PDA

View Full Version : monster truck backflip possibilities ??

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 01:23 PM
my friend's uncle that has a monster truck and wants to try to do a backflip. i know that your thinking thats stupid it cant be done. but he thinks that it can and so do i. we have decided that it would be best to try it in to a pit of some sort. so here is my questions to yall, What should we fill that pit with? What kind of ramp should we use? The truck is called WILDMANN. they have a website www.wildmannracing.com tell me what you think.

400exrules
01-09-2006, 01:30 PM
i highly doubt that its possible

whats gonna cause it to spin backwards??? tire spin wont do it

400EXBill
01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Good luck with that one! :huh

Dan_Guetter
01-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Very possible......

Its all on the approach of the ramp.....there has to be some kind of speed bump before the take off of the kicker....same thing like a quad....monster can pull it.....but it might be a very expensive crash if he doesn't pull it....

wilkin250r
01-09-2006, 01:40 PM
It's possible, but extremely risky. The large tires on a monster truck can probably provide decent rotational inertia for correction in the air, but it will be much more difficult to recognize when and how much correction is needed, and I imagine there will be a much greater delay between action and effect.

Also, there is no way to "bail-out" if something goes wrong. You've got to be a good 30ft in the air to pull off a backflip on a monster truck, you'd better have a damn strong roll cage if you expect to survive landing directly upside-down.

I would do an in-depth study on ramp angles and rotational inertia long before I even start to contemplate a foam pit.

Hon300ex
01-09-2006, 01:42 PM
i think it possible. did u ever see those nitro rc truck? when they put it in reverse the truck goes rowards when its in the air. when they hit the gas it goes backwards

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 02:07 PM
will we have thought about this and what he thought was when he goes off the ramp just hammer through the rest of the gears and prey to god that it goes over haha. we have a t-maxx that we are going to try to do some runs with. we are going to also make sure that it is up to scale with the real truck.

wilkin250r
01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
A foam pit capable of landing a monster truck would be HUGE! :eek:

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 02:21 PM
i know and he wants to dig it in the ground. we haven't yet figured out what to use in the pit he was thinking about old gymnastics pads and thing like that. it would have to be deep also. any suggestions

TRX400EX02
01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Getting the truck back out of the foam pit would be a job in itself.

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 02:26 PM
we also have another one we can use to pull it out with.

400exrules
01-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
A foam pit capable of landing a monster truck would be HUGE! :eek:

and very deep to absorb all that weight comin down

Moto92
01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
I would like to give you a pre-congratulations on your win of the 06 Darwin award

CannondaleRider
01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Hon300ex
i think it possible. did u ever see those nitro rc truck? when they put it in reverse the truck goes rowards when its in the air. when they hit the gas it goes backwards

Nice technical terms there.

That is the rotational inertia everyone is talking about

One_Bad_400
01-09-2006, 02:50 PM
i dont know if it can of not... but i tell you one thing... POST THE VIDEO OF THJE FIRST ATTEMPT!!!:D

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Moto92
I would like to give you a pre-congratulations on your win of the 06 Darwin award

i hope your not talking to me.

bwamos
01-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Make sure whatever you do decide to use in the pit.. that it's fire resistant, or it will become a BBQ pit.

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
yeah that is a good idea. if it did catch on fire atleast we would have one hell of a bonfire. :D

wilkin250r
01-09-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm not so sure about a big pit in the ground. You're not planning on landing on flat ground, are you? So what use would it be to practice and analyze a landing at ground level?

You want your foam pit to be at the same height as your intended landing.

Old gymastic pads are way too dense and stiff, if I'm thinking the same thing you are. You need something really soft. I bet it is going to cost $20,000 just for the foam.

Get 200,000 couch cushions, that should do the trick.

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 03:22 PM
well we really havent got as far as the landing yet but i would think we would use a landing maybe not.

we thought that gymnastic pads would be soft enough for a 20,000 pound machine landing into it. maybe not, we just dont want anything that is going to shot use back into the air or be to soft that we hit the ground if it dosen't make it all the way around.

TheFontMaster
01-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Make a foam pit big enough to land a monster truck in are you crazy:eek2: You would need to find and old sand pit and fill that in to be big enough.

And Wilkin, I think foam to fill in a pit that big would cost alot more than 20 grand worth of foam. I remember a thread a while ago when someone said how much that foam coasts, it ain't cheap.

bigstorm
01-09-2006, 03:25 PM
flip it into water monster trucks float. id prolly rather have a blown *** motor rather than a totaled 100,000 + trucks. the motor might even survive. and just have the dude breathing out of an air tank.

-storm

Atkins
01-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Well monster trucks are locked in 4wd, so wont the front and rear rotational inertias of the front and rear tires cancel each other out?

