NaiLBoMB64
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
thx
i did that frist still after ridein a bit she still came off
the stock bracket holds it on but i dont want to put a hole in it
:confused:

cals400ex
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
buy a sparks billet ring. that ring will work with the sparks filter, the uni filter, etc. it provides a secure mount and provides a smooth tract for the air flow. i am thinking it was like $25 but it was one thing i would definately buy again.

NaiLBoMB64
01-06-2006, 06:45 PM
MM
i have to try that
thxs for the help peps

cals400ex
01-06-2006, 06:46 PM
by the way, i felt the mounting system with the uni sucked. i run a foam filter with NO cage in it. with that sparks billet ring you will have a good mount. the filter will not collapse without a cage. i also found if you tightened the uni on too tight it would fall off. you just need to snug it up if you are using the uni filter with the uni cage. with the sparks billet ring and no cage you can put it really tight.

Jersey450R
01-06-2006, 08:32 PM
i've never had a problem with my uni filter and i've had it for about 8 months. i use the cage and thats it, no stock adapter. you cant wrench down on it too hard or it will collapse the black rubber boot.

goldrims04
01-06-2006, 11:41 PM
all i run is uni filters no problems here just dont over tighten

Moto92
01-06-2006, 11:51 PM
where do you buy this billet ring at?
i see nothing about it on the site

shamisc
01-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by NaiLBoMB64
besides the stock bracket ?

WHOOOOOOOA!! Hey bud, you need to slide that CC breather hose up tight to the filter or you'll be buying new rings before you know it!:eek2:

speedfreaksguy
01-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
i've never had a problem with my uni filter and i've had it for about 8 months. i use the cage and thats it, no stock adapter. you cant wrench down on it too hard or it will collapse the black rubber boot.

I'm with you. I use the cage the Uni came with and have never had a problem. I've had my 04 for 2 years now and have changed my filter a hundred times.

400exrider707
01-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
by the way, i felt the mounting system with the uni sucked. i run a foam filter with NO cage in it. with that sparks billet ring you will have a good mount. the filter will not collapse without a cage. i also found if you tightened the uni on too tight it would fall off. you just need to snug it up if you are using the uni filter with the uni cage. with the sparks billet ring and no cage you can put it really tight.

Were you running the cage when it fell off? The cage is what provides the support right at the intake tube so you can tighten the clamp down really tight. My buddy did experience it slipping off too though even though he had the cage in. We machined our own custom billet rings similar to the sparks one, then run the UNIS with no cage. Works great and you can tighten the clamp down as hard as you want.

cals400ex
01-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Were you running the cage when it fell off? The cage is what provides the support right at the intake tube so you can tighten the clamp down really tight. My buddy did experience it slipping off too though even though he had the cage in. We machined our own custom billet rings similar to the sparks one, then run the UNIS with no cage. Works great and you can tighten the clamp down as hard as you want.

mine actually never did fall off. when i ran the uni with the uni cage i could tighten it down and then pull on the filter a little bit and with a little up and down movement you could easily get the filter to fall off. i never did like that design. i agree, run the sparks billet adaptor or machine your own......

by the way, i would never run the uni without the uni cage or the billet adaptor. if you have an adaptor, there is no need for the cage though.

cals400ex
01-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Moto92
where do you buy this billet ring at?
i see nothing about it on the site

it doesn't show a price for some reason. and maybe you can't even buy the billet ring without buying one filter. i don't know. i bought the ring and 2 filters at the same time. this billet ring you can't even see in the link down below. this ring is what sparks calls a supercharger ring. it mounts in the air boot where you tighten the airfilter clamp down. this way you are tightening the clamp down to a solid piece of metal....thus you can tighten it as tight as you want and nothing will slip off like with the uni filter cage.

http://www.sparksracing.com/frame_1.htm

cals400ex
01-07-2006, 01:57 PM
well it does show a price in the smaller print reading. it says a foam filter and the billet ring cost $44.95 and you can buy additional filters for $29.95. i bought these sparks products through C&D. i don't know but you may save a few dollars if you do that.

Moto92
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
tonight i took the cage out of my UNI and it seems to mount alot easier now. Before it always seemed to have trouble sliding on and staying there. Now I can slide it all the way up and it still clamps on very tight

400exrider707
01-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Moto92
tonight i took the cage out of my UNI and it seems to mount alot easier now. Before it always seemed to have trouble sliding on and staying there. Now I can slide it all the way up and it still clamps on very tight

How can you possibly mount a uni without the cage tightly, unless you have a billet ring inside. If you dont have the billet ring, then your just tightening the filter down on to the intake boot. Your tightening down to rubber. Your air filter will fall off! It's either too loose, or if its tight then your just deforming the intake boot and it will fall off! It needs some sort of support in there to clamp to.

Jersey450R
01-09-2006, 05:24 AM
if you are having trouble with the uni staying on, its most likely that when your putting it on, its not on all the way, or the intake is collapsed from pushing on it and now you have a bad seal.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-09-2006, 09:12 AM
make sure that after you oil the filter that you use carb cleaner and a rag to clean all the oil off the inside and outside of the rubber lip also make sure the clamp is clean and do not over tighten it.