PDA

View Full Version : giving class presentatoins

Jake250ex
01-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Does anyone dread giving presentations to death? I do. I didnt until my freshman year then something snapped and I get nervous as hell every time. My voice starts shaking really bad and I end up forgetting everything and not getting my point across at all. I cant find anything to help. I have found that having a partner helps and when its in a different language its not as hard (I have to in Spanish alot). Does anyone have any suggestions that would make me more comfortable?

WheelieMan4
01-05-2006, 08:30 PM
i cant stand them either, but i dont know what to tell u either...

01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I love them. I feel really feel comfortable with them. Just try and focus strictly on your info and not dwell on the people watching you.

400exrules
01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
yah, im all fine and good till i get up their then i get nervous and forget all the good points and details i was gonna talk about, so it winds up being alot shorter then i planned and i get a bad grade on it

it all depends on how many friends you have in the class though, cuz one class last year i had a ton of friends in it, and i knew everyone else pretty well, and me and my friends were messin with each other while we were presenting.....and when i went up to present, one of my friends said pretty loud, ''you have a boner!''...and i busted out laughin in front of the class, and it was hard to finish the presentation without laughing lol. but we did it to him, so its cool lol

JDiablo
01-05-2006, 08:47 PM
I was good until one year i messed up,but know,once i get up there,it doesn't bother me to much,most of the time i make the people laugh and the teacher so that always helps.I just hate everytime for our English midterms and finals,we have to make a stupid "visual aid" project thing and explain about it,pretty wack if you ask me.This year we have to make a five day diary entry about stories we read during the year.....well i hate reading,and i don't pay attention in that class,lets see how good this goes.......:chinese:

Tommy 17
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
wait till u guys take a college speech class... u'll see some funny things that people do...

we had to give them infront of about 200 people... one girl literally crawled up in a bawl infront of the class and started bawling her eyes out:o

another kid like pinned himself up against the wall behind him... and just stood there speechless for awhile... then passed out...

you see some funny things!

nosliw
01-05-2006, 09:07 PM
i'm 100% comfortable in from of an audience. no matter the size. i've completely winged speeches in my english class and gotten A's.

it's really a gift. some people get so freaked out.

redlineranger
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
i just get up there and read straight off of the paper, pretty much word for word

:ermm:

400exrules
01-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
i just get up there and read straight off of the paper, pretty much word for word

:ermm:

yah wait till u get outta middle school or whatever.....that doesnt fly anymore

bluebaron
01-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I have to give a 1 minute speech every week in spanish 2, not that big of a deal, but i have cheated my way through the class for 1 and half years, so it sucks. but i dont really care, it turns out to be pretty funny, some of the stuff i say makes no sense what so ever

Honda400exrox
01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Im usually good in speeches, cause in my school if you volunteer to go first, the tearcher gives you a better mark, its pretty sweet

derekhonda
01-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Just gotta get comfortable speaking and KNOW your material.

Ill bet you could get up and give a 20 minute speach on proper care of an atv, how to change oil, correct riding gear, how to ride/wheelie/jump, etc....all because its natural and you are comfortable with that subject matter.

Get comfortable with your presentation subject matter, then you ought to just practice it a couple times infront of family/friends, then you just gotta nut up and do it.

I love speaches and presentations.

Jake250ex
01-06-2006, 04:29 PM
The thing that sucks is I used to be great at it. My buddy and I in 8th grade wrote the dumbest one page long story that we had a week to work on in class one day in lunch right before it was due, made everyone laugh... Then one day in 9th grade something snapped and I have sucked ever since. Every time I looked up I just see all my peers sitting there with a blank face on their look staring right at me and its like wtf. why do I even have to do this. It just feels so akward. It doesnt matter whether I know what Im talking about or not, I just freeze up.