Tommy 17
01-09-2006, 03:28 PM
its a big physics problem with a huge chance of ending in disaster... chances are ur dead:o

01-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Use 2 super kickers about 5-10 feet apart for a take off

01-09-2006, 03:35 PM
tell him to get 2 huge kickers and a foam pit to practice:devil:

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Atkins
Well monster trucks are locked in 4wd, so wont the front and rear rotational inertias of the front and rear tires cancel each other out?

i was thinking the samething but then i remember that they said bigfoot or another truck is the only truck that can take it out of 4 wheel drive, i could be wrong probly am, but thats what i remember.

So if we could do that then i think that we would have a better chance of accomplishing the backflip.

If we have a foam pit then i dont think that there would be a problem with getting the right angle of the ramp or all of that other junk we need.

Dan_Guetter
01-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Storm, Water = drowning

You better off just trying it; first try.....foam pit for a truck will never work.....

02Yellow400
01-09-2006, 03:57 PM
rotational inertia is fine....but arent monster trucks 4wd all the time? Because thats not going to provide any spin if it is

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 04:11 PM
why won't a foam pit work?

SGA
01-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Moto92
HAHA, Thats funny! I dont think he meant that in a bad way, he was just having some fun.

Its a huge risk to flip that truck, but.... They told carmichael and others for years a back flip on a bike couldnt be done along with half the other tricks they pull. So with that said, good luck!

If you've never checked out the Darwin Awards, they are great! :D

http://www.darwinawards.com/main.html

ImWhite
01-09-2006, 04:19 PM
dude,i want a monster truck

o yea good luck with whatever u decide to do with that and can i c a video when its done?

wilkin250r
01-09-2006, 05:09 PM
The rotational inertia of the tires do not cancel each other out, 4WD or not. The only way they could cancel each other out is if they were going in the opposite direction (like one going foward and the other in reverse).

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 05:29 PM
yeah i know what the darwin awards are i just dont think that it really applies to me, but thats ok i can take a joke.

Aceman
01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Make sure before he gets in the monster truck he says "Dude, hold my beer. Watch this." That would be classic. :D

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 05:49 PM
haha thats funny, but probly the truth.

TheFontMaster
01-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by RobbRacer
yeah i know what the darwin awards are i just dont think that it really applies to me, but thats ok i can take a joke.

When your in that truck upside down and crashing to earth from 40 feet in the air, and you are about to crash onto the roof of the truck, you will be thinking damn this really is worthy of winning a dawin award:devil: :blah:

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 06:02 PM
i guess i will aleast be winning something, dead or alive.

derekhonda
01-09-2006, 06:04 PM
in all honesty, if you guys are serious about doing this....i strongly suggest you consult other people outside of atvriders.com before an attempt

quadfamily
01-09-2006, 06:08 PM
GIT ER DONE !!!!!!!!!

RobbRacer
01-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
in all honesty, if you guys are serious about doing this....i strongly suggest you consult other people outside of atvriders.com before an attempt

oh yes diffently, i was just seeing what everyone's thoughts were.

pastfast125
01-09-2006, 06:50 PM
spend most of your time working on the roll cage:D

pastfast125
01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
land it in a glad trash bag..werked in the commercial

:D

user101
01-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125
land it in a glad trash bag..werked in the commercial

:D

yea...use the forceflex bags, they won't break!!!

rollie
01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I think a monster truck backflip is possible, but its all in how the ramp is built, i mean, a 200 poud person obviously doesnt have the power to muscle a monster truck around, so all they would have to do is hit the gas and flip, no real skill in it IMO:ermm:

it would still be pretty cool to see

kicken250x
01-09-2006, 08:43 PM
have you ever seen that clip in one of the crusty movies where the guy is in mid backflip and comes down upside down...? ok...no picture a monster truck...with about 30 DOM tubes being the only thing holding up 20,000 lbs... yes...DOM is strong...but not that strong...idk how to figure it out but 20,000 lbs moving at 20 mph is a LOT of force on what you have there for safety...its not going to be done the first time....there wont be a pit big enough unless you have a bazillion dollars for foam and a crane to pull the truck out with...basicly...this is another slimjim commercial waiting to happen only with death and distruction instead of just getting hurt...."CHECK OUT THAT LOGO!"

TRX_450
01-09-2006, 09:13 PM
i saw the truck at the truck rally at the kansas expo centre last year

321racer
01-09-2006, 09:24 PM
if he does end up doing a backflip in a monster truck i will buy a plane ticket and go tell him personally that he is my hero!

