PDA

View Full Version : FoxRacing81's Rebuild

FoxRacing81
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
....Will start very soon....

Gonna use this thread to post pictures in and out....I recently got into to powdercoating so I will be doing everything all myself....

Here are my colors so far...

Plastics will be red (stock)

Frame, Hubs, Oil Cover and Starter Gear Cover, Top A Arms, Shock Linkage, Tie Rods, Case Saver, Heat Sheild, and the End Cap on my White Brothers R4 and a few more things will be done in Candy Blue Translucent.

Subframe, Swingarm, Lower A Arms, Spindles, Side Cases, Sprockets, Front Bumper, Oil Tank, Levers, and a few more things will be done in Black Mini Tex (aka Stealth Black)

Wheels, Steering Stem, and a couple other things will be done Satin Black with a high gloss clear coat.

My White Brothers R4 Cannister, Motor Mounts, HONDA letters on side case, and a few more things will be done in Black Chrome.

I will also be getting hopefully 18in rear tires and 20in fronts, Gforce Axle, and maybe a few other things.

Today, 1/6/06, I ordered all of the powder, sand blaster, heat tape, hanging rack, and more.

Pics will be coming very soon.

-Justin

FoxRacing81
01-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Just ordered top end gasket kit, and 4 new balljoints for my Houser a arms. Ordering Kenda Klaw MX 18in rears and 20in fronts tonight along with new nerf bar webbing. Still waiting on the powder and stuff that I ordered Friday.

Pic's coming soon. Have to make a case swap between my 426 motor and other regular 400, so hopefully I can make plans with my mechanic tonight to get that done soon.

Keep checking this thread if you want to see my progress. I will be beginning to coat as soon as my coating and blasting parts arrive.

-Justin

FoxRacing81
01-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Got all the powder, and blasting supplies. Would start sandblasting and powdercoating, but one of the pieces on the water remover for the air line on the sand blaster is broken, and we can't figure out how it works, so I am kind've on hold with that...

Made a deal with my mechanic, going to have the cases swapped and hopefully have the engine back and ready to run by next week (will be taken to my mechanic pending whenever the gasket kit arrives)

Oh yeah, here's a picture of the Black Mini Tex that I did and will be used on certain parts on my 426. This isn't my bumper, it is my friends.

miller821
01-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Sounds like its gonna be sweet. I can't wait to see the pics.

400exMO
01-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Looks like your friend needs some different offset rims.

01-17-2006, 10:58 AM
sounds mint, I also am doing some of that tex black on my quad.

FoxRacing81
01-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Just got sandblasting cabinet...so I have the cabinet to do parts up to the size of a swingarm, and then a regular blaster to do frames and stuff...

I just got done messing around with it...think it worked pretty sweet...

Here's my motor mounts sandblasted, prepped, and ready to be coated...

FoxRacing81
01-21-2006, 07:04 PM
...and here is them, powdercoated black mini tex (which is an awesome powder, by the way), cured, and ready to use.

Only good sand I could find was sand that was wet (it was half off...couldn't pass it up) so I have been paitently waiting for it to dry. Got the first batch of it dry, and it was only enough to do a few test pieces...

Just gotta dry some more of it, and I will start doing lots of pieces...

-Justin

m1ke
01-21-2006, 11:06 PM
How is powdercoating done? mix sand in paint? :confused:

alaskin 450R
01-22-2006, 01:29 AM
you should so us some before and after pics when you get done :devil:

FoxRacing81
01-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by m1ke
How is powdercoating done? mix sand in paint? :confused:

Powdercoating is done by spraying a certain powder on to a cleaned and prepped part (has to be metal), and curing it (usually by baking it in an oven). When you bake it, the powder turns from its powder-stage to a solid layer on the part. The final result will not scratch easily at all, and I think it looks sweet.

I really have to get some Candy Blue done and post some pics.

-Justin

FoxRacing81
01-28-2006, 06:02 PM
White Brothers R4....not riveted back together or anything, just sittin like this...

luvmyex
01-29-2006, 08:17 AM
sounds almost just like my rebuild:huh glad ya dont lve near me:D i guess you just have good taste in color choice

FoxRacing81
02-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Sidecases biatch!

(Timing holes, oil filter cover, and starter gear cover will be candy blue soon.)

FoxRacing81
02-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Here we go....

hondajoe05
02-12-2006, 09:23 AM
looks nice

hoser 400ex
02-12-2006, 09:24 AM
WOW nice job. guna look sweet when your done. i had my side cases done on my ex. it started to wear off from boots etc. but still looked sweet!

