PDA

View Full Version : CDI boxes....

yokeracer
01-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey guys,

Thinking about getting a new ignition. I've heard, stay away from the cheap ones. So what are the good ones?

underpowered
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
GT thunder and TC racing, i have also heard the hot shot series from Ricks electrics is decent as well.

yokeracer
01-06-2006, 05:01 PM
who has them the cheapest, if you know off hand, if not I'll research.

thanx:D

whiteflash
01-06-2006, 06:17 PM
i have a whitebrothers cdi, i only got it cause it was like 35 bucks. it's supposedly one of the worst, but its worked fine for me. i did notice that when it gone a little colder, like 30's,it makes it alittle harder to start, but its not that bad...

yokeracer
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I have heard of that happening with the cheaper brands:ermm: (no offense), but I think that I'll go with something a lil better. Because I love to ride in below zero weather:D

ride_red666
01-06-2006, 07:07 PM
one of my friends has a vortex ignition, it was about $100 and it works well. he has no trouble starting in the cold, not anymore trouble than before it was added.

yokeracer
01-06-2006, 07:08 PM
sounds good, thanx:D

whiteflash
01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by yokeracer
Ibut I think that I'll go with something a lil better. Because I love to ride in below zero weather:D

in that case, i wouldnt get it. If it gets below freezing were very lucky around here...

yokeracer
01-06-2006, 09:28 PM
So...what about switching back to the stock one when it does get below zero? I'll probably get it and play with the jetting a lil to get it to start in below zero temps.
what cha' think?:o

jamienlogan
01-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I just bought a procom cdi and it fired up right away. I didnt even have to choke it and its cold. The one thing I cant figure out is I put it in and now I cant shut the motor of with the key it shuts the nutueral light and head lights, but not the engine. I have to use the kill swich.

yokeracer
01-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by jamienlogan
I just bought a procom cdi and it fired up right away. I didnt even have to choke it and its cold. The one thing I cant figure out is I put it in and now I cant shut the motor of with the key it shuts the nutueral light and head lights, but not the engine. I have to use the kill swich.

:ermm:

ImWhite
01-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by yokeracer
So...what about switching back to the stock one when it does get below zero? I'll probably get it and play with the jetting a lil to get it to start in below zero temps.
what cha' think?:o

i switched to stock once i finally got a stock box....for awhile all i had was my WB one,when i first put it in it started better than it did with the stock one being in,but in the cold it wanted to sputter alittle but it always starts!

yokeracer
01-07-2006, 06:16 AM
So, from what I'm hearing. The better brand CDI's start better in the cold weather, opposed to the lesser expensive brands.

I guess you get what you pay for.:rolleyes:

jamienlogan
01-07-2006, 07:22 AM
the procom is only like 45 dollars

K_Fulk
01-07-2006, 09:40 AM
The only ignition I would consider buying would be the MSD.

Ive tried a couple diffrent boxes and didnt notice much of a diffrence.

Sure the msd is a lot more expensive then the boxes , but it has a does a lot more then give you a 1000 more rpm's and advance your timing.

underpowered
01-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
The only ignition I would consider buying would be the MSD.

Ive tried a couple diffrent boxes and didnt notice much of a diffrence.

Sure the msd is a lot more expensive then the boxes , but it has a does a lot more then give you a 1000 more rpm's and advance your timing.

MSD is great if you can afford it. a pain to wire but it is fully adjustable, has a holeshot mode, and you set it to your standards.

K_Fulk
01-07-2006, 10:00 AM
The big spark was what I was mostly interested in.

The holeshot control and the topend retarding are just icing on the cake. Never did get around to getting one though.

underpowered
01-07-2006, 10:21 AM
my buddy has it on his 460ex. works great, been on there for about 2 years with no problems.