PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Spark Arrestor?

Big Hank
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Newb question, i searched and searched, no info.

02 300ex. First time I have serviced this four wheeler since i purchased it from a guy at work. I was putting in a new air filter. and when the old one came out, i pulled what i believe to be the spark arrestor out.

Is this really a spark arrestor, and is it as important as the arrestor in the muffler. Really don't want to start a fire, but this thing looks like it really restricts flow.

any help is appreciated.

Gene

ZeroLogic
01-07-2006, 01:48 PM
All your doing is just making your machine louder if you took the spark arrestor out. There isn't a power gain. You may even loose either top end or bottom end also, but don't take my word for it.

big_saxy
01-07-2006, 02:58 PM
The spark arrestor is actually at the end of your exhaust pipe. What you pulled out is the metal cage that keeps the foam filter in a cylindrical shape. Don't worry, you're not going to start any fires! Did you put another stock filter on, or an K&N or Uni or what?

Big Hank
01-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Big Saxy

I put on a No Toil filter, its what the shop had and it looks way better then the old one.

I was thinking that maybe that thing could have been a backfire arrestor. It is made out of 4 or 5 layers of metal mesh, and then wrapped with very fine screen. Seemed very restrictive to me. First thaught was just what you said, it helps the filter keep its shape, but this seems like overkill

Pretty sure the muffler spark arrestor is allready out. Seems a little louder then the other ones i have heard.

Thanks for educating a newb

Gene

big_saxy
01-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah, if it's pretty loud then they must of cut the baffle out. Honestly, you're probably losing power because of it. It'd be better to buy an aftermarket pipe and rejet the carb. Best upgrade you can do on a 300ex. Really woke mine up.