PDA

View Full Version : Piston Rings HELPPPP !!

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-04-2002, 03:54 PM
Hello ,

I tierd my motor down tonight for installing my HRC Kit that I was talking about last thread . Well I came to the piston and removed it from the crankcase / Rod . Everything went fine . then I came to the piston rings and I looked in honda's service manual for my 400 ex for doing some messurments if the piston rings were still good . I didn't look good and I did not know anymore how the first ring from the top of my piston was installed . I think I flipt it and looked in the manual .. Oh they said the first rings top is the one with the letter N on top ... Ok I am searching and searching ...., NO Letter N ?????? :mad: what the f*ck is this ....

Curius I looked at the second ring that was still on the piston installed , ah a Letter N on top of the ring ????:eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

What do I do no ??? Did Honda ****ed it up in the factory by swithing the rings or what ???

So now the question is , should I leave it and install it like it is with my new piston or get new piston rings ?

What I also noticed was that the 2 ring with the letter N was a thicker one than the 1 ste without the letter N .Also the One with the Letter N was not so smooth at the edges than the first one ?

Could somebody confirm me if this setup was correct or how could I check it if the rings where at the correct level ?

tnx

Kenny

nakomis0
07-04-2002, 04:31 PM
It wouldn't hurt to get new rings... but I know that can be a pain, and i'm not sure the cost.

This is what I do know, the first ring should be more normal looking on the edge, while the second will have a slight slant, heres a crude pic ...

ps, dont forget to make sure the ring gaps are 120* apart from eachother, or else you will get 'blow by'.

nakomis0
07-04-2002, 04:34 PM
I wasn't sure what an HRC kit was at first. You did't get rings with your new piston? If it was me I would probably get new rings. The motor is open, might as well make everything brand new while it is.

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-04-2002, 04:37 PM
HRC kit is the Honda Racing Company Kit ...

But thanks for the pic , I have that also in my service manual , but I can't make any difference out of it with my eyes ...Is there a tools or trick to make sure ?

tnx

Kenny

nakomis0
07-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Well how did it run before, if it seemed to run fine, did'nt burn oil or smoke.

I would just put it back together the way it was. I'm thinking the rings have set themselfs how they are gonna be set.

When I come across these type of problems, I just take a guess and go with the old chinese proverb 'Just run it' Most the time it works, other times it just blows up...lol
:D :blah :square

good luck man.

Ketch
07-04-2002, 07:55 PM
B@CKBONEBELGIUM I just went out and looked at my piston it's stock right out of my motor and there is no n on it or the second ring either. There both .047 each in thckness and groves in pistons are both .051 so i think no big thing other than the bevel ring is the only different in the two. Thanks for the number on the needle. And i hope this helps

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-04-2002, 11:39 PM
tnx guys ,

I really appriciate it !!