PDA

View Full Version : clutch slippering problem

fourtrax400ex
07-05-2002, 10:37 AM
hello guys, im just finished to put back my new 426 motor together, i have a 416 before and never have problem with clutch but now the clutch slip a lot with the 426, adjustment are ok, oil are ok, my bike is a 1999 and is it the stock clutch, do you think that just put heavier spring help or change the whole clutch for a something like a barnett or other brand??

thanks

nakomis0
07-05-2002, 10:59 AM
Maybe try stiffer springs. DO NOT get Barnett. I have a Barnett on my 440 and it slips like a biatch.

I just went and got a new right case gasket, so I can take the Barnett out and put the stock back in. I'm going to do that in about 20 minutes.

BTW when does yours slip? Mine would slip when I was in a high gear and shifted to a lower gear at high RPMs. I also had it slip a few times after It got real hot, just under normal shifts in a drag race.

Good Luck, let us know what you try and what works for ya.

07-05-2002, 12:51 PM
use oem plates get 8 250r fibers and 7 300ex steel plates. It does fit. Call mike at For Dirt Only to get some great springsand if you want there is a part that he will mill that lets the clutch get oil easier.
and yes with it being a 99 i am sure it needs everything.

Claas900
07-05-2002, 06:23 PM
..LOl..I'm doing all this bs right now..lol..i se a lot of ppl were putting 8 fibers and 7 steals,but i didnt know how they make it fit?This last Sat. i blew my basket,but my clutch was a pos anyways..lol..it was my 3rd clutch,I tried EBC's..pos's..the best one iv ever had was the stock one,held good but just gave in with time,but still the best one.But sents i had to start over,I bought a new basket.And id strongly sujust you bye a new basket..But anyhow i called up Sparks,they offer a 8 fiber 7 steal kit..I talked to Scote nice guy,gave me a lot off info.said everhting would work with stock basket,or aftermarket one.So I bought it,go it look at it and it looks just like stock fibers,but the steals arent,but there about .030 thiner then stock ones,so maybe thats how they make them fit?the springs are a lot stronger,and longer.Sparks said this is the same set up that they run there 505ex,with 13.1 .He said it holds up very well.But as of now i havent been able to run it yet so we'll see??i think it was $159 to my door OUCH,But if it works im wont might the high $ at all,getting tired of the weak clutch's..lol..Somebody said someting about cr500 springs,but i dont kow what year so..Sorry about the long post,..But I hope it helps..Thanks

airheadedduner
07-05-2002, 11:37 PM
Go with stock plates and stiffer springs. The stock plates are fine. Don't go with CR500 springs. I don't think they will be strong enough. I run CR500 springs in my stock ported 295, my friend runs 400EX springs in his full CT pro-x310. They hold up well. Plus the 500 springs will kill your hand. I slid my clutch perch in so that just 2 fingers fit on the lever. IT is actully an easier pull cause it gives me more leverage. It took me 2 clutches to figure out what happend. By the time I figured out the problem and fixed it I gernaded the stock basket. Save the headache and buy a hinson now, you will be impressed. I have had mine for 2 years and there is not a mark on it.

nakomis0
07-06-2002, 10:24 AM
Whats a clutch basket do? Can you feel any difference between a stock basket and an aftermarkeT?

Just wondering cause I could never make sense of it?

The way i'm looking at it its like. If you drink coffee out of a blue mug, its gonna taste the same as drinking it out of a red mug?

Sorry for the dumb, uneducated analogy:)

airheadedduner
07-06-2002, 04:39 PM
They say the hinson basket is smoother. Under normal use it is hard to tell but when you have to start usin the clutch to keep the R's up it has a more positive feel to it. The hinson basket is 5 times stronger then stock. All I know is if I had to buy another one I would.

PlainfeildBrett
07-06-2002, 10:39 PM
dude did you tighting all the bolts enough? what oil r u using? did you hook up the connections right?

airheadedduner
07-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Duh, I forgot to answer the most basic question you asked. "What is the clutch basket?" Its the thing that holds the clutch plates. The inner peice that spins is the inner hub, and the peice that goes over the top is the pressure plate.