TheX1992
01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I think that the truck has enough torque to get a good start on the rotation. I can imagine the jump being very steep and almost straight up and down. Good height, but no distance.

pastfast125
01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
yea, landing is gonna be a BIG issue..let's say he does make it all the way around and gets it back to 4 wheels. IF you think about how high he's coming down from, It's probably gonna break just about everything imaginable I would think. And thats reealy gonna hurt, schedule chiropractor appointments ahead of time. I have seen monster trucks jump a 747 or something and he was probably...oo 25 ft high maybe..and that wass a pretty rough landing, add another 20 ft on to that, thats gonna be brutal. That's if he even gets it all the way around. jump it in to the grand canyon with a parachute:D

quad9
01-10-2006, 04:21 AM
i think i would contact 1 of the best drivers and ask him about it. Tom Ments.
if anybody knows how to flip a truck it will be him.
i will see him in about 3 weeks, i think i will ask Tom about this stunt and if he thinks it can be done.
fyi kicken250x most monster trucks only weigh 10k -12k lbs

ak_stick
01-10-2006, 05:48 AM
It wont happen.

I'm no expert, but I am a helicopter mechanic, so I have a little bit of experince with flying thru the air, and impact landings and such.

First of all, you'd need a huge ramp to get somthing like that to happen, with a SERIOUS kicker on it, we're talking almost a straight vertical launch to get the kind of rotation you need going. Your also gonna have to take into acount speed and lenght of your truck, because when the front end hits the kicker and begins to rotate, you've still got alot of vehicle to get up the ramp and to the kicker. If it goes too fast, your gonna impact frame on the kicker.

But even if you get the speed, and the rotation, landing is gonna be the deal breaker.

If he lands upside down, he's dead. The roll cage will flatten, it wont handle the stress, look at what happens when a airplane crashes, an airplane is waaay stronger than a moster truck and they get ripped apart. The stresses on the frame are gonna be into the 10-15 G range if not more, so your talking warping the frame, stress cracking the shock mounts ect. The only way to land it would be a perfect flat touch down, or slightly nose high, if your front touches, it'll prolly rip in half when the rear comes slamming down, because the frame is gonna warp. You'll have to take anotehr look at the engine and mount bolts for everything, to make sure they're in great shape and can handle that kind of stress, otherwise they might shear. Drive shafts, axles, everything thats not welded will need to be tight, and top notch or bolts will snall off, ect.

It would probably be easier to build a truck from the ground up with the expressed interest of flips, rather than try and convert yours to it. Otherwise its a death trap waiting to happen.

Atkins
01-10-2006, 06:21 AM
You dont need to build a huge ramp at all. Just find the right hill to cut a jump into.

rollie
01-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Just put a matress on the roof:D

Atkins
01-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Just fill a football stadium with old mattresses.:p

jwick07
01-10-2006, 07:45 AM
I would think that you would need two rollcages. The main cage that all monster trucks have, maybe beef it up a little then a second cage styled after a topfule dragster. And then say your prayers and then kiss your arse goodbye because its a death wish. But hey who are we to stop you.

"Here's your sign."

SGA
01-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by jwick07
"Here's your sign."

You got a flat tire?

Nope, the other three just up and filled with air! :o

red2004 TRX450R
01-10-2006, 12:10 PM
i was thinking the samething but then i remember that they said bigfoot or another truck is the only truck that can take it out of 4 wheel drive, i could be wrong probly am, but thats what i remember.

So if we could do that then i think that we would have a better chance of accomplishing the backflip.

If we have a foam pit then i dont think that there would be a problem with getting the right angle of the ramp or all of that other junk we need.

you could just remove the drive shaft!!!

bwamos
01-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Don't the Hollywood stunt guys use Cardboard Boxes stacked up about 20ft high to land their cars in?. Just make a giant double walled cardboard box landing block about 50ft high.. lol.

yamablaster24
01-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Steps to successful landing of monster truck backflip

1. Ask a bunch of Rocket Scientists on ATV forum that have all done backflips on Monster Trucks themselves.
2. Pre Construct the jump with a scale model Remote Control Truck.

If both the forum say it will work, and the truck lands the backflip no problem. Then do it. Don't even worry about if something doesnt go as planned it will never happen. Your guarenteed success.

"are you here to look at christmas trees?, naw, me n my boy had to use the restroom and it looked like the perfect oppurtinity"

Heres your sign..

RobbRacer
01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
Steps to successful landing of monster truck backflip

1. Ask a bunch of Rocket Scientists on ATV forum that have all done backflips on Monster Trucks themselves.
2. Pre Construct the jump with a scale model Remote Control Truck.

If both the forum say it will work, and the truck lands the backflip no problem. Then do it. Don't even worry about if something doesnt go as planned it will never happen. Your guarenteed success.

"are you here to look at christmas trees?, naw, me n my boy had to use the restroom and it looked like the perfect oppurtinity"

Heres your sign..

look here you little stupid son of a *****. its not like were are a bunch of stupid *** people trying to do something to kill ourselves. i just posted this to see what people thought. if you are going to come on here a say stupid **** then dont come at all. i hate little *****es like you. so STFU!!

