PDA

View Full Version : how to brake her in

voges
07-05-2002, 09:42 AM
i am putting a 425 kit with a tc cam and i need to know how to properly break her in
how long and when can i ride her hard
2000 400 EX

frogburner
07-05-2002, 10:23 AM
The Way I break in motors, is to put about a Quarter of a Quart of motor oil in with a full tank of gas, This helps lubricate everything as you run your quad around.. .Dont go run the piss out of it though... At least run TWO tanks of fuel through before running it to hard... This will break it in well,,, I have done this on my 400 and my old 300 Fourtrax after I rebuilt it, and I think its about the best way to break a motor in...

07-05-2002, 10:24 AM
use conventional oil on the break-in. DO NOT let it idle once you do get it running,,once you get it running take it out for a 15 - 20 minute ride at no more than 1/2 throttle,,let it cool all the way down. take it back out for another 15 - 20 minute ride at no more than 3/4 throttle and let it cool all the way down...if you want you can change the oil after this but it's not necessary..after this you can go drop the hammer on it and see how ya like it. Just don't let it sit and idle,,cuz your not pumping oil up to the top of the motor,,this is what I did and my 416 is still running smooth and pulling hard..:D

phatswinn
07-05-2002, 06:11 PM
what rico said is exactly my explanation

99_400EX
07-05-2002, 09:36 PM
what brand and weight oil should be used also the shop that is building my motor said i should use leaded 110 oct. race gas or i could mix it 50/50 with 93 oct. what gas or combo should be used ill be breaking in JE 416 Xr 400 cam new head upgreaded valvetrain rockers new crank and lots of other crap thanks for the help

voges
07-05-2002, 11:33 PM
thanks guys any one else

i also have another question
on the head cover bolts (8mm) has the torque spec say 17 ft lbs
well i did one at 15 broke it
than 10 and broke it
should i buy all head cover bolts??
and
i worked on the carb how can i get fuel into it before i put it back on so i dont have to turn her over forever
and flood

voges
07-05-2002, 11:33 PM
i am using 20 w 50 with my set up
thats what tc racing siad to use

VegasEx'r
07-06-2002, 05:53 AM
What Rico said. 20/50 is a good summer weight. If you use assembly lube on the lobes of the cam, I would change the oil & filter after the first 2 15-20 min rides (& at that point you can use synthetic oil). The lube will be in the oil by then & make the oil run hotter. If you don't use lube, don't worry about it. You may also want to recheck your valves after those rides.

Jeff
07-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Do what I said earlier, bend her over the couch arm. Or you could lay on the bed and have her get on top and ride, hey, thats what works for me and she loves it!

phatswinn
07-06-2002, 01:33 PM
umm i think this is about quads, not your dog, because that is just sick:devil;)

MX MadMann
07-06-2002, 03:13 PM
just plug the fuel line into the carb , turn the valve on, and let it sit for like a few minutes and it will fill the carb up. it will fire right up.

07-06-2002, 04:32 PM
Break her like your gonna ride her, be gentle and smooth for the first few minutes and then giver her a break, get back on her and give her all you can!:D

tayz34
07-06-2002, 10:28 PM
just ride it nice and easy for a full tank of gas and dont let it go for long periods or get hot. i dont now if i like the idea of the guy who said to put a quart of oil in with your gas. just take it easy until you go threw a tank of gas or so and then ride it a little harder and then a little harder and then it is fine. i new a kid with a brand new 400ex and rode the crap out of it and it was fine. ---he is stupid but i dont think it is really that important. just ride it nice and easy for awhile . peace

PlainfeildBrett
07-06-2002, 10:42 PM
do not use sythckitc or however you spell it oil, bite your lip and rev the **** right out of the motor with pure straight water in the oil pan!!! always works for me, but my quads run really softly almost like there not running???:huh :huh :huh