PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a-arms......

nowukno
01-08-2006, 05:31 PM
I have been saving my money for awhile and when i get my tax return it should put me over the top with enough money to get the mods i want for my quad. I have decided to get the GT Thunder front and rear shock rebuild with new rear link. Im also getting some holeshot XCR's. Anyway , i want some new a-arms also and i have decided to get Houser. Should i get +2 or +.5? I mostly ride tight trails at a friends place and at the wagon wheel in WV. We also go to a small intermediate MX practice track in Pilot Mountain NC. I don't race or anything , i just like to air it out every now and then but nothing serious. So what size arms should i get? Or should i just keep the stockers for the type of riding i do?

Pappy
01-08-2006, 05:32 PM
id say keep stock and spend the $$ on shocks!

nowukno
01-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
id say keep stock and spend the $$ on shocks!

So what shocks you think would be best for my type of riding?

450r51
01-08-2006, 05:56 PM
pep,elka,axis if ya got the money.

nowukno
01-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
pep,elka,axis if ya got the money.

Wouldn't that be a little much for the type of riding i do?

TWISTED
01-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Send your shocks to C&D, Derisi, or GT Thunder and get em valved and resprung. I bought a set of Derisi valved shocks and a GT Thunder link. I absolutely love it. Saved a whole lot of money too!!!

450r51
01-08-2006, 06:37 PM
not really, u will be amazed by the performance of either of those compared to stock rebuilt shocks.

MAD450r
01-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I already had +2 a-arms from ebay. I went with burgards cause I was on budget. Nickel plated +2+1. I also put a geforce adjustable axle on before I got the shock's done. I also ride some trails and find its a bit wide like this. I am now saving for new front rims with 4+1 offset to narrow it some then i'll readjust the axle to match the fronts width.

nowukno
01-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
not really, u will be amazed by the performance of either of those compared to stock rebuilt shocks.

What about getting the GT rear & new link and some elka's up front? What type of elka's should i get? Elite , Sport or Rec? The rec now have rezzies by the way.

Jason250ex
01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
the money for shocks wouldnt be "too much" especially if you were gonna spend money on arms and a revalve...id go with the rear revalve &GT thunder link &elkas like you said...and probably the rec series if they have rezzies

nowukno
01-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Are the recreational series elka's really that much better than the rebuilt stockers by GT Thunder.

nowukno
01-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by nowukno
Are the recreational series elka's really that much better than the rebuilt stockers by GT Thunder.

Still looking for an answer ^^^^ :ermm:

Pappy
01-08-2006, 08:38 PM
if all you do is play ride, getting the stock 450r shocks resprung and revalved by any ofthe named companies in this thread will have you smiling.

the factory provided something good, the aftermarket builders can make them great and for all but all out racing, they are more then enough for most.

nowukno
01-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Sounds good , thanks for all the help and info guys. :)

Jersey450R
01-09-2006, 05:21 AM
i just put the ishock complete atv front suspension kit on my quad and i'm still smiling ear to ear on how extremely well these shocks work. beleive me when i tell you, i didnt expect that much. i did put a lsr axle on it as well. i would say since you do do a little motocross, get the +2's with a 4:1 rim and get the shock rebuild for mx. therefore when you go hit the trails, you can always let some compression and rebound out for a smoother ride, then turn it up again for the track.

i'm going to get my rear redone myself in the next few months. i'm actually thinking about going with ****techATV. his website is awesome and to the point. seems like he knows his stuiff really well. in the end my friend, its all about how much your willing to spend. if your not going to hit any nationals, i wouldnt see putting the best of the best on your bike, especially since quad parts are like cars, as soon as you put them on, the lose about 25% value. just think logicaally and live within your means.

TWISTED
01-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
if all you do is play ride, getting the stock 450r shocks resprung and revalved by any ofthe named companies in this thread will have you smiling.

the factory provided something good, the aftermarket builders can make them great and for all but all out racing, they are more then enough for most.

Your brother's quad was proof of that in Aug at the ride at Rausch. If they worked for Randy Lehr, They would DAMN sure work for me!!!!

Pappy
01-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by TWISTED
Your brother's quad was proof of that in Aug at the ride at Rausch. If they worked for Randy Lehr, They would DAMN sure work for me!!!!

AMEN. he even commented on how well the shocks worked and what a simple set up we had.

we have been running derisi and c&d rebuilds on our yfz and one of our 450r's and both have been extremely satisfied.

both riders will also be switching to new set ups this season as both have progressed to the point they require aftermarket shocks tuned by a builder.