PDA

View Full Version : checking the oil

dirtpig
01-06-2006, 02:02 PM
This has got me baffled......... i warmed up my 400ex for 20minutes rode around and then checked the oil and it would not even show on the stick. It wouldn't even show when I screwed it in. It was sitting level on concrete and still no sign of oil. Seems like to me I would have noticed something like leaking oil or smoking Quad, but no signs of either. It has never needed any oil added before between oil changes.The motor sounds and runs fine. Damn if I know! I will change oil tomorrow add 2 Qts and see what is says then. Any ideas?

ImWhite
01-06-2006, 02:21 PM
mine has done that before because i didnt have 1 of the bolts tight enough,it leaked little by little,i doubt it would be anything major

dirtpig
01-06-2006, 02:25 PM
one of what bolts

97blaster200
01-06-2006, 05:02 PM
the oil is probably all around the crankcase....just go outside tomorrow and then check the oil then tell us what it says.

EDIT* and dont let it run before u check it.

fwm416ex
01-06-2006, 05:48 PM
The 400 ex is a dry sump oil system,which means the main supply of oil is not stored in the engine but in the oil tank.To properly check the oil level you must do the following.
-start up engine and warm the oil for 5 minutes at idle only do not raise the engine rpms above idle speed as this will give a false reading on the dipstick.When the engine is warm, shut off the bike and wait two to three minutes only then check the oil with the dipstick at the oil tank being sure NOT to screw the dipstick into the tank,just up to the threads.I like to have the oil level near the top mark but not above.Also i recommend that you get a manual.They are very helpful and can save you a lot of money in the long run.GOOD LUCK

MY RIDE

97blaster200
01-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by fwm416ex
The 400 ex is a dry sump oil system,which means the main supply of oil is not stored in the engine but in the oil tank.To properly check the oil level you must do the following.
-start up engine and warm the oil for 5 minutes at idle only do not raise the engine rpms above idle speed as this will give a false reading on the dipstick.When the engine is warm, shut off the bike and wait two to three minutes only then check the oil with the dipstick at the oil tank being sure NOT to screw the dipstick into the tank,just up to the threads.I like to have the oil level near the top mark but not above.Also i recommend that you get a manual.They are very helpful and can save you a lot of money in the long run.GOOD LUCK

MY RIDE

well i stand corrected....lol....i thought it was stored in the motor....my fault

dirtpig
01-06-2006, 08:43 PM
I would like know where all that oil went........I checked it just like the owners manual says. Never had this happen before

JOEX
01-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I don't know exactly how the system works but I do know it has to idle for a few minutes before checking.

I was doing a plug check once, shut the motor off at high rpm's etc.. Checked the oil afterward and nothing was registering, scared the chit outta me because I just rebuilt it. Took me awhile to realize why there was no reading:p

fitethesystom
01-06-2006, 09:55 PM
fwm416ex - $#@% sweet pic dude.