PDA

View Full Version : This can't be good

tcr450r
01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I just got done changing the oil on my r. Guess what I found when I pulled out the oil filter. It was covered in aluminum shavings. I am so sick of all the problems I have been having lately. Does anybody have any clue as to what could be wrong with this piece now? I keep up on the maintenance just like I should. I know that this can't be good at all. Do you guys think this will be warranty covered? Please help.

kfx008
01-08-2006, 03:26 PM
its the crank mine did the same thing my 05 was a just over a yr old and i started finding shavings then the crank went out

BSTURDIVANT
01-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Rod bearing thrust washers!

Pappy
01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
cant be, ive been told honda reliabilty out weighs any problems you think you have! LOL

sucks man, let us know what you find out and if the dealer stands up to assist you.

tcr450r
01-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah, will do. I'm taking it into the dealer tommorrow. They are probably going to try and feed me a bunch of B.S. like always. I'll keep you guys posted, any more ideas please let me know. thanks

goldrims04
01-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by tcr450r
I just got done changing the oil on my r. Guess what I found when I pulled out the oil filter. It was covered in aluminum shavings. I am so sick of all the problems I have been having lately. Does anybody have any clue as to what could be wrong with this piece now? I keep up on the maintenance just like I should. I know that this can't be good at all. Do you guys think this will be warranty covered? Please help. how often do u change ur oil

tcr450r
01-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Lately I have been changing oil about every 20 hours atleast. When I first got the quad I wasn't making as much money, I would do it about every 30 hours. Everytime I have changed the oil I change the filter. There have been a few times when I didn't have money, the most I went was maybe 35 hours at the most.

CdaleXtreme
01-09-2006, 09:16 AM
It is most likely your lower crank bearing. There are two very soft alluminum spacers on each side of the bearing, and they are the first thing to go when the crank beating starts to go out.

DO NOT RIDE IT ANYMORE, and potentially save yourself more damage if the crank locks up.

bwamos
01-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by tcr450r
Do you guys think this will be warranty covered? Please help.

TRX450r-
Yoshi TRS Titanium Pro Series
AC Nerfs
AC Mudscreen Bumper
AC Grab Bar
Uni Air Filter
Moose Jet Kit (Stage 2)
Kenda Klaws on Bajas (20x11x9)
Aluminum Air Box
Tag X5 Bars

You replaced the pipe, filter, jetting and air box. There's no way they will cover it under warranty like that. They will only cover a completely stock motor.

However, if I were you.. I'd put the stock pipe, filter, airbox, and jetting back to stock settings. Then take it in. ;)

MAD450r
01-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I had my sparks pipe before I picked up my 450r, I asked the dealer before I picked it up if that would void my warrenty they told me if its jetted correctly then no. I told them that curtis sparks told me that with hrc jetting i'd be fine. So they have not said a word.

When it brought it in for the last valve adjustment, and warrenty work on my hub's keep coming loose they told me they wont cover any parts I changed out [which I can totally understand] but as for motor they will cover it all.

So if your dealer give's you a hardtime about it call honda direct and tell them what your dealer is saying, but remember no matter how mad you are be nice about it.

natehibbs
01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
just new years eve i was riding mine and the lower rod bearing seized its an 05 bought it last january now i'm replacing crank and piston got off lucky though i had no signs of the fault though do you know if the 06 motors have the same problem

MAD450r
01-09-2006, 11:44 AM
I think honda learned not to use that company for bearings, seems only the 05's got those bearings :(

Atleast I hope they learned, you get what you pay for. They tried to save a bit on bearings and look what happened :(

MAD450r
01-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Always change the filter along with the oil.

tcr450r
01-09-2006, 04:24 PM
If I remember right, I asked the dealer if the pipe would void my warranty before I bought it and I think that they only said it would void the top end of the motor. My dad is up there talking to them right this second. He stopped in after work. I'll let you know what happened by the end of tonight. Thanks for the input.

01-09-2006, 04:57 PM
good luck man :macho

tcr450r
01-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Alright my pops just got home from the dealer. The mechanic up there said that he thinks it is my clutch. Does this sound like a possibility? Anyways, this is the first cool thing my dealer has ever done for me, the mech. said that he would personally check it out himself free of charge. The only thing is, I sold my stock pipe on ebay, therefore I can't make it look all stock. I don't think that my pipe and airbox, etc. will void my warranty or else I wouldn't have bought the warranty. I know I asked him before I bought it and I also knew at the time that I would be getting a pipe for sure. So cross your fingers for me. I just want this thing fixed. We're taking it up on saturday. I'll keep you all posted.

BSTURDIVANT
01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Clutch side has a separate oil system- shavings in the filter are from the engine side! These things are bad about rod bearings going out 04 and 05. 06 not out long enough to determine reliability!

XCRACER26
01-09-2006, 06:07 PM
you know it could also be the piston, looking at the pic the quad is a 04 correct me if I'm wrong but a new 4 stroke motors are not exactly like a 250ex, on reliabilty terms. I would check the comp too.

outlawATV
01-11-2006, 01:15 PM
i will gaurantee it is the crank i've rebuilt four that did the same thing right before the thrust washers break in them.its best to change them before this happens so you dont risk cracking the center cases