I wish there was some kind of remedy that would make you not care what people thought of you, life would be MUCH better :(

TRX_450
01-06-2006, 04:42 PM
at our skool its required to take a speech class......i hated it but i took it and it wasnt so bad..its alot easier when u know everybody else is goin thru the same thing...we did 3 speeches and the last one was an extempt...for the final...was worth 600 points....basicly u drew 3 packets...opened em and chose the one u wanted...id had 1-5 pages of info and u had 30 min to prepare a speech....i thot o god and went out and i when i was up i went in there and kicked major ***....everybody was laughin and it was awesome and i was so comfortable doin it...speeches are nuthin now....if i were u id enroll in a speech class...

01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
i do them in spanish but

i take public speaking and i do speeches all the time
idc whos in the audience im not afraid at all

Honda400exrox
01-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
The thing that sucks is I used to be great at it. My buddy and I in 8th grade wrote the dumbest one page long story that we had a week to work on in class one day in lunch right before it was due, made everyone laugh... Then one day in 9th grade something snapped and I have sucked ever since. Every time I looked up I just see all my peers sitting there with a blank face on their look staring right at me and its like wtf. why do I even have to do this. It just feels so akward. It doesnt matter whether I know what Im talking about or not, I just freeze up.

I wish there was some kind of remedy that would make you not care what people thought of you, life would be MUCH better :(

haha go smoke a doobie before your presentation that will make it a bit easier:blah:

redlineranger
01-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
yah wait till u get outta middle school or whatever.....that doesnt fly anymore

im out of middle school bro.... and at my school it does fly with some of the teachers..... the rest either dont give them, or your just screwed if you dont know it pretty much(thats me most of the time). class work is never really hard at my school its SAT's and CRT's and mid term and final exams that are hard(and the graduation exam, i've already took one part, and it was dam hard i passed by 2 points i think)

hell it shouldnt matter if you know it word for word, you presented it at least.

yamablaster24
01-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Im in speech now, actually gave a sales-talk speech on a video camera that can see under girls clothes yesterday. I do get nervous before a speech but one way to get rid of the nervousness is to make them laugh. That way you dont take anything serious and act like your talking with one of your friends. Once i have a huge make or break research Speech and I did nothing. I did the outline and biblio in class before previous speech about the 2006 Quad racing season. It needed to be 6 minutes long and fulllll of information. Either way i went up nervous as heck, little did i know my fly was down, this girl next to me missy is like Matt zip that up! Before turning red in front of everyone i say the first thing that comes to my head.... " dont be afraid of the beast" Everyone was cracking up and that eased all the nervousness. I did end up with about 5 and a half minutes after spilling out my guts on everything i knew abotu quads lol.

xc_racer1
01-06-2006, 10:45 PM
its pretty easy for me to get up in front of ppl just b/c im kinda the class clown. but just like think ur riding or somethin like that
something that ur comfortable with.. dont even think about the ppl
its alot easier that way

Scott-300ex
01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Just imagine yourself in your underwear.

Or wait, no, imagine them putting on your underwear?:huh

:confused:

Wutever it is.

Just take my attitude "F**k everybody else" don't worry about it, just get up there and be yourself and don't care. Don't dwell on it or you'll just mess yourself up more and be more scared about it.

Freshman year we had a class that was all about speaking so we had to give speeches all the time, just do somethin you know a lot about and just talk wut you know about it, when I explain somethin to someone or get asked for advice, I know wut I'm talkin about so you just tell them.

It really sucked when she had paper in a basket, you pick the slip out it said a word like government, or food, then you had to make a 3 minute speech on that with 1 minute of thinking time.

That blows.

Just practice it, which I never did, never studyed or anything but if your scared practice it a few times and get it real good then just go up there and do the underwear thing and you'll all be good.

