PDA

View Full Version : best thing to use for polishing

killen them all
01-09-2006, 11:30 AM
what is the best thing to use for polishing i just polished my lower end of my motor and what it more shiny

Pappy
01-09-2006, 11:33 AM
to properly polish you need compounds, a good buffing motor with polishing and buffing wheels.

tripoli, red rouge and white rouge are the 3 compounds most widely used.

killen them all
01-09-2006, 11:38 AM
thanks were can i find those at i started but got tierd

Pappy
01-09-2006, 12:08 PM
www.eatwoodcompany.com

www.caswellplating.com

both those websites offer everything one would need to get set up to do a good job.

2004exrider
01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I usually do it 2 different ways.

First way- You can either start out with a low grit sandpaper depending on how bad the surface it, around 180 grit and work your way up to 1500 grit. After that just wipe on some Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Keep wiping it until it becomes black or a really dark haze, then get a clean cotton cloth and wip off.

Second way- This way is a little less time consuming and somewhat cheaper. If the surface is good and doesnt have deep scratches in it then get a polishing compound, i usually use Number 7 polishing compound brand. Then apply it by hand with a cloth and then go over it slowly and even with a polishing bit on a dremel tool a couple times. After that all the scratches should be gone on it. just wipe it all off and get another clean rag and wipe on Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Now wipe down the surface with the rag and keep going over it until it turns black or a dark haze then wipe it all off. You should have a really shiny peice, i prefer this way over the top just because if done right there arent any fine scratches left on it.

Jimmy