PDA

View Full Version : stem questions...

blakefoote
01-06-2006, 02:42 PM
ok...this is gonna sound stupid but how it the heck do you tighten then steering stem....my stem as a lil play in it so I was going to tighten it....:ermm:

Chino
01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
there are two places you can tighten the stem, there is also a bushing.

get underneath your quad, follow your stem down and you will see the big nut on the bottom of the stem under the frame.

Also take the front plastic off and about 1/4 way down the stem you will see a clamp looking thing, it should be held on by two 14mm bolts, tighten that, but while your doing that go ahead and take it off, take that bushing out and re-grease it then tighten it back up, i will try to find a picture and help you out.

Unverfehrt400ex
01-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Could be the stem bearing also. mine was starting to go bad and my stem would have a little play in it.

Chino
01-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Chino
01-06-2006, 04:39 PM
okay first off take # 11 off re-grease the bushing # 1 then put that part back together.

Then take the cotter pin out of the bottom of the stem #9 and tighten up the nut on it # 6

That should help you out buddy. Also check for play on all 4 tierod ends, sometimes you think your stem is loose and your tierod ends have play in them. Take two 14mm wrenches to check that, put one on top and but one on the bottom of the tie-rod to keep it from spinning, spin it till your wrench finds the square nut on it.

Chino
01-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Unverfehrt400ex
Could be the stem bearing also. mine was starting to go bad and my stem would have a little play in it.

If everything I stated above does not work, then you know for sure it is the stem bearing. But to really get to the problem you do the easiest things first, and eliminate them then move onto the more difficult, it's not that hard to change the bearing in the stem, just takes some patience and a nice size hammer.

blakefoote
01-07-2006, 04:00 PM
ok I dont understand how to tightn the stem itself...I took the catter pin out and I tried tightening the bolt and losening it...it wont do either one....it wont losen or tighten:huh ...so I dont know what to do............

Chino
01-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by blakefoote
ok I dont understand how to tightn the stem itself...I took the catter pin out and I tried tightening the bolt and losening it...it wont do either one....it wont losen or tighten:huh ...so I dont know what to do............

turn the gas off, stand the quad on it's grab bar, get someone with a lil bit of muscle in them and break it loose, put some loctite on it, then put it back on, if that doesn't solve your problem then do the other steps i listed, I'm doing everything i can for you other than coming to where you live and doing it for ya man.

blakefoote
01-07-2006, 07:42 PM
we got it!!! shoo.....but it didnt fix the play in it...so i guess we weill have to check out the top of the stem like you said....:ermm:

JOEX
01-07-2006, 08:19 PM
we got it!!! shoo.....but it didnt fix the play in it...so i guess we weill have to check out the top of the stem like you said....:ermm:
What kind of play do you have?

blakefoote
01-07-2006, 08:23 PM
turning te bars side to side and it has a lil play in it....(no up and down play):ermm:

JOEX
01-07-2006, 08:51 PM
turning te bars side to side and it has a lil play in it....(no up and down play):ermm:
It could be the tie rods like Chino suggested. They'll turn some but shouldn't wiggle back and forth.

Or maybe the balljoints are worn?:ermm:

Chino
01-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It could be the tie rods like Chino suggested. They'll turn some but shouldn't wiggle back and forth.

Or maybe the balljoints are worn?:ermm:

more than likely it has to be the tie rods, you can't really feel ball joints in the stem, jack the bike up, wiggle both front tires and look at the ball joints to see if they are the problem. while the bike is jacked up have someone turn the bars and look at all 4 tie rods each one seperatly and i bet 500$ that you will see the tie rod wiggling loosely in the stem or on the hub mount. What i've said here and in my above posts are the only things that could be wrong.

Reply when ya get er fixed and what it was

Ex907rider
02-13-2009, 03:13 AM
I have the same problem.. but i found out it was the inner tierod end, on the left side. How do i go about fixing/replacing it?
Do i have to change both ends? or can i just fix/replace the one, inner end?

Homerx
02-13-2009, 07:44 AM
You can just do the one, but there cheap, do them all and your quad will feel nice an tight like new again.

buck440
02-13-2009, 10:54 AM
if its loose left and right its ball joints and its really annoying, im getting new stem and balljoints cause i hate all that play it has.