PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle????

frogburner
07-05-2002, 10:07 AM
How can you tell if your rear axle is bent?? I jump mine off a pond levee pretty often, its not big air , but a pretty good jump... But it seems that when i get the 400 on pavement, the rear axle does some vibrating pretty bad... Could this be my rear axle, or the holeshots I just put on???

Ex'r Marlin
07-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Or a bent rim.

I would elevate the rear of the bike, or the whole bike where the rear tires at least are off the ground.

Then I would make sure everything rotates easily (in neutral) by hand (engine not running). Also check for any axle wobble in the axle carrier by placing your left hand on the left tire, and right hand on the right tire, and try to wobble the axle, and viewing/feeling if there is any play. If so, you may need to tighten your axle nut, or you may have worn out your axle bearings.

Next, I would start up the atv, and put it in gear. No need for high rpms, because if you have anything bent or not aligned right, you should notice it very quickly. If you look at both ends of the axle, and notice it doing a "wobble" effect, then you know it is your axle. If both ends are true (no wobble) then it sounds like either your rim or tire.

Good luck!

400exRacerX
07-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Put it on a milk crate start it up and hold it wide open in 5th gear and see if everything spins straight. BTW its not my fault if the quad goes through the garage into the house. LOL

seriously dont do that