PDA

View Full Version : Painting stock 400ex plastic, how?

DareDevilQracer
07-04-2002, 08:00 PM
I want to paint my 400EX plastic either black or white, i havnt decided yet. What kind of paint should I use and how many coats are needed? Which would look better, white or black u think?

crashinmatt
07-04-2002, 08:04 PM
if u paint ur plastic then it will more than likely crack after a few rides. the paint wont flex as much as the plastic does. if u have some money liein around then maybe u could just buy some maier plastic in whatever color u want. but i think paintin them will only leave u with cracked paint job.

07-04-2002, 09:00 PM
gooood ol' spray paint! :D

Sportrax10
07-04-2002, 09:42 PM
i agree with crashinmatt but for the colors i would pick black out or your choices. but i would make mine dark blue!

Pappy
07-04-2002, 09:58 PM
there is an additive they put into paint that will allow it to flex. to get a set of fenders done its close to 600 bucks.

07-05-2002, 06:32 PM
its close to 600 bux when u get a special paintjob , and if u are going to paint them use r/c car body paint its is made to flex

DareDevilQracer
07-05-2002, 07:10 PM
what do you mean special paintjob? Can I just buy a bucket of that r/c paint and put it on myself?

07-05-2002, 07:38 PM
yeah

DareDevilQracer
07-05-2002, 08:08 PM
oh ok, how much is the paint and how many layers do I need to use?

07-05-2002, 10:04 PM
About 4 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clear coat

Jeff
07-06-2002, 07:52 AM
Why dont you just do it the "right" way and buy new Maier plastic?? The way your talking about is ghetto and it will not look as good. Trust me, I used to have an old Yamaha Moto4 and the plastic was blue, but it was bad faded, so I repainted it dark blue and it looked like $hit!! It didnt crack or anything, but it had runs, overlapping, etc. I would not recomend doing this! Haha, that old thing still sold for $100!! Gears was ripped out of it, no brakes, looked like crap, welded on hubs/wheels (which means you couldnt put any new tires on it due to the weld), bald tires, bent front/back bumpers, back wheel wobbled, and the jackass still gave me $100 for it, only thing good on it was the motor...:rolleyes:

BIGRED400
07-06-2002, 08:06 AM
I used to paint cars years ago and they had this stuff called flex agent that you mixed in with the paint , back then the new Camaro's with plastic bumpers were coming out and this was their fix , it worked good and never cracked , at that time it was'nt too much money either, I sprayed Imron, Amerflint , Aycrlic Enamal ...but the hot setup now is base coat clear coat only sprayed it a few times but it is good paint

07-06-2002, 05:24 PM
go to a hobbie shop and ask them where the paint is for RC cars bodies is an try that. it is made to flex and bend without crackin sence RC car bodies are thin plastic and bend all the time.

doctor_915
07-06-2002, 08:02 PM
Ight if you do it the right way it does hold up just make sure to use good paint. First sand it all down with 80 grit, then 180, then some 600 or so to smoothe it out. Then go to your local autostore and get a primer for plastic from a company called Bulldog. It is a primer that actually eats into the plastic then you use your paint and flex additive, 3-4 coats over 1 coat of primer. Then some clear if you like, it will hold up trust me. Now if you do the cheap *** Rustoleum, its gonna look like crap, but if you spend the money and do it right it looks great. In a few weeks I may have pics of a mettallic red color(like the color red in the chromed plastic post) with reflextive black tribal design.....

DareDevilQracer
07-06-2002, 09:42 PM
about how much am i going to spend on a project like this?

Matt400ex_17
07-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Go to your local body shop and see if they will do! My buddy had his banshee repainted because when yamaha pplastics bend they turn white.. He had his whole quad painted all plastic parts midnight blue for $250.00 it was done three years ago and still look like new except for every day riding scartches but none have gone down to old color or chipped off!!

A4StrokeGuy
07-07-2002, 01:04 PM
This link will give u step by step procedure on how to paint quad OEM plastic, this guy knows what he's doing. I've seen sum of his work, and he is excellent. I hope this helps

http://www.roostfest.com/Plastic%20refinshing.htm