PDA

View Full Version : shock- blown?

400exrider26
01-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I have a 04 400ex with stock shocks... I dont race but i do agressive woods riding and do jump alot on my friends track. The jumps are not that big of jumps so i dont think it would do anything negative to the shock. Well the last time i was riding it was probley a month or 2 ago and i was going off this natural jump that i found. There is like a 3 acre field that u get speed on to hit the jump...i was hitting it about 4th almost all the way because the jump wasnt to big and didnt have to much of a lip... its like a hill that has a little lip and the hill is about mabe 5ft tall and once u get to the top of the lip of the little jump the ground levels out at the top of it.
(got about 40-50ft of distance and around 8-10ft in the air according to my friend)-some of my landings were right on the back shock like very stood up by accident!

Well when i got on the quad today after being stored in the garage for a month or so i got on it and the quad felt like it had barley any suspension in the back... like i would sit on it and it would go down like 3-4 inches right away and it bounces up and down alot easier then i remeber.... once u get it past like the 3-4 iches were it goes down easy the suspension feels like the normal stiffer shock. So my question is did i blow or wear my shock out? Is there a way to tell if i did? Mabe im just used to my sled suspension now or something but this thing feels very soft! How much does it cost to revalve, fix, rebuild, etc.. my shock?
sorry for the novel but i wanted to get in alot of details so you guys could try to help! thanks

400exrider26
01-08-2006, 06:02 AM
come on guys! bump!

FoxRacing81
01-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Sounds like it to me.

Unverfehrt400ex
01-08-2006, 02:36 PM
yeh sounds like it prolly is. when my rear shock was blown it would bounce up and down really really fast. could do some good preloading off the jumps. lol it also had a little oil leaking out of it.

Rip_Tear
01-08-2006, 03:45 PM
it's easy to check, just take the shock off, take the spring off, and see if you can easily push the shaft into the body of the shock. I recently did this to my fronts, and they are blown... They don't even push themselves out anymore...