PDA

View Full Version : port and polish

400expooner
01-06-2006, 01:46 PM
i was wondering if anyone knew if you can port and polish yourself. i am wanting to do this but dont know if it is safe.

ImWhite
01-06-2006, 02:30 PM
i wouldnt do it yourself but thats just me,take it to some1 with experience...any doubts at all=NO!

4StrokinJay
01-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I looked into this also and from what I came up with is the polishing thing would be just that....polishing. The porting involves removal of the rough cast and if you get carried away you could really screw up the flow. It didn't sound hard to do at all but I think you you need to know what works through experience.

wcbomb
01-06-2006, 04:46 PM
have more exp. with V8 engines but the more you do, the more you learn! If you never done any porting or polishing it"s very easy to make it flow worse than it did before. If you decide to do it your self just clean up the rough casting on exhaust side, need to pull exh. valves to do it right. RULE NO 1 don"t get greety with the grinder. Nothing better than you know you done it yourself.

2muchquad
01-06-2006, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE]RULE NO 1 don"t get greety with the grinder. Nothing better than you know you done it yourself[/Q
just like that,you can do some resaearch online,its not hard if you know how the internal combustion engine operates.it would be easier to practice on a beater motorbefore you gotearing into a new 4fiddy head totally blindless.:D experience is the best teacher.been doin mine since 91:)

ill_lil_romey
01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
It's not very hard to do a simple clean up port and polish, but like someone said before it is easy to make it flow worse than before if U take too much off, and if your lookin for certain power characteristics it would be well advised to go to someone with experiance.

dunny_mark
01-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but four strokes shouldn't get polished. Only ported-polishing is only for 2-stroke. The grooves in the porting gives you the power?

400exrider707
01-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by dunny_mark
Correct me if I'm wrong, but four strokes shouldn't get polished. Only ported-polishing is only for 2-stroke. The grooves in the porting gives you the power?

Polishing on the exhaust side is ok, but the intake should be left rough to atomize the gas.

400exmkt
01-07-2006, 03:44 PM
what I did was a search on here and there was some pics of a 450r.I printed out pics of it and took them to the gut that did my motor. (he worked on drag cars before quads) Asked him what he thought of it and he said no problem. i watched him do it and you have to be very carefull like everyone else is saying. But after watching him do it i fill that it wouldnt be a big deal to do it yourself. JUST DONT GO CRAZY WITH THE GRINDER LIKE EVERYONE IS SAYING.

400expooner
01-08-2006, 12:06 AM
thanks you guys. im going to have a friend do it that works at the local honda shop and has done it to many 4 stroke dirt bikes and quads.

bwamos
01-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Polishing on the exhaust side is ok, but the intake should be left rough to atomize the gas.
^^^ What he said.