PDA

View Full Version : kick start or e-start

Tri-valleyracin
01-08-2006, 12:01 PM
what would u rather have a 250x kick start or a 300ex e-start. is there a way to make a 300ex kickstart??

Sjorge450R
01-08-2006, 03:48 PM
i would want a kick start over electric start. More things to go wrong with the electric start.

300ex_#387
01-08-2006, 04:00 PM
You should do a search on if you can put a kickstart on a 300ex. I know there was a post not to long ago about this. Some guy was trying to do it, but it isn't worth all the work and money to do it.

ZeroLogic
01-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Kickstart. Electrical have to much things to go worng.

wilsonracing
01-08-2006, 04:48 PM
can you put a 250x side case on a 300 i would like to do that to mine?

8my_Cash
01-08-2006, 05:17 PM
i heard that you can but all that requires machine work for it to work propertly in the 300ex. i haerd that TC used to do it but not any more. honestly i think it would be easier to put a 300ex rod in the 250x than put a 250x kick on a 300ex

Honda TRX250ex
01-08-2006, 05:41 PM
kick start over a eltric anyday:o

TarheelRedRider
01-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Funny you guys talk about this I have been thinking about trying to add the kick to my 300. Im sure I will have to do some machining but I think it is possible. When and if I start the mod I will be sure to show step by step process and directions.

Tri-valleyracin
01-08-2006, 06:57 PM
kool keep us updated.

Cody_300ex
01-09-2006, 05:46 AM
I'd rather have a kick. Yes, there is a way to make a 300ex kick but it's very expensive and takes a chitload of machine work-not worth it

300ex73
01-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Your best bet would be to just find a good 250X bottom end and go through and make sure everything is in good shape. And, if you're wanting the same displacement as a 300, just take and have the crank stroked. Although, I'd personally leave the crank alone, and get a big bore kit. They have a decent amount of low end as-is, so the big bore cylinder would make an improvement by giving you an engine that has more horsepower and revs quicker. But, that's just what I would do if I wanted a kickstarted motor.

CBF2
01-09-2006, 08:14 AM
ELECTRIC!!

When climbing a steep hill and you stall it casue the POS won't down shift and you are teetering there between rolling back down and staying on the hill would you want to kick it? I did not think so.

Honda TRX250ex
01-09-2006, 01:28 PM
learn to ride and you wont stall it. and they make brakes for a reason ;)

bwamos
01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
I would trade my e-start for a kicker any day of the week.

CBF2
01-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
learn to ride and you wont stall it. and they make brakes for a reason ;)

I will get right on that:rolleyes:

xx3003xrdrxx
01-09-2006, 02:27 PM
If you stall it on an actuall hill climb your not starting it back up and making it the rest of the way ... kickstart or not you aint making any reall hill if you stall it.

Blue250X
01-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx
If you stall it on an actuall hill climb your not starting it back up and making it the rest of the way ... kickstart or not you aint making any reall hill if you stall it.

that is completely true! unless your hill is like a freakin little bump, ypu shouldnt be able to make it after u stall, its not that hard, if your a good rider, to back down a hill, its really tricky, but it can be done

Honda TRX250ex
01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
if you dont stall you wont have that problem. just keep your rpms up but not up so high or to low. and besides some of the hills i climb and you dont make it up your screw because the only way down its rolling the machine...

CBF2
01-09-2006, 02:54 PM

That is not true..I was going up a steep hill that flattened out some near the top. I was wide open in 2nd on a 300EX. I was running out of power fast. I tried to downshift and it didn't go (a frequent occurance on my 300). It stalled. I was kissing the front fender over the bars. I electric started it in the position shifted to first and went up. Proven not true in my own real situation.

Same thing happened a different time on a different hill excepet instead of flattening out this hill got steeper. I went down backwards and got a quad with more power.

xx3003xrdrxx
01-09-2006, 02:58 PM
so pretty much exactly what i said ... it worked on an easy hill , didnt on a hard hill

TarheelRedRider
01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by CBF2
That is not true..I was going up a steep hill that flattened out some near the top. I was wide open in 2nd on a 300EX. I was running out of power fast. I tried to downshift and it didn't go (a frequent occurance on my 300). It stalled. I was kissing the front fender over the bars. I electric started it in the position shifted to first and went up. Proven not true in my own real situation.

