PDA

View Full Version : Steering stem

YFZ PILOT
01-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I was wondering how to get the steering stem seal out of a 88r without using a press. Does it matter if it comes out the top or bottom. I'm getting ready to powdercoat and need to get it out.Help

robyone
01-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Did you take the circle clip retainer out? Ounce you get that out everything should come out with little effort.

01-07-2006, 06:32 PM
One seal on the top, one seal on the bottom. Once circlip is removed bearing goes out.

dober250R
01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I just did this, there is one seal on the top that you pull out of the top. I just pulled and pryed at the seal with a small flat blade screw driver and needle nose pliars. Then, underneath this seal is a circlip that needs to come out (it's easy to get the circlip out if you have the correct tool to pull the 2 tabs together to make the circlip just slide out, i can't think of this tool right now). On the bottom side is a seal that you pull out from the bottom (using the same method as the seal on top). This leaves the bearing exposed and you hit the bearing out from the BOTTOM side. Using a socket that is the same OD as the bearing. It will take some effort to get the bearing out. I ended up using a 5 lb. sledge, when all else fails, get a bigger hammer!!!