Live2Ride300
02-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Those cases look sweet. Did you remove the bearings that the clutch lifter rides on?

ride_red666
02-12-2006, 03:52 PM
looks sweet

02-12-2006, 05:23 PM
damn, cleen up that workbench.

lol, jk. looking nice, lets see some more pics.

FoxRacing81
02-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
Those cases look sweet. Did you remove the bearings that the clutch lifter rides on?

That's actually what I was really concerned about.

Fortunatly, I had 2 sets of cases (2 motors I used to make 1 good one, so I figured I'll use both just incase I screw up on one of them.). I threw the one in the oven just to see what would happen if I left it in. I put it in for the same amount of time at the same temperature as if I was coating it. Took it out, checked it, and I saw nothing wrong at all with it. I compared it with the other side, and it looked exactly the same, and it moved just like the other one. So I am confident that it went fine.

Ya ya, I know the bench is messy! It's one of my bad habits I guess.

I have to get a couple pics of my oil tank, and mainly I have to do more pieces! Unfortunatly, I don't have a big enough oven to do my frame, so Pappy will probably do it for me.

Thanks guys!

-Justin

04'400ex'er
02-12-2006, 06:00 PM
where did you get your oven and where can you buy the powder? also, wats it cost to have a frame done?

tp300ex
02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
how do u re rivet it?

04'400ex'er
02-12-2006, 07:55 PM
stick a rivet on a rivet gun and pop it in there. Its simple

FoxRacing81
02-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
where did you get your oven and where can you buy the powder? also, wats it cost to have a frame done?

My uncle hooked me up with an old oven for free...so I had some luck with that...I searched for a little at the local scratch n dent store...but they didn't have anything worth the price..

I get powder from here...
www.columbiacoatings.com

Talk to Pappy about getting your frame done. I'd love to do frames, but I just don't have the oven.

-Justin

Live2Ride300
02-13-2006, 07:53 AM
When I went to coat my clutch cover, I checked service honda for a part number on that bearing but couldn't find anything, so I just went ahead and did it. I'm hoping the bearing isn't going to fail. If so I've got a spare to throw on there.

What color are you doing your frame?

400EXtreme
02-13-2006, 07:57 AM
its lookin nice

Live2Ride300
02-13-2006, 12:02 PM
I just finished welding up my frame, I'm building up an MX 440EX. Here is a picture of the swingarm pivot bolt area which was tottally destroyed before.

FoxRacing81
02-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
I just finished welding up my frame, I'm building up an MX 440EX. Here is a picture of the swingarm pivot bolt area which was tottally destroyed before.

Now that's some skills man! That looks like something you'd find on like one of the new production bikes. Very nice job.

Frame is going to be the same Candy Blue, and then the same color tex black for the subframe. All of this with stock red plastics. I love the way red and blue look together. I really gotta get going on this soon...its way too cold for me tho :grr:

Live2Ride300
02-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks man, I just gotta do the other side now.

Ya we just got hit with about a foot of snow. But it is supposed to rain today or tommorow. We've had a really weird winter so far.

02-15-2006, 11:55 AM
hey, Im from jaffrey nh, heard of it?

Live2Ride300
02-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Ya I've heard of Jaffrey. Do you guys have alot of riding around there?

Flyin-Low
02-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Haha, i live in canada and where i am we have barely gotten any snow at all this winter... really been fun for riding... im thinking about getting my frame pc'ed and i was wondering about how much it would cost?

Live2Ride300
02-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Today it felt like spring, I was outside in a t-shirt!

A frame usually cost 150 - 250 depending upon the prep.

02-15-2006, 09:35 PM
it was also like 60f hout at my house today, I was wearing t-shirt too. opened up the windows to the shop.

as for riding, there is nothing great.. like 3 sand pits that are 5 min from my house. then some old rail road beds, one runs up the side of the highway, real fun,, race cars.
cupple practice tracks.

ever heard of the flyin fins? they race neatv. well they have a nice mx practice track that is about 30 min from my house. they are super picky about letting ppl ride on it tho. hopefully next year I can sneek in.

then there is crow hill mx just into mass. more of a dirbike track, havent riden it yet. cupple more sand pits just into mass also, they are nothing special.

FoxRacing81
02-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Well, I think I'ma delay this build a year or too. Just went to a race with my buddy (he got first btw) and that's all it took to make me wanna race. So, I am just going to throw it back together the way it is, and get ready for the next race. Even though I haven't rode in about 4-5months, a few races in D class and I'm sure I'll get into it!

-Justin