 100% guaranteed

XCRACER26
01-18-2006, 07:07 PM
dont worry about it, the yamaha does it to, just not as noticeable.