PDA

View Full Version : is wr better

400-416EX
01-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Is going to the wr really that much better and more reliable? I have a few good friends telling me it is. Will it pull harder from bottom to top?

zeppelin
01-06-2006, 02:28 PM
you are talikng about the yamaha wr dirtbikes right?, i personaly think that they are a wate of money, and that it much better just to get a yz and put after market woods stuff on it. the biggest differences between the yz and wr are the supsension ( the wr is alot softer and isnt really good for much more than moderate trail riding, while the yz can do so much more it wont soak up the little stuff as well but if you have any of those big hill climbs where you ride the kind that through you up a couple of feet into the air at the top, then you'll start to apreciate the yz suspension more), the motor on the wr is really choked up, the throttle tube has a top that only lets you get to 3/4 throttle, the muffler is very restictive ad steel vs the yz aluminum. the jetting is really conservative and it has a much tammer cam than the yz. the yz will rape it out of every coner and kill down all of the straights. the wr motor is a tank however, i the thing could probably run on goat piss. im not saying the yz isnt though they are pretty much bullet proof aswell i have had mine since 01 and it has never been rebuilt and its still as strong as ever. but its really personal preference, do you want an easy riding bike that you can put around on all day or do you want an arm jerker that takes a llitle work to ride

400-416EX
01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
sorry should have stated that i am talking about the yfz, and going to the wr crank

zeppelin
01-06-2006, 03:33 PM
when you say crank do you mean just the crank shaft or the whole bottom end? the actual crank on both bike is the same but the wr has a wide ratio transmition that gives it a lower first gear and taller fifth, unless you have a problem with how tall first gear it on your yfz or its top speed i wouldnt switch over to the wr bottom end, because of the taller gearing on 3rd, 4th and 5th the bike will feel less power full in those gears

crandles
01-08-2006, 06:42 AM
He is talking about the wr crank and rod compared to the yfz. Yes it is proven to be better after it does give you ten more cc's. It has a longer stroke than the yfz. Personally I would just go with the yfz 06 crank. Then you can just stay with the regular piston rather than have to buy wr stuff all the time. It does the same thing. I thing the main thing you will feel is the torque difference.