PDA

View Full Version : cpi pipes leaking

01 250exman
01-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Is there anything I can do to stop this?
I was thanking about using RTV,but I dont know if it would hold up to the heat.
Someone els have this problem?:ermm:

01 250exman
01-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Its leaking all the way down to the skid plate:(

Mxjunkie
01-08-2006, 08:16 PM
My fmf's do the same thing and I even have new orings in the pipe. All 2 strokes do it, Pretty much gotta live with it.

brian250racer
01-09-2006, 04:26 PM
High temp RTV will hold up for a little while. It would last about 2 months or so on mine, then just pull it off and reseal it again. Not the best fix, but it works.
Use the high temp BLACK RTV, it seemed to last the longest..

01 250exman
01-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
My fmf's do the same thing and I even have new orings in the pipe. All 2 strokes do it, Pretty much gotta live with it.

That sucks because the stock pipes dident leak at all. Although I diden't replace any o-rings and Iam not shure if the cpi's came with some,are they inside the pipe flange that buts up to the head?

enquadrider16
01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
my shee doesn't leak and i have fmf fatty's on it

brian250racer
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by 01 250exman
are they inside the pipe flange that buts up to the head?

Yes. If you look inside there should be a groove cut into the flange. New pipes don't normally come with o-rings. You can reuse the originals, or just order new ones from Yamaha. They are around $6 each.

01 250exman
01-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I will have to keep my eye out for them,Thanks for the info.

race-a-holic
01-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Call Jeff at F.A.S.T. racing.He can get you the right o-rings.
785-364-5325

vdubaker
03-10-2006, 09:31 PM
bull**** pipe shouldnt leak you pay good money for pipes my wifes blaster started leaking from the day i put the pipe on and i could not get a answer from any one about the problem so i put one extra spring on the top and bottom and it worked great the leak stopped never to be seen again in three years

killen them all
03-11-2006, 10:26 AM
i think all banshees do that. my friends t-6 do it to i think stock pipes do to but they black and you dont notice it like you do when you have those shine pipes if it bugs you you could just wipe it off

vdubaker
03-11-2006, 08:16 PM
no way dude i have two very nice banshee with polished every thing under the sun and the pipes have never leaked around the exhaust for that matter i have more trouble with them leaking around where the silencers and the pipes come together and no the cpi pipes do not come with o rings you either take you old ones out of your stock pipes or by new ones and only know this because i just bought new in frame big bore pipes wich by the way i regret the finish and welds look like somebody did it blind folded i already had to grind my pipe to fit into the silencer and if you really want to see quality check out the lrd pipes

Meat
03-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Pipes are gunna leak:ermm: its no big deal.

Get a product called "Ultra Copper" and put a bead of it in the pipe flange. Auto-Zone\Advance\NAPA should sell ultra copper. Its made by Permatex I think, and it comes in a tube.... the stuff is made for exhausts. hi temp. I cant gaurentee it will stop your oil leak'age, but its always worked for me.

vdubaker
03-12-2006, 10:06 AM
yeah well i would have to guess you have never spent upwards of $600 dollars on a set of pipes because if you had and the pipes leaked you would be pissed !! so if your pipe leaks you need new o rings or new stronger springs or the pipes are made poorly and if that is the case manufactures need step up fix the problem my theory is you spend good money you should get good parts no more cheap crap

Meat
03-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by vdubaker
yeah well i would have to guess you have never spent upwards of $600 dollars on a set of pipes because if you had and the pipes leaked you would be pissed !! so if your pipe leaks you need new o rings or new stronger springs or the pipes are made poorly and if that is the case manufactures need step up fix the problem my theory is you spend good money you should get good parts no more cheap crap

whewww... Oookay then.

... anyways .... Ultra Copper=no more leaks:ermm:

vdubaker
03-13-2006, 04:22 PM
good quality parts = no leaks

brian250racer
03-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by vdubaker
if you really want to see quality check out the lrd pipes

Yes, your right there.. LRD pipes are of very good quality,........but, the LRD pipes I had not to long ago leaked as well!! If you have never had a set of pipes leak like that, consider yourself lucky.. :D The leakage will depend on a few things: If the flange on the cylinder is damaged, if the o-ring is worn or damaged, if the springs are worn, even if your running excesively rich (to much oil in the gas, etc.). Any or all of these will make the black slop start flowing..