View Full Version : gt thunder rebuild

450r4me
01-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I am about to send my shocks to gt thunder for the full rebuild and they ask what ride height you want I have no idea because I have never done anything with shocks before so any tips would be great. I race harescrambles

01-09-2006, 10:09 AM
yes, i am preparing to do the same thing. I'd like to know what people set theirs at.

i did not know they asked for a ride height.

nowukno
01-09-2006, 10:10 AM
What all do they ask for anyway?

01-09-2006, 10:16 AM
yeah, could you tell us......so i can have my information ready to go when ordering?

also, how do they set up payment?
do they take your card number and charge it immediately?

450r4me
01-09-2006, 10:19 AM
. Wheel base.
2. Axle to footpeg length.
3. A-arm length and brand.
4. Swingarm length and brand.
5. Size and type of tires both front and back.
6. Type of riding.
7. Weight of rider without gear.
8. Weight of the front of the bike.
9. Weight of the rear of the bike.
10. Heigth of the rider.
11. Desired ride height.
12. The center to center distance of all the shock mount holes at 1.5 inches of the ground. (on 2x4s) (Must have this measurement)
13. At 12 inches off the ground. (Must have this measurement)
14. At 8 inches off the ground. (desired but not essential)
15. Wheel dimensions and offset.

01-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 450r4me
. Wheel base.
2. Axle to footpeg length.
3. A-arm length and brand.
4. Swingarm length and brand.
5. Size and type of tires both front and back.
6. Type of riding.
7. Weight of rider without gear.
8. Weight of the front of the bike.
9. Weight of the rear of the bike.
10. Heigth of the rider.
11. Desired ride height.
12. The center to center distance of all the shock mount holes at 1.5 inches of the ground. (on 2x4s) (Must have this measurement)
13. At 12 inches off the ground. (Must have this measurement)
14. At 8 inches off the ground. (desired but not essential)
15. Wheel dimensions and offset.

shouldn't they already have most of this info?

Moto92
01-09-2006, 10:40 AM
that seems a little much
I have the Derisi ZPS and all he asked me was...
-what a-arms
-what swingarm
-weight with gear
-what tires
-race indoors or outdoors

MAD450r
01-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I told him I love to jump and I once in a while trail ride. I have +2 arms my weight in full gear and thats about it

He said since I do more jumping than trail riding I should do an mx setup which I did.

Moto92
01-09-2006, 12:16 PM
well if your getting the MX ZPS revalve...I think he might know your going to race MX :p
But yes he does an XC revalve too

Shawn H
01-09-2006, 12:17 PM
To properly set up your shocks, you should have all of the above info. Laz(Gt Thunder)has about 90%of the info above for certain machines,If you have a 450r then he has the info..I know that cuz I have him do my stuff.

Some companies like to have all the info to set up your shocks the more you give the better a job you get plain and simple..

He takes, credit cards, paypal, you know the usual stuff lol

FYI:I set my ride height at 7 3/4 in the rear and 8" in front. If its muddy I may change it higher.

the predator
01-09-2006, 06:41 PM
is that with you on the pegs shawn?

brian350rx
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Make sure that all those measurements are accurate. I guarantee that you will be impressed with the results (if measureed correctly). It takes a little time, but well worth it. His turn around time is pretty quick also.

01-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Shawn H
To properly set up your shocks, you should have all of the above info. Laz(Gt Thunder)has about 90%of the info above for certain machines,If you have a 450r then he has the info..I know that cuz I have him do my stuff.

Some companies like to have all the info to set up your shocks the more you give the better a job you get plain and simple..

He takes, credit cards, paypal, you know the usual stuff lol

FYI:I set my ride height at 7 3/4 in the rear and 8" in front. If its muddy I may change it higher.

how does that ride height compare to stock?
and how well does it work in the woods?

Prey
01-10-2006, 10:29 AM
in accordance with the noleen suspension set up guide...

for xc racing (with rider in full gear sitting on the bike) their reccomended ride height is between 7 - 10"

**manual states you need to assume your normal riding posistion and make sure you re-measure at that same posistion

and for anyone else who cares, noleens other reccomended ride heights are

6 - 8" for MX and
4 - 6" for TT
8 - 11" for desert/offroad

Shawn H
01-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Thats with me standing on it and at the bottom of the frame. Front measurement is 22"'s forward of the rear measurement.

You can go higher I choose to go low for better cornering. I have never had a problem with getting hung up.

How does it compare to stock,Well it is lower and not as tippy.

Works very well for me in the woods, But I ride with very good momentum lol. I have never had a problem with the set-up.