Loser450
01-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ak_stick

I'm no expert, but I am a helicopter mechanic, so I have a little bit of experince with flying thru the air, and impact landings and such.

I'm no expert... but I did stay at a holiday inn xpress last night...
:devil:

yamablaster24
01-10-2006, 02:36 PM
look here you little stupid son of a *****. its not like were are a bunch of stupid *** people trying to do something to kill ourselves. i just posted this to see what people thought. if you are going to come on here a say stupid **** then dont come at all. i hate little *****es like you. so STFU!!

Dude just face the facts, your uncle has a nice *** monster truck and one day you and him were talkin how it would be awesome to do a back flip on it. You come to this forum to brag about it even though it will never happen.

quad9
01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
why is it that so many threads end up in a pissing match??

when somebody just had an idea, and wanted a little input.??

RobbRacer
01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by quad9
why is it that so many threads end up in a pissing match??

when somebody just had an idea, and wanted a little input.??

thanks you,
thats the only reason that i post this thread. now as for yamablaster24, you dont know how we came of this idea and if you would read me first post right then you would read that it not my uncle, it my friends uncle. know all of your facts before you start running your mouth.

now i am not saying that its the brightest idea out there but it an idea. so like i said before if you dont have anything good to say then dont post!

muddy400EX
01-10-2006, 03:02 PM
i guess it would prolly be possible, but you would need a huge ramp, alot of speed and alot of air. and...the guy drivin is probably gonna die:ermm:

ak_stick
01-10-2006, 03:06 PM
sounds to me like you cooked up a scheme you thought would be cool, and now your mad because you dont like the answers your getting.

You asked for oppinions on it, you got them, dont be mad that most people think its crazy, it is, you dont have the background, knowledge, or funding to undertake somthing like this, so if you do, your going to get someone hurt, and destroy the truck.

Sounds cool on paper, doesn't work in reality.

RobbRacer
01-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ak_stick
sounds to me like you cooked up a scheme you thought would be cool, and now your mad because you dont like the answers your getting.

You asked for oppinions on it, you got them, dont be mad that most people think its crazy, it is, you dont have the background, knowledge, or funding to undertake somthing like this, so if you do, your going to get someone hurt, and destroy the truck.

Sounds cool on paper, doesn't work in reality.

thats what i wanted was there opinions, but when people start being stupid and saying stupid things then i get pissed. also you dont knwo about our backgrounds, knowledge, or our funds of money so dont say that we dont. i just wanted everyones thoughts and thats what i got stupid ones or not. they also said that doing a backflip on a bike or quad sounds good but someone is going to get hurt. yeah maybe some people have got hurt, but thats the risk you take when doing something like this.

ak_stick
01-10-2006, 03:40 PM
OK little man, lemme just disect this peice by peice.

You asked a stupid question, about back flipping a monster truck, you got a stupid answer, dont like it? dont ask stupid questions. Here's your sign.

No, I dont know your backgrounds, knowledge or funds, however, you have stated you dont have a background or knowledge of such things.

A you want to dig a pit in the ground and fill it with somthing, like foam, so yeah, you've realy thought that threw real good. Your gonna test your idea with an RC car? Oh yeah, thats scientific alright buddy. Thirdly, you asked for serious advice from a ATV forum, yeah, like any of us have experince with back flipping monster trucks......

Dont tell me about risks, I fly in helicopters for a living, I know all about them. However, only stupid people take stupid risks, and back flipping a truck that clearly can't handle the stresses you want to put it under is a stupid risk. You want to do it, go for it, I suggest a good video camera, cuz hell I'd pay to watch that SOB come apart when it gets botched.

Truth is, this is nothing more than a pipe dream. It wont happen, your truck can't handle it, you dont have a way to launch it, nor somthing to arrest the fall in a manor that wont destroy the vehicle.

You opened the can of worms, dont ***** now because you dont like what you got.

RobbRacer
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
first of all i am not a little man, and second of all were in the hell did i say that i wanted serious advice on how to do this. i just asked what everyone thought about it. and i dont care if you fly in a f-in helicopter. i may not have any past experiance but the guy has been driving the truck for about 12 yrs so hes has some experiance maybe not on a backflip but has some knowledge about how to do it.

ak_stick
01-10-2006, 03:57 PM
actualy I dont fly helicopters, I see reading isn't your fortey either. And if your buddy has been driving trucks for 12 years, he should realize how much abuse that frame can and cant take.

You brought a serious question into a topic, you get a serious answer, even if it silly.

And like I said, yeah, it seems like such a concrete plan, diggin a hole to flip into, just let me know where to send the money for a DVD of that, I'd LOVE to see it.