FourFiftyFour
01-07-2006, 12:26 PM
its not so bad. Everyone else is nervous so everyone pretty much feels the same as you.. and most the time only half the class will be paying attention anyway. In my senior yr in High school I was in English IV AP and I had to give 2 1 hr long presentations........now talk about hard....but it aint that bad. I aced the presentation part :)

Scott-300ex
01-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by quad&dirtbike
i do them in spanish but

i take public speaking and i do speeches all the time
idc whos in the audience im not afraid at all

Even if Bill Clinton was there?:eek:

MotoX3
01-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah I used to be pretty uncomfortable with speeches. Had to take it 6-8th grade and one highschool year. Everyone said to do it as a frosh and get it over with, so thats what I did and I'm glad. Most of the kids in my class were juniors and seniors that weren't too smart and had waited until there last years to take the class. Our last speech was 12-15 minutes long.:eek2:

NacsMXer
01-07-2006, 05:34 PM
What i've noticed over the years is that when you're up giving a presentation and you get nervous, you think EVERYONE is watching your every move. This is really not the case if you take a little notice. Most of the time when other people are up giving presentations, i'm usually thinking about something else. I may listen on and off for a little bit but i'm not focused on every single person. It's even easier to notice this when you're up there giving your own presentation; a lot of people aren't even paying attention to you at all.

Just don't let other people get inside your head and you'll be fine :)

mrusk
01-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Make it funny and add some jokes. It helps keep the flow going. In hs i gave speeches in front of the whole school and kicked *** even though i have some what of a stuttering proablem. If you know your material you can do fine.

Scott-300ex
01-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Man, I was called to go to church so I went they're like "You gotta do this skit with us." It would be me and one other chick in front of like 15 8th graders, I'm like, "Ummmm.....ummmm.......no." So I called my friend who is in drama at school and he came up and did it.

This is 1 thing that im a pus at.

trick250r
01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
dont worry about it, just crack some jokes and stay calm, if you mess up, they wont remember.

01-16-2006, 04:33 PM
watch this guy http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5993667996999295092&q=guido

Scott-300ex
01-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Wow, that was worth every minute watchin that movie. Reminds me of me and my friends at the dance last night, then I requested Thunderkiss 65 and we headbanged for like 9 minutes straight to it.

That movie was awsome. Hahahaha.

Hondadudeehhhh
01-16-2006, 06:31 PM
i love giving presentations. I like being in front of people and making them laugh, normally when you make the class augh but get your point accross you will get a good grade. My best speaking is probably impromtu, i can make the most rediculous topic sound interesting. I would recomend taking a speech class (normally offered to sophmores) it will get you to quit doing the "ums and uhs" during presentations. My advice is go up there and act excited even though you and your classmates know what you are talking about is really dumb

Quad18star
01-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I used to hate giving speeches up until about grade 10 , mostly because I was shy ... but the shyness went away and I just didn't care what people thought . Now I enjoy giving speeches and I've taken what I've learned in highschool and college about speeches and used it in my job .

Few things that have helped me out with giving speeches to larger audiances would be ...

#1 When looking at the audiance , just kind of stare over the top of their heads . If you get nervous with eye contact from people , this really helps out . When you're at the front and someone is sitting 5 rows back , they'll never know you're staring over top of them ... they'll think you're making eye contact with them .

#2 In class be the first or second person to go up and give your presentation . Being one of the first doesn't allow the teacher to really judge your speech against others . I've scored pretty high on some presentations that should have been a lot lower mark compared to others but being one of the first really helped out .

#3 Know what you're talking about . Practice whatever you're going to say before you go up and do it . Makes life a lot easier .

#4 Don't read off the page . BORING !!!!! Make up a bunch of cue card with important info jotted down on them . Looks more prepared and professional .

#5 If you screw up who cares . Take a pause for 2 seconds .... think of how to correct it and do it .

Those are my helpfull tips ... hope they can help you out . :)

Scott-300ex
01-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I was always a kid who didn't care about other people or wut they thought, but I'm still nervous for stuff in front of a lot of people, unless its playin drums in marching band or on my set with my double-pedal, cuz I've done that cuz I'm good and I know wut I'm doing so that makes me not nervous.

Also, going first makes it easier on you cuz if you don't then all you do is dread goin up there and are scared your ganna have to go next.

chunky
01-17-2006, 08:36 PM
it kinda comes natural to me....it becomes alot easier if you dont just read what you have but know what your talking about incase you start to fumble through it, you can always fall back on your research....the kids in my class hate me cuz when i give presentations i dont even take note cards i just review it pretty well and remember it