PDA

View Full Version : 330 reliablilty

humblesquirel21
01-06-2006, 08:55 PM
i havea 300ex which i plan to perform major egine work on in the next few mounths. i plan to put in a high compresion (11-1) big bore (330) pistion the head will be ported and polished i will install an aggresive cam along with new cam chain, h/d springs and hardened rockers. To manage over heating i plan to instal an oil cooler. all the sercice will be performed and parts will be suplied by a profecional enginbuilder (im thinking mickey dunlap's four stroke tech).

my concern is that i will lose relibilty after i instll the big bore kit. I have heard that 11-1 is the highest relible ratio for compresion. I have heard rumors that i need to invest in new hardend head studs. any tips would be gratly apreciated

srfootball50
01-07-2006, 11:06 AM
dont even worry about the reliability issues ive heard of people running 380 big bores in 300exs not stroked just a bore and being super reliable but i suggest getting an oil cooler off of FST (four stroke tech) its not something you really need but it will make your engine run way cooler my engine is 5 years old and i have never used an oil cooler and it has ran great but the oil cooler is a great thing to keep your heat down also as long as money isnt a big issue i would have FST install some oversized valves they will make that 330 rip even better because the stock valves are just really small i dont think you need hardend head studs unless FST says you need them but i havent heard of anyone putting them in there big bore 300ex so you should be good with the stock ones another thing i suggest is using a semi synthetic oil (belray,klots,hondas semisynthetic,or what ever oil brand you like) i have just always thought that semi synthetic works better and you will probably want something like 15w50 viscosity (sp?) atleast thats what i have always heard to use im sure that someone else can help you out too as soon as bwamos sees this thread he will help you out hes knows alot of stuff about 300exs and big bores for them if you have some real technical questions

2muchquad
01-07-2006, 01:28 PM
you wont have a problem with reliability.i would get a oil cooler though,i got one new for $25.get one for a light duty truck,they are small enough to fit on the frame,plus they will help a lot.i have one on my 385.i have a 11.5 to 1 86mm je piston and the electric starter turns it over no problem.i have a wb "all around" cam and i ported my own head.it rips!.

humblesquirel21
01-07-2006, 04:50 PM
thanx a ton i forgot to mention that i plan to put opn an oil cooler when i talked to fst they insisted and it definetly sounded liek the right i dea to me anyway. I have allways run k@n oil filters with full synethitic 10-40 castrol gps (super bike oil) i have heaerd the full synthetic is bad for your clutch to much slipage but in the last two years i have had no problems my ebc clutch has never sliped or had un nessisary wear thanx again everyone for ur time and coments and thanx in advance to anyone who does coement after i post this

srfootball50
01-07-2006, 08:46 PM
full synthetic oil is fine to use as long as it doesnt have i belive they are called friction modifiers but since you have ran that oil for that long with the same clutch your oil probably doesnt have them

alexmx22
01-08-2006, 08:28 AM
how do you mount the oil cooler on the motor, where does it connect?

countypark
01-08-2006, 08:41 AM
If you run an oil cooler and change your oil alot your engine will last for a long time.

I change mine every race with Castrol GTX 20W50 and its been running for 3 race seasons without a rebuild.

Search the powertrain forum for pics of how to mount the cooler. There is two ways to do it:

1 is to drill and tap the oil filter cover.

The other is to spice into the oil line that runs from the valve cover to the engine.

Either way works fine.

bwamos
01-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by humblesquirel21
i havea 300ex which i plan to perform major egine work on in the next few mounths. i plan to put in a high compresion (11-1) big bore (330) pistion the head will be ported and polished i will install an aggresive cam along with new cam chain, h/d springs and hardened rockers. To manage over heating i plan to instal an oil cooler. all the sercice will be performed and parts will be suplied by a profecional enginbuilder (im thinking mickey dunlap's four stroke tech).

my concern is that i will lose relibilty after i instll the big bore kit. I have heard that 11-1 is the highest relible ratio for compresion. I have heard rumors that i need to invest in new hardend head studs. any tips would be gratly apreciated

Been running my FST 330ex for 5+ years without any issues. And, I run it HARD.

I heard rumors of Mickey Dunlap leaving FST. (probably a BS considering this is the internet, but may want to check).

The oil cooler will come with installation instructions. Mine is spliced into the copper oil line. Works great.

The FST 330ex works great.. but if I were to do it again, I'd probably go with Curtis Sparks. He can do great things with the 300ex.

Also you only need hardened rockers if you use a hardweld cam like WEB. If it's a drop in cam, you dont want to hardweld the rockers. But, you're engine builder can get you setup right.

