PDA

View Full Version : I need some support

culookn
01-06-2006, 09:22 AM
I was invloved in a bad wreck back in july that resulted in having a compressed spine & a crushed t12. Even though I was in the hospital for nearly a week for the injuries, I told the Dr's, friends and family that I dont want to give up riding. Soon after I got out of body brace in October, I joined a local gym and have been working out nearly everyday to get my strength back so I can start riding. But as spring time gets closer as well as riding season, my nerves are starting to tell me to give up riding. Im 23 yrs old, just finished college, and will hopefully be starting a job this time next year. The last thing I need is to be in that brace again for another 3 months or worse, crippled. I've had plenty of injuires before, but this tops them all. I know i wanna ride again and maybe even join a race or two, but something in the back of my minde is telling me to give it up. What should I do guys??

steveatv3
01-06-2006, 09:34 AM
just ask yourself is it worth being in a wheel chair before your 30?

duke416ex
01-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I would say you are going to get many types of responses from this question. I have been through this, but not on such an extreme level as you. My first year racing motorcross I broke my leg very badly. I didn't want to stop riding, but everyone else wanted me to. I decided to keep going. I still don't like to jump anymore, now I just race xc. Before every race I get the jitters about my leg, but I just try to relax. I think you just have to go with what you want. We are close to the same age, so I understand about you thinking you need to slow down and start looking at other things in life that are more important. If you are going to be nervous on a quad all the time, you probably aren't going to have fun, you might think about a ute to just trail ride and stuff so you can stay in the game, but not on such an intense level.:ermm:

culookn
01-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by steveatv3
just ask yourself is it worth being in a wheel chair before your 30?

i did and thats why i think its better to move on in life. i think the 450r might be forsale real soon.

ImWhite
01-06-2006, 11:26 AM
was your wreck involved in a race or just regular riding?
if it was a race id lay off the races since u just got out of college and u have a good life ahead of u....i know injuries can come from regular play around riding but if your smart and careful they wont be as extreme or maybe not at all,so i'd say lay off the highspeed crazy jumping stuff and maybe just ride casually through feilds with friends and go offroading everynow and then

my dad always told me when i was younger and sometimes still to this day lol-"stupid things,happen to stupid people"
so dont be stupid!its your life,sounds like u have alot to look forward to in it,good luck with whatever u decide to do!

AtvMxRider
01-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by culookn
i did and thats why i think its better to move on in life. i think the 450r might be forsale real soon.

Riding and racing is fun but you have to look at the future.

Tommy 17
01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
heres my experience take it for whats its worth...

when i was in 8th grade i wrecked racing on a cr80... shattered my left femur into 14 pieces... didn't walk for a year... didn't ride for a year and 1/2... when it was all over they told me i should never ride again... and just like u i questioned it and was like is it worth it???? i took one ride again and i got right back into it... yeah now when i ride i think alil more before i try something and i don't ride over my head...

so i say u keep riding... just take it easy and have fun... you don't have to be the fastest craziest guy out there... but just riding the track and trails having fun is a blast and still worth IT!!!!

take a ride one time... u'll know if u should continue to ride or not!

jrd426
01-06-2006, 11:42 AM
dude,dont let anybody but yourself influence your decision to ride or race again.i broke 16 bones in 2 years of racing and was in a wheelchair for just a few weeks short of a year.i gave it all up for about 3 years and just started riding again about 3 months ago.i was so nervous and scared to get hurt again.getting back on your bike is the only way to find out if your cut out to do this sport.dont listen to your parents,doctors,friends,or anybody else.only listen to heart!!!!!!!

wilkin250r
01-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Looks like it's time to transition to dune riding :cool:

Hon300ex
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
maybe get into cars or just go and watch the races. i def. wouldnt race anymore if i was u. its just not worth it. id get into cars or truck. you could ride utes and just trail ride or even racing them would be safer then racing motocross

culookn
01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
i actually got hurt just riding at a practice track we made. i was hauling through a set of whoops, got to the last one and it bucked to the right hard, i got thrown off/ahead of my quad, and then it ran me over. i did come pretty close to being paralized thats why im unsure of what route i should go. even if i give up riding i still want to be apart of the sport. whether its just going to nationals and hanging out, doing powder coat work, or maybe even open my own track. i just want to be able to walk by the time im 30. as for dune riding, i live in nj. the closest im getting to dunes is on the beach, and here in jersey, you cant ride on them lol.

Rip_Tear
01-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Time can only tell, just listen to what your body is telling you. It's not like you have to sell your ATV if you want to take longer to think about it. Just take more time and don't push yourself or let anyone push you either way. You will know what you want to do when your body tells you. It's got to be your overall decision, although you thought about being in a wheel chair for the rest of your life would suck, it'd also suck if you were to never get the joy of riding back. You/others could go a life time with only 1 bad wreck or a wreck every week.