Same thing happened a different time on a different hill excepet instead of flattening out this hill got steeper. I went down backwards and got a quad with more power.

Man if you ran out of power in second you need to rebuild that motor or think about a smaller sprocket in the front.

Honda TRX250ex
01-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by TarheelRedRider
Man if you ran out of power in second you need to rebuild that motor or think about a smaller sprocket in the front.
i use third gear sometimes fourth.

Sjorge450R
01-09-2006, 06:25 PM
i ride wheelies going up hills in 3rd gear on my 300ex. But i dont do this on purpose.

CBF2
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
The motor (and quad) was a new 02. I bought it and broke it in right. Always meticulasly maintained, always allowed to warm up. It had an opened airbox, pipe, and jet kit. Stock gearing and tires. Third was usless on hills. Fourth was a pipe dream. In second with the throttle pinned you started to run out of power near the top. First was no good, no momentum. I climb some steep and even more a factor LONG hills. Don't get me wrong I know there are bigger and longer but they were too much for a 300EX and 200lbs in full gear.

If my damn CD drive would work I could post a pic, maybe at work tomorrow...

xx3003xrdrxx
01-09-2006, 07:45 PM
There is no way your climbing hills in 4th gear ... Unless youve got some crazy motor mods and crazy gearing .

Honda TRX250ex
01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
There is no way your climbing hills in 4th gear ... Unless youve got some crazy motor mods and crazy gearing .
if you were talking to me here...

yeah there is. the only motor mods i have are wisco piston but here

the hill that i climb is like this and i normal use 4 gear in the woods...

Cody_300ex
01-09-2006, 08:44 PM
How about this, you all learn to ride. When you stall on a hill or about to wheelie and kill youself, stop. Put in nuetral, DO NOT touch back break. Bearly pull in the front and coast down the hill SLOWLY. This is not hard.

kyleschonert
01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
you say kick start would be nice, but what if you accidentaly start it and your in the middle of a race or down to the last few laps and your already dead tired, but then to make things worse you have to restart your quad and its a damn kickstart. i would also like to have a kickstart, but restarting it after im already drained of energy would just be a *****.

CBF2
01-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Cody_300ex
How about this, you all learn to ride. When you stall on a hill or about to wheelie and kill youself, stop. Put in nuetral, DO NOT touch back break. Bearly pull in the front and coast down the hill SLOWLY. This is not hard.

Ha-It is hard when the brakes are useless for that. The electric start saved me in one occasion. In the other there was no "stopping" it was moving forward than instantly in reverse. The front brakes were locked and I was going down anything but "slowly" and I was no longer in control, gravity was. I never hit the back brake. I bailed off after going about half way down and the quad somehow stayed upright all the way down the hill. The five guys I was riding with all said it was the right decision to bail except I should have done it sooner.

bwamos
01-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Very large (200+ft) very steep (45+deg) hills scare the piss out of me on my stock wheelbase 330ex.. lol. Way too nose light. Don't think twice about it on a 400ex but on the 330.. I loose a few hairs everytime I try it.. lol.

CBF2
01-10-2006, 12:09 PM
This is the hill that flattened out at the top and I was able to start it, find first and keep going. That is me climbing it a year later on my King Quad. I stalled it about where I am in the pic.

I do not have a pic of the hill I came rolling down.

CBF2
01-10-2006, 12:11 PM
These are insane. To bad I dont have anything in there for scale. Those things that look like bushes in the center against the dirt are trees at the base of the hill. The bigger, greener ones are obviously trees but are about halfway between me and the hill.

hondardr4life
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I wasnt a big fan of E start on my 330ex. I've got a 250r now, and I love having a kicker. It is a ****** to start in the cold, but I would take it anyday over e-start.

Nice lookin hills in the 2nd pic. I have a pic of one so big your mouth would drop. It's in an old strip mine, and you could stack at LEAST 3 trees on top of eachother, and this hill would most likely be taller. Too bad I don't have it on my CP, I just have the pic in a photo album with me climbing it on the good old 300, lol. I'll be scared to climb it on the R just because if I screw up I don't want my nice quad flipping the whole long way to the bottom. I guarentee it would make it if my 300 did, but its not worth risking that much money.