PDA

View Full Version : Dye Lots

JOEX
01-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I think that's the correct term:p

If someone were to have a part coated a certain color then at some time later had another part coated the same color from a different batch of powder (same or different manufacturer) would the colors match? Assuming the first part wasn't used or exposed to sunlight for extended perionds of time.

Would there be a difference if the color was solid, trans, vein etc.?

Pappy
01-07-2006, 09:30 PM
colors can change from lot to lot. usually its very little on solid colors from the manufacture, but on trans colors ive seen variations.

most of the tried and true "veins and hammertones" change very little from lot to lot, and in a batch operation it will come down to the man applying the powder, while a line operation can control it almost perfectly. they do recommend keeping powder from each lot to test if a color shift is noticed, but in the 4 years ive been doing this type of work, ive found it unnecassary.(except chrome, id like to forget some lots of chrome ive tried..lol)

alot of powders used today are not UV protected, and adding clear helps somewhat. there are UV protected powders, but most dont seem to fit into what people want color wise.

as far as doing parts, usually they will look very close to each other given your stated circumstances. i usually try and do as many parts at the same time so i can try and control color variations. with trans colors, ceratin parts will tend to be a shade lighter or darker depending on the construction of a part. some parts will barely allow you to apply the minimun amount of thickness, while others you can coat to a more desired thickness and color variations can happen at that time.

then you have applicator issues. if one shop does it one way, another may do it completely different causing a slight shift in color.

JOEX
01-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the info, didn't even think about the applicator variations. Probably because i'd only have one person/shop do the work:D

When you say construction of a part do you mean the make up of the material or different pieces of material put together to make the part or the shape and size of the part.

I'm pretty sure it's all of the above:p

Pappy
01-07-2006, 10:01 PM
well, some parts have corners, tight areas or a construction of light and heavier thicknesses. with a solid color, there is very little color shift with regards to thickness applied, but on trans colors, it can cause light and dark spots. this is an extreme, and usually can be overcome with expierence. add to that the transparent properties of translucents and it can cause big proplems.

what the part is made of can cause a batch of parts to turn out differently also. aluminum takes heat much more rapidly and it can cool down rapidly also. on solid colors this again has little effect, but i have seen with trans colors this to cause variations when mixed with other parts made of different materials. again, knowing what to do and sometimes even controling part temperature can take care of any issues.

when i do a batch of someones parts in a trans color, i really look at what im working with, what its made of, and go from there. sometimes making it all exactly the same is really hard, sometimes its gravy. say you have a frame and all teh small parts. some of the small parts require special attention due to corners or the actual small size of some of the parts, not to mention they have to fit back together etc. so i usually tackle the small parts and get them as close as i can, which usually is no problem. after they are completed, i match the frame to them.

im not sure if you are interested in mainly solids, or trans colors, but with regards to trans colors, the parts reflectivity and exposure to light can make 2 identical parts appear different. a set of hubs look awesome, but they may appear lighter then say some bracketry that is shaded by the fenders. even the frame can look lighter and darker in direct sun once fenders are installed.

heat cycles, such as a valve cover can also darken with use with trans colors. even tho the working temps never reach a point to harm the pc, the constant heat/cooling cycle can change the color with time.

after typing all this i wonder why i dont go nuts on some jobs
:D

JOEX
01-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
well, some parts have corners, tight areas or a construction of light and heavier thicknesses. with a solid color, there is very little color shift with regards to thickness applied, but on trans colors, it can cause light and dark spots. this is an extreme, and usually can be overcome with expierence. add to that the transparent properties of translucents and it can cause big proplems.

what the part is made of can cause a batch of parts to turn out differently also. aluminum takes heat much more rapidly and it can cool down rapidly also. on solid colors this again has little effect, but i have seen with trans colors this to cause variations when mixed with other parts made of different materials. again, knowing what to do and sometimes even controling part temperature can take care of any issues.

when i do a batch of someones parts in a trans color, i really look at what im working with, what its made of, and go from there. sometimes making it all exactly the same is really hard, sometimes its gravy. say you have a frame and all teh small parts. some of the small parts require special attention due to corners or the actual small size of some of the parts, not to mention they have to fit back together etc. so i usually tackle the small parts and get them as close as i can, which usually is no problem. after they are completed, i match the frame to them.

im not sure if you are interested in mainly solids, or trans colors, but with regards to trans colors, the parts reflectivity and exposure to light can make 2 identical parts appear different. a set of hubs look awesome, but they may appear lighter then say some bracketry that is shaded by the fenders. even the frame can look lighter and darker in direct sun once fenders are installed.

heat cycles, such as a valve cover can also darken with use with trans colors. even tho the working temps never reach a point to harm the pc, the constant heat/cooling cycle can change the color with time.

after typing all this i wonder why i dont go nuts on some jobs
:D
Paying attention to the details..... That's the difference between a trade and an art and getting a job done and doing a job right;) :cool:

For me specifcally i'm mostly just dreaming at this time due to lack of space and funds for what i'd like to do. And I thought some others might be interested in this info:)

It's been very helpful;)

Pappy
01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
no prob, if ya cant tell i enjoy most of what i do:p

heres an example of keeping it the same. the water neck was done in just candy red, as i wasnt sure how much heat i would be dealing with. other then that she matched quite well

JOEX
01-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm assuming you are refering to the part just below the front heat shield mounting bolt. Honestly I wouldn't have noticed until you pointed it out. If I did I would have brushed that off as a lighting issue at most.

Your attention to detail definately shows through from the pics i've seen.

Hopefully when i'm ready i'll find someone locally who has you attitude toward this;) You're just too far away:p

Pappy
01-07-2006, 11:17 PM
there are great shops all over this country. just a few questions before you drop off your parts will tell what you need to know. :p

JOEX
01-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
there are great shops all over this country. just a few questions before you drop off your parts will tell what you need to know. :p
Yep, that's why I was asking here first.