PDA

View Full Version : 400ex parking brake

Sportrax10
07-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Can someone explian how to take off my 400ex parking brake? I was told that there wasnt any use for it and im also to lazy to adjust it to work right. i just leave it in gear, thanks!

Quadfather
07-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Take the cable off of the perch, snip the two wires, twist them together, wrap with electrical taper. Pull the cable through to the rear, take off two 12mm bolts, apply a coat of grease to parking break blockoff piece that you purchased, and bolt it on.

Unless you like a lot of rattling, buy a new clutch lever and perch. You can find them very cheap.

Sportrax10
07-04-2002, 09:29 PM
thanks i think im gonna get someone to show me in person on a 400EX so i understand better, im only 13 and just got got my EX so untill im more familiar with it ill just get someone to help me. im use to a POS old blaster. But i can already do some basic things
(im not comportable snipping wires yet LOL)

yamaha1470
07-05-2002, 04:12 PM
why would u put grease?

Also I just put mine on and now the brakes rub bad. Anyone know why?

Castor-426ex
07-05-2002, 10:23 PM
question...when i pulled the cover off to put my blockoff on...there was somethin in there that looks like a gear, or pinion..?????I took it out....should I have done that???

RytM1
07-06-2002, 12:10 AM
Hmmm, when I took off my parking brake, I don't recall having to cut anything. I disconnected the portion at the caliper, then just followed the cable back to the lever, unhooking the cable from all the necessary clamps/clips. Pull back the rubber boot on the lever, and you line up the cable with the slot in the lever. Then you pull the cable out of the lever, and pull the whole thing out towards the rear. I removed my parking brake without cutting anything, and can re-assemble it as quickly as i removed it if I ever have to.

Yamaha, sonds like the brakeoff is pushing on the piston. Maybe the hole in the center of the blockoff isn't deep enough, and it's pushing on the brake piston. Did you put the o-ring back between the blockoff and the caliper? That may give you the hair of space you need. I noticed mine didn't seem to fit right unless I had the o-ring in. A light coat of grease helps the o-ring seal.

Castor, it sounds like you need to take off one more piece maybe. Remove the one bolt from the center of the caliper on the left side, and remove the brake arm. Then remove the two bolts from the parking brake base. When you remove that, you should see a flat surface with about a pin sticking out of it approx 1/4". Put your blockoff in place of the parking brake base.

yamaha1470
07-06-2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
[B}Did you put the o-ring back between the blockoff and the caliper? That may give you the hair of space you need. I noticed mine didn't seem to fit right unless I had the o-ring in. A light coat of grease helps the o-ring seal.[/B]

I have the cascade and it has an o ring already on it. Is there another o-ring?

RytM1
07-06-2002, 09:03 AM
No, I was refering to the stock o-ring. My Nac's blockoff didn't come with an o-ring so I had to use the stock one.