PDA

View Full Version : Paint Stripper

xx3003xrdrxx
01-09-2006, 01:43 PM
im taking the old paint off of my R motor , what paint stripper works well and will not attack the aluminum. Thank you -

Hondacrf15
01-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Let me see........I believe there are only 2 that will work!!!!!!!!!!

Cr85rRida
01-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I use air craft stripper( name of it ) It works great. If you get it make sure you lay it on in one direction ( like dont paint it on brush it on going onl up or down or where ever but in that one dircetion) Wait a while( lik e 30-45min) and go back when its drry it should chip right off.

xx3003xrdrxx
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
thanks , but ... I couldnt quite folllow you after reading that 3 or 4 times... Think you or anyone else could restate that or give me there method ?

Hondacrf15
01-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Chris,,
Get inexpensive brake fluid and sook the parts in it. Paint will flake right off and I do not think it will harm aluminum. It will not harm plastics.

xx3003xrdrxx
01-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Im not setting my motor is a bucketfull of brakefluid. That wouldnt be the best way to get the paint off I dont think ? lol

Tom TRX250R
01-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Like CR85rRida stated, use aircraft stripper, it works great to remove any paint!

Cr85rRida
01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Ok Let me re-phrase for ya. Get Air Craft stripper. Now what i ment was, When you go and put it on brush it in one direction.

It has chemicals in it which get trapped on the part and eat away the paint, if you "paint" it on then the chemicals will ecscape and it will not work to it greatest.

Now that thats cleared up after you have it on let it dry nice (takes like 30 - 45 mins)

After that take a small razor or what ever flat tool you have and gently scrape the paint off. It should chip right off. Try not to scratch the metal though.

Ok i hope that was clearer, you might want to pick up some poliching cream to get a nice shine. Good luck!:)

Tom TRX250R
01-09-2006, 07:50 PM
I have also used an aircraft stripper in an aerosol can, I feathered it on like spray paint and waited about a half hour and it scraped right off. I went to my local specialty auto paint store to get it.

Pvt. Maggot
01-09-2006, 09:44 PM
My usual method for stripping paint would be to use Aircraft stripped in the spray can, put on a thick coat, let it sit, and then using a cordless drill with a wirewheel to strip the metal of its coating. This seems to work best and if your going to polish it starts the first process of sanding, not much scratching leaves a dull shine by itself. Aircraft stripper is about the best you can get in stores. Good luck :)