Get his reccomendations on cam's, pipe, etc. They usually know what works together the best.

I also run 20w50 synthetic in mine.. but I prefer the AMSOIL HP 4-stroke Motorcycle 20w50 (V-Twin blend).

With a 330cc you may want to look into HD Clutch springs, and an easy pull clutch lever w/ hotstart (for the reverse). The 330 will sometimes make the stock clutch slip a little after it gets hot. It's only like $15

countypark
01-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Mickey Dunlap is Four Stroke Tech!

humblesquirel21
01-09-2006, 08:03 PM
thanx why curtis sparks ??? and i have an ebc clutch that has been great heavy duty springs and plates absolutly love it for the record i am allso gona stay with my yosh pipe it cost a fortune and its the second pipe i have purchased plus its an incredible pipe it sounds amazing but not to loud and it gives a huge post in power for and exhaust pipe

ps i have an edle brock carb wich i allso love but i was wondering does anyone know what the proper procedure would be to set it up for a big bore

bwamos
01-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by countypark
Mickey Dunlap is Four Stroke Tech!

Aye. That's what I thought. But heard a rumor that he left. He probably just isn't running a sponsorship this year and the rumor grew.

Like I said it's the internet.... lol. I just wanted to suggest that he double check before sending it off, and finding out later Mickey didn't do the build.

bwamos
01-10-2006, 08:22 AM
thanx why curtis sparks ??? and i have an ebc clutch that has been great heavy duty springs and plates absolutly love it for the record i am allso gona stay with my yosh pipe it cost a fortune and its the second pipe i have purchased plus its an incredible pipe it sounds amazing but not to loud and it gives a huge post in power for and exhaust pipe

ps i have an edle brock carb wich i allso love but i was wondering does anyone know what the proper procedure would be to set it up for a big bore

I just like Curtis. No other reason really. Never had a problem with Mickey either. You can't go wrong either way IMHO.

Basically if you need a lot of help (customer support), Curtis is your best bet. If your pretty self sufficent, and aren't bothered by Mickey's crass construction worker personality you'll love him just as much. As I do. He's a hardass, but ya gotta love him.. lol.

I've found the best way to communicate with Mickey is to send him an e-mail with precise questions, and exactly what type of riding you are looking for improvement on. He's always in the shop, so you're aren't going to catch him by the phone.

If you already have a Yosh, keep it. It's a great pipe. :)

humblesquirel21
01-11-2006, 09:10 PM
thanx that helps do u know his email so that i might contact him believe it or not i think i have talked to him directly by phone not but 6 mounths ago hes very smart and not afraid to speak his mind liol but he lightens up if u ask afew intelegent qustions and listen to what he has to say i apreciated his straight up matter of fact way of putting things it made it very simple for me to understand the things i didnt

ps does fst have a web site any more

alexmx22
01-11-2006, 09:30 PM
www.fourstroketech.net

bwamos
01-12-2006, 08:26 AM
thanx that helps do u know his email so that i might contact him

I'll have to look it up when I get home.

I see that he also has specific hours to call him now. 4pm-7pm M-F. That probably helps a lot.

Quad Boy 660r
01-16-2006, 05:29 PM
That rumor prbably started up from the fact that there will be no Four Stroke Tech GNCC Race Team in 2006. Read that in Dirtwheels. Also, how fast is a built 330. I know there are many states of tune, but a local around here is saying his can beat my Raptor 660 in a drag. I'm pretty sure it is bull, but I hate to underestimate things.
P.S. His is set up for GNCC as far as I know.

bwamos
01-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Quad Boy 660r
That rumor prbably started up from the fact that there will be no Four Stroke Tech GNCC Race Team in 2006. Read that in Dirtwheels. Also, how fast is a built 330. I know there are many states of tune, but a local around here is saying his can beat my Raptor 660 in a drag. I'm pretty sure it is bull, but I hate to underestimate things.
P.S. His is set up for GNCC as far as I know.

A built 330 (like what I've got), is about equal to a 400ex with pipe/filter/no lid, and a mild cam). Anything more and the 330 is toast. The 330 has no hope against a 660 in a straight line drag other than a fouled plug, or a bad rider, lol.

alexmx22
01-17-2006, 01:40 PM
where would i find the sparks 330 kit?

Quad Boy 660r
01-17-2006, 02:17 PM
I believe it is sparksracing.com
Also, thanks bwamos. I didnt think it would ,but I would hate to walk into a race like that and be taken by surprise. I just remembered an old issue of ATVSport(I think) and they said a Four Stroke Tech 330 they tested was neck and neck with a stone stock Z 400. That is pretty good though.