PDA

View Full Version : Bill Ballance racing on Ohlins shocks!!!!

Crashmore 22
01-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Bill was at the Mid South Hare Scramble at Maplesville, Al on Sat. with his new Ohlins on Arsfx a-arms. I wonder if everyone who ran Axis on Arsfx last year will swap since Bill made the change?!

Pappy
01-09-2006, 05:18 AM
bill could go fast if they installed 2 worn out 1978 caddilac shocks on his quad, unfortunatley if he does make a change then 98% of those that follow the leader will be then riding ohlins and claiming they are so far superior then axis blah blah balh:p

in all honesty, alot of top riders test new set ups all the time. it woud be interesting to see yet another shock company mainstream itself. that would show quads are gaining even more ground in the marketplace!

jlhughes750
01-09-2006, 05:58 AM
this is interesting!!!

Rico
01-09-2006, 05:59 AM
who is bill ballance:confused:

Jersey450R
01-09-2006, 06:00 AM
ok everybody go buy ohlins now, lol. :p wouldnt be surprising if we saw elkas make a little comeback now :devil:

Jersey450R
01-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Rico
who is bill ballance:confused:

hes that dude...you know...rides a YFZ i think:D

TBD
01-09-2006, 07:44 AM
I can't believe it, Balance running Ohlins, they must be the best shock out there if he's running it. No chance it's about the money, you think.

Pappy
01-09-2006, 07:49 AM
its all about the money anymore, didnt you get the memo:p

Chino886
01-09-2006, 08:58 AM
awesome.....now people will be dumping all their axis shocks for cheap to replace with ohlins.....:D

01-09-2006, 05:03 PM
thats pretty interesting, i wonder what ohlins is trying to talk him into

prepracing
01-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
its all about the money anymore, didnt you get the memo:p

DEFINITLY and I think Ohlins is having pretty big contingency money in the GNCC this year, so I would say there will be alot of Ohlins shock runners out there :devil:

300ex73
01-10-2006, 07:16 AM
It kills me how so many people start buying something just because the pros run it. Just like some of my friends that I ride with. They all go and buy something, because they see it on all of the pros bikes.

A couple of good examples, one of our local pros was running an LRD exhaust on his YFZ, then as soon as he got a sponsorship with Sparks, all the guys wanted to ditch their LRD's for Sparks pipes. This guy and his teammates also run Tag bars, because of a sponsorship, so you can guess which bars all of my friends decide to run. I actually asked the shop/team owner, and he says he'd rather be using Pro Taper. Also, a friend of mine decided to buy Shift riding apparel, and Fox boots, because that's what he saw all of the pros wearing. He never understood why it was that the Shift riders wore Fox boots and helmets until I explained it to him that Shift is just a division of Fox Racing. He just assumed they used Shift apparel because it was the best and Fox boots because they were the best, because it's what all of the pros use.

Anyways, through all of my rambling, I guess all I'm trying to say, is that I think it's alright to want to use parts because someone you look up to runs them. But it's a bit ridiculous to try and run everything the pros do, just because they were quoted saying "it's the best" in some magazine advertisement. They're usually just doing it to get paid. They all gotta earn their cash somehow.

TBD
01-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 300ex73
It kills me how so many people start buying something just because the pros run it. Just like some of my friends that I ride with. They all go and buy something, because they see it on all of the pros bikes.

A couple of good examples, one of our local pros was running an LRD exhaust on his YFZ, then as soon as he got a sponsorship with Sparks, all the guys wanted to ditch their LRD's for Sparks pipes. This guy and his teammates also run Tag bars, because of a sponsorship, so you can guess which bars all of my friends decide to run. I actually asked the shop/team owner, and he says he'd rather be using Pro Taper. Also, a friend of mine decided to buy Shift riding apparel, and Fox boots, because that's what he saw all of the pros wearing. He never understood why it was that the Shift riders wore Fox boots and helmets until I explained it to him that Shift is just a division of Fox Racing. He just assumed they used Shift apparel because it was the best and Fox boots because they were the best, because it's what all of the pros use.

Anyways, through all of my rambling, I guess all I'm trying to say, is that I think it's alright to want to use parts because someone you look up to runs them. But it's a bit ridiculous to try and run everything the pros do, just because they were quoted saying "it's the best" in some magazine advertisement. They're usually just doing it to get paid. They all gotta earn their cash somehow.
Very well put. That is why companies are paying the big bucks these days.

Rico
01-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TBD
Very well put. That is why companies are paying the big bucks these days.

and charging us big bucks for their products.....:scary:

shaff107
01-10-2006, 12:07 PM
R u sure that they werent just axis piggy backs ??

Crashmore 22
01-10-2006, 12:31 PM
They were Ohlins gold and they said Ohlins on the cans, so I'm pretty sure they were NOT Axis piggybacks.

deathman53
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
yep, everybody want to use what the pro's do, I notice the same thing where I ride, travis spader, jon natallie, and dunaburger are there quite often, very oddly I saw chris borsh and whole bunch of gncc guys there. the weekend after the pro's were there, riding gear changes, bars, exhuast and such change. The big 4 played into to how people are, when there were figuring out how to kill the 250r in pro racing, offer huge sponcerships to the pro's to use their "new 4 strokes" over their 250r's.

prepracing
01-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
yep, everybody want to use what the pro's do, I notice the same thing where I ride, travis spader, jon natallie, and dunaburger are there quite often, very oddly I saw chris borsh and whole bunch of gncc guys there. the weekend after the pro's were there, riding gear changes, bars, exhuast and such change. The big 4 played into to how people are, when there were figuring out how to kill the 250r in pro racing, offer huge sponcerships to the pro's to use their "new 4 strokes" over their 250r's.

I didn't think the racers had anything to do with killing the 250r, it was the racer productions rules ( although I'm sure they were influenced from somwhere ) in both GNC and GNCC that made the change. And because the top guys new the change was coming they switched early to get the equipment dialed in and get used to it. And the sponserships followed a couple years afterwords

Pappy
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
it doesnt matter to me, ill worry when the pros start running what i do, they are always so slow to catch on:devil:

01-10-2006, 07:45 PM
it doesnt matter to me, ill worry when the pros start running what i do, they are always so slow to catch on:devil:

ya i was wondering when they were going to be running square wheels again...:blah:

Pappy
01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
id be interested in most any part that holds up to a pro's abuse, but from what ive seen most of them get newer parts way more often then the average schlep so i started listening more to A class riders for what was working. they are fast, but not as smooth as a pro so they tend to beat on stuff. they are getting deals but not much for free so they have to spend wisely. a set of a arms could be awesome, but if the ball joints fail every 2 races wtf good are they?

i am still waiting on my ballance action figure with pro taper grip to hit the market:devil:

01-10-2006, 07:58 PM
i am still waiting on my ballance action figure with pro taper grip to hit the market:devil:

haha

you can even pull the string and it makes reving noises...:huh :chinese:

blasterkid
01-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by deathman53

i live right next to travis, i have to disagre with u i dont see people changing to what they are riding. Dunk uses ohlins, travis uses axis and natalie uses fox. I feel people buy what in their area. Jrd is a few hours from us so everyone around here buys jrd stuff. Im sponsored by jrd so im not really following the crowd im running the parts from who i like and what i like and in all honesty whats cheepest for me. So in conclusion im disagreing with u.

01-10-2006, 08:03 PM
i agree, spend your money with those who support you

the people helping you most deserve the most in return, end of story, thats where your money belongs

Pappy
01-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
haha

you can even pull the string and it makes reving noises...:huh :chinese:

i hope so, my Yokely action figure doesnt make reving noises:ermm:

01-10-2006, 08:29 PM
i hope so, my Yokely action figure doesnt make reving noises:ermm:

i heard bill ballance can fly :eek2:

ranger400ex
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Ohlins and Yamaha are working very closely together, only makes sense for Bill to help in that partnership.

Their is a new setup coming to the states..which have been around for a while ...Stadium Suspension. I will have a full write up on their setups in the next couple weeks.

Rico
01-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
Ohlins and Yamaha are working very closely together, only makes sense for Bill to help in that partnership.

Their is a new setup coming to the states..which have been around for a while ...Stadium Suspension. I will have a full write up on their setups in the next couple weeks.

AIM supsension......:scary:

ranger400ex
01-11-2006, 11:20 AM
AIM is the distributor...Stadium Susp is the actual product. Fred owns AIM who is a distributor and suspension guy.

BMW

Rico
01-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
AIM is the distributor...Stadium Susp is the actual product. Fred owns AIM who is a distributor and suspension guy.

BMW

I know i spoke with him 2 weeks ago....:D

jlhughes750
01-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Attention!!!!!!!!!!! I am now accepting doanations of unwanted Axis and ARSFX for the YFZ's!!!!! now that they will no longer work for GNCC racing, please get rid of them!!! please PM me for my shipping address or I can pick up at your location!!!!:D :devil:

Seriusly.... I run Gibson and Axis... I run Gibson cause the were free and he's a close friend and I want to help them out and advertise for them...but mostly cause they were free!!!!!! I am not saying I will run something just cause uts free.....I had free stuff from another so called builder and it was junk, and I would not even run it for free(totally off the subject, sorry)!!!!

Anyhow.........heres the point I run Gibson now......but if I were paying and doing it again.....then I'd run what Ballance ran....simply cause of the testing....He's on like the 5th generation of XC arms, they've changed the angles,caster and camber drastically several times to make them better and better....now they have to be the best XC set up out there for the Yami!!!!! beside my Gibson/Axis set up of course!!!

If I were an MXer I'd be all over Fox and Gibson this year cause thats what Natalie was on last year......not just cause he rode with it, but because he tested it and got a good basic setup for Fox to work on for the average racer!!!! This year he's runnin Elka and Roll........after an entire season of dialing in and changing specs to his liking, can u see how next year the shock avaiable to the average A racer will be better than it was before Natalie helped out!!!! thats why i think alot of people by what the pros run..

TBD
01-11-2006, 01:01 PM
jlhughes 750, I'm not saying you're wrong but just because there a pro level rider doesn't mean that they understand suspension. I have worked with many pro riders doing testing and have found very few to truelly understand what the suspension is doing. Most just know how to haul butt on whatever they climb on.

Pappy
01-11-2006, 01:53 PM
hey Jhughes,

has gibson fixed the fault in their arms? several sets have beenthru here in the past weeks and all had grease zerks but they do nothing. there is no where or way for grease to get into the spherical ball joint, only to the outside of the ball joint. makes for easier removal but does jack for the ball joint itself. i figured maybe you know what the deal is or if it was just one of them things.

01-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
Attention!!!!!!!!!!! I am now accepting doanations of unwanted Axis and ARSFX for the YFZ's!!!!! now that they will no longer work for GNCC racing, please get rid of them!!! please PM me for my shipping address or I can pick up at your location!!!!:D :devil:

Seriusly.... I run Gibson and Axis... I run Gibson cause the were free and he's a close friend and I want to help them out and advertise for them...but mostly cause they were free!!!!!! I am not saying I will run something just cause uts free.....I had free stuff from another so called builder and it was junk, and I would not even run it for free(totally off the subject, sorry)!!!!

Anyhow.........heres the point I run Gibson now......but if I were paying and doing it again.....then I'd run what Ballance ran....simply cause of the testing....He's on like the 5th generation of XC arms, they've changed the angles,caster and camber drastically several times to make them better and better....now they have to be the best XC set up out there for the Yami!!!!! beside my Gibson/Axis set up of course!!!

If I were an MXer I'd be all over Fox and Gibson this year cause thats what Natalie was on last year......not just cause he rode with it, but because he tested it and got a good basic setup for Fox to work on for the average racer!!!! This year he's runnin Elka and Roll........after an entire season of dialing in and changing specs to his liking, can u see how next year the shock avaiable to the average A racer will be better than it was before Natalie helped out!!!! thats why i think alot of people by what the pros run..

wow...i bet they really love sponsoring you..."i run it because its free"

wow, way to support your sponsors...:huh

bwamos
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
i started listening more to A class riders for what was working. they are fast, but not as smooth as a pro so they tend to beat on stuff. they are getting deals but not much for free so they have to spend wisely.

I couldn't agree more.

jlhughes750
01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
hey Jhughes,

has gibson fixed the fault in their arms? several sets have beenthru here in the past weeks and all had grease zerks but they do nothing. there is no where or way for grease to get into the spherical ball joint, only to the outside of the ball joint. makes for easier removal but does jack for the ball joint itself. i figured maybe you know what the deal is or if it was just one of them things.

first of all there is no "fault" in the a-arms

the hole is there for the grease fitting in case the owner decides to use the greasable bearing that has a groove around the OD and pilot holes....most people do not use that type though... I don't... hope that makes sense to you!!

jlhughes750
01-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
wow...i bet they really love sponsoring you..."i run it because its free"

wow, way to support your sponsors...:huh

Hey nothings free in this world!!;) ......i was using it as an example to explain my view....and yeah.. they do love sponsoring me!!:devil: :devil: ... maybe not anymore???

Pappy
01-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
first of all there is no "fault" in the a-arms

the hole is there for the grease fitting in case the owner decides to use the greasable bearing that has a groove around the OD and pilot holes....most people do not use that type though... I don't... hope that makes sense to you!!

sounds ok to me, i have no idea why someone would NOT run the greaseable ball joint, why would Gibson even offer it?

and im not busting on them, but IMO if you have the zerk, make it work! lol

TBD
01-11-2006, 05:24 PM
sounds ok to me, i have no idea why someone would NOT run the greaseable ball joint, why would Gibson even offer it?

and im not busting on them, but IMO if you have the zerk, make it work! lol
I agree. Why put it there and then not use it.

RTR_380
01-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by blasterkid
i live right next to travis, i have to disagre with u i dont see people changing to what they are riding. Dunk uses ohlins, travis uses axis and natalie uses fox. I feel people buy what in their area. Jrd is a few hours from us so everyone around here buys jrd stuff. Im sponsored by jrd so im not really following the crowd im running the parts from who i like and what i like and in all honesty whats cheepest for me. So in conclusion im disagreing with u.

We have been riding w/ Natalie for a couple weeks now at some local tracks here in Central Fl. Every quad hes riding has Elka on them! That should tell you something about getting paid! I'll ride Works shocks for enough money! Hell, Michelle was even riding Axis. She is sponsored by Elka!

h-bomb450R
01-11-2006, 06:56 PM
he could just be trying them out......Chris ran some laeger A-arms at a local race. But he thinks their sh$^ and so he;s back on Ars-Fx. And that DOESNT have nething to do with the money...

Austin

shaff107
01-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Even if ballance desides to run Ohlins next year he will still be on a set of Ars/Fx arms. he is working really close with to come out with a new set of arms that will have even more ground clearence then the std. max ground clearence arms of today!
this came strait from the mouth of the Ars/Fx people about the new arms not the suspension that he will run.

QuadRacer041
01-12-2006, 06:00 AM
bill could go fast if they installed 2 worn out 1978 caddilac shocks on his quad, unfortunatley if he does make a change then 98% of those that follow the leader will be then riding ohlins and claiming they are so far superior then axis blah blah balh:p

in all honesty, alot of top riders test new set ups all the time. it woud be interesting to see yet another shock company mainstream itself. that would show quads are gaining even more ground in the marketplace!

thats sooooo true, everyone plays follow the leader
elka loves people who play follow the leader.

ranger400ex
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
chris borich...will be on laeger.

BMW

humblesquirel21
01-13-2006, 04:03 PM
i run elka fronts cause they are an awsome shock not cause the pros do and i run a works rear cause its cheap and does more or less what it has to to keep my riding and alive so i like it

ps if any one does happen to hope on the ohilins train and leaves an elka or axis out to dry for a 300es please notify me i would gladly pay for them

quallerd
04-20-2006, 10:31 PM
OK, now that everyone has been allowed to sufficiently vent, has anybody actually tried the ARS-FX setup with Ohlin shocks? I'm in the market for a set of a-arms for a 450 and was seriously considering this combination. Actually, I didn't even realize that the ARS-FX guys were testing it till I called them with some questions about Axis and timeframes today. I have never ridden on a set of high end Ohlin's before so am looking for some first hand experience. BTW, which Ohlin shock are they pairing up with the ARS-FX front and rear?

Also, how much truth is there to the earlier statement about ARS-FX coming out with a new set of a-arms that would provide even more ground clearance for xc applications.

Rico
04-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Bill is a shock guru and builds his shocks himself. YOu could give him a set of 5 year old works steelers and he could dial them in to perfection and win a GNCC race....:macho

cdaleman440
04-21-2006, 09:19 AM
well i love my ohlins they soke up so much

TBD
04-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Bill is a shock guru and builds his shocks himself. YOu could give him a set of 5 year old works steelers and he could dial them in to perfection and win a GNCC race....:macho
Excellent point. A good shock tuner can make just about any shock work excellent.

Nevada520
04-21-2006, 05:57 PM
I also heard that one of the head's at Axis didn't want to go back east........he now works for Ohlins. Loyalists to his work may be making the switch for that reason......although most of Team Yamaha is running them, so I am sure that money is the biggest reason. I do know some who will be making the switch from Axis to Ohlins for the loyalty factor.

rollie
04-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Most guys out here run Walsh or Gibson, mostly because there both pretty local companys....well walsh was, but you wouldnt beileve the K&K graphics at the races, so i guess up here its more of whats local