PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas?

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Hey guys I'm about to install a full Rossier Exhaust short can and a 13:1 JE piston on my 450R. I want to know if I should run 100 octane or should I run 110 octane? There's a store around my way that I was told sold both but since I'm new to this race gas thing, I was wondering what you guys were burning. And will it mess up anything by using such a high octane of gas? Your help would greatly be appreciated.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/tavaresclover/100_0682.jpg

fast-trx450r
01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
if the 100 is unleaded then i would run the 110. having the lead in the gas can only help the longevity of the top end because of its lubricating and cooling abilities for the valves.

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks for your help. So what does changing out the carb and getting different carbs help when modding your quad. Am I going to have to do that to run race gas or will the stock carberator hold up?

dirtmomma
01-09-2006, 08:24 AM
WOW nice quad :P I work w/ a guy that is a Jason FAN BIG TIME, I'll have to show him your quad he'll freak out LOL :)

as for the fuel we run 1/2 110 & 1/2 92 works nice we don't have any MAJOR mods but my brother who has a built TT500 run the same a little less costly too than running straight 110

What kind of racing do you do if any?? I just noticed you have Hoosiers up front do you flattrack or TT??

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2006, 08:46 AM
That's an old photo of my quad. I just bought a set of TT flat track racing tires for when I do some illegal street riding on my quad. The only reason they are miss matched on my quad is I get a higher top speed with the stockers on the back than I get with those skinny Hoosiers I got for the back. But I don't have them on there any more. Right now I have some Holeshots on the back and my stock tires and rims on the front until I can save up the money to get some Holeshots for the front. I mostly trail ride and race friends on some dirt drags and pave roads every now and then. Thanks for the info about the race gas. The guy that's going to do the work on my bike told me I could mix the 92 and the 110 also but I just want to make sure before I do it. I don't want to mess up anything.

bwamos
01-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Your carb will be fine. You only need to run a different fuel system if you run alcohol because it is corrosive.

nowukno
01-09-2006, 09:13 AM
I run half and half 110 and 93 and it runs great!

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys for all the help and great info. I think my next mod will be an aftermarket rev switch so I can get some more RPM's out of my motor. And with the 13:1 JE piston and Rossier Short can, does it make my quad go any faster on the top end or does these mods just get me to the old top end speed of 78mph give or take faster? Because I'm guess with just the HRC kit in my quad right now, I would say my quad tops out at around 78mph, I want to try and get my quad to around the 85-90mph range. Any other mods needed to achieve that?

nowukno
01-09-2006, 09:24 AM
If you want that kind of top speed you should try higher gearing and maybe a vortex or dyna cdi.

4LEAFCLOVER
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
So with the upgrades I'm doing now how fast do you think I'll be going then? HRC kit, Rossier short can, 13:1 JE piston

01-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by fast-trx450r
if the 100 is unleaded then i would run the 110. having the lead in the gas can only help the longevity of the top end because of its lubricating and cooling abilities for the valves.

could you run a lead additive with pump gas to further aid in longevity?

would this affect anything on a stock motor with 12:1 piston?

400exrider707
01-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 4LEAFCLOVER
So with the upgrades I'm doing now how fast do you think I'll be going then? HRC kit, Rossier short can, 13:1 JE piston

Same speed as before, just going to get there a lot faster.

fast-trx450r
01-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by force
could you run a lead additive with pump gas to further aid in longevity?

would this affect anything on a stock motor with 12:1 piston?

i don't think any lead additives have the tetra-ethyl lead in them anymore like race gas does. they would give you negligable if any benefits.
if you are still running the stock cam with 12:1 comp, i'm not sure about just pump gas. the cam is real small and i don't think there's much overlap to bleed off enough compression. i'm new to this site as well as the whole quad scene so don't my answer as gospel. i'm more into drag racing autos and the motors i deal with are a little more crude(so to speak) and wouldn't be as tolerant to low octane as these highly efficient quad valve chambers with centrally located plugs. if you have access to leaded race gas then i would mix it with pump just to be safe.

01-10-2006, 09:54 AM
i haven't bought a piston yet.
i have a hotcams stage 1 on the way. and, i'm considering a 12:1 piston. i am a little concerned about longevity with the 12:1.

MAD450r
01-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I think 12:1 should be fine. When my warrenty run's out im going for 12.5:1 since I heard thats the highest I can go on pump gas. :)