PDA

View Full Version : First service 300ex?

john w.
01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I just bought my wife a 2006 300ex and last weekend we broke the engine in. My question is what happens at first service fluids and filters? What about the valves? The reason I ask is the honda dealer I bought it at wants $269 for the first service. I would rather do all the service myself like I do on my other bikes. I just dont know what to do on the first service and my shop manual has not arrived yet. Great site and thanks in advance.

TarheelRedRider
01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
No they dont adjust the valves. Just oil change spark plug. They are supposed to check they valves but most dont. I had a good friend that worked for honda so if it was me I would save the money buy a new pipe (with the money you save), two quarts of oil, filter and spark plug and do it myself.

john w.
01-05-2006, 06:45 PM
That is what I thought and the W/B pipe and header is on the way. Just need to figure out what filter to get. It is going to be in the sand alot.

TarheelRedRider
01-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I would use a kn with a outerwear skin.

drifterx
01-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by TarheