PDA

View Full Version : Will most of the oil in bottom end of 400ex drain out of oil filter cover?

FoxRacing81
01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Pretty much that states it^. The oil drain hole on the case itself where the bolt is snapped off, leaving just a hole. I need this bottom end, so I was considering just plugging this hole with JB weld, and when I would have to change the oil, just taking the oil filter cover off and tipping the quad on the side. Would it work?

-Justin

lafinrat
01-08-2006, 06:23 PM
No

The oil filter cavity is part of the pressureized oil circuit. Which is seperate from the crankcase. Otherwise, it wouldn't be pressurized. You'd have to tip the bike upside down to drain the oil from the vent.

A welding shop should be able to fix the case for ~1hr labor. That's probably the most kosher way to do it.

FoxRacing81
01-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by lafinrat
No

The oil filter cavity is part of the pressureized oil circuit. Which is seperate from the crankcase. Otherwise, it wouldn't be pressurized. You'd have to tip the bike upside down to drain the oil from the vent.

A welding shop should be able to fix the case for ~1hr labor. That's probably the most kosher way to do it.

I'd have to take it all apart to do that. If I'd that, I'd just swap it with my other case I have...but I really dont wanna do that because I don't wanna split the cases.