PlainfeildBrett
07-06-2002, 10:44 PM
he doesn`t know what a clucth basket is? wtf:huh

nakomis0
07-07-2002, 09:45 PM
/
Originally posted by PlainfeildBrett
he doesn`t know what a clucth basket is? wtf:huh

You Pickle smoocher, I know what the **** a clutch basket is. Get hooked on phonics. I said, "Whats a clutch basket do?"

I know it holds the clutch plates. I'm just thinking how could an aftermaket basket be better, Its just holding the plates...:rolleyes: ....wtf?

Would an aftermarket gas tank hold gas better? lol. I just can't see what would make a aftermarket basket better, except that it could be stronger. I can't make sense of a performance gain.

07-07-2002, 10:01 PM
I know it holds the clutch plates. I'm just thinking how could an aftermaket basket be better, Its just holding the plates... ....wtf?

What the aftermarket basket is supposed to do better is mostly in what it doesnt do. The better ones are machined (not cast) from a solid piece and will hold up better and not wear as fast or as much from the plates moving back and forth etc. The plates can and will wear down the part of the basket they slide on causing them to become uneven (when real bad it will look like worn teeth on a saw) and making the clutch real hard to pull and also can cause it to slip. It can slip because the clutch springs are having to work harder to push the plates over the ruff and un even surface and cant keep up the needed pressure.

airheadedduner
07-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

What the aftermarket basket is supposed to do better is mostly in what it doesnt do. The better ones are machined (not cast) from a solid piece and will hold up better and not wear as fast or as much from the plates moving back and forth etc. The plates can and will wear down the part of the basket they slide on causing them to become uneven (when real bad it will look like worn teeth on a saw) and making the clutch real hard to pull and also can cause it to slip. It can slip because the clutch springs are having to work harder to push the plates over the ruff and un even surface and cant keep up the needed pressure.

Exactly right. The hinson basket and other clutch parts are billett aluminum. It is 5 times stronger then stock like I said before. Being more durable makes it more consistant for longer. And it is anodized which I think helps give it a smother pull. Some after market baskets are designed to hold more plates to for higher HP motors.

nakomis0
07-08-2002, 07:20 AM
Now theres some good answers!:) Tnx 440ex4me & Airheadedduner.

07-09-2002, 08:31 AM
I've also read that aftermarket baskets allow better oil flow over stock..:cool: and yes they are stronger than stock too...:square

07-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Barnett is crap. I know i have said this before, but it is a great set up put 8 stock 250 fiber plates in and 7 stock 300ex steel plates. Then call Mike at For Dirt Only and get some of his clutch spings. I promise this works you clutch will not slip. There is also a part that he will put a groove in to allow better oil flow. This stuff is not expensive and you stock clutch basket is fine, hinson is a bit better but not much. FDO 740-967-1078

Foxrage
07-09-2002, 11:20 AM
I wish i would of asked this question before i went out and boought my barnett clutches. They helped alot though but next time im going with the 8 plate kit.

Evan
07-14-2002, 09:24 PM
I just recently put a 416 kit in, it was too much for my stock clutch to handle till I found out how to ride it, rev it like a 2 stroke dont short shift. The clutch would slip under hard accel, and if you were a gear to high. Then the 416 went south and i put a 425 in, I was sure it wouldnt handle it so I got the Sparks 8 plate. It was pretty easy to put and it is stiffer but not unbearable. But the power delivery is inbelivable, it just goes. No slipping. its 139 plus shipping, which is not bad if you factor in the price of new oem plates and some kind of stiffer springs.

Rastus
07-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Do they have baskets for a 300/250X ? im jsut wondering, b/c when i put mine in, the basket was alittle grooved.i mean, not bad, but you could tell.

papaw
08-01-2002, 01:59 PM
gnccer,i tried for dirt only's number you posted,it has been disconnected could you check it for me again?
thx.........

08-01-2002, 02:25 PM
The number i posted for FDO is correct i think they are just having problems with it right now. i am going up there in a little bit i will check.

JabberJaw
08-01-2002, 04:27 PM
Having a clutch that slips is not all bad... it's sorta like having reverse... you go halfway up a steep hill, then roll backwards to the bottom. You get to do it as many times as you like.....well...unitl the clutch pads are completely wore out...

papaw
08-01-2002, 06:09 PM
thanx nathan,
talked to mike super nice guy.he happened to have a piston that i have been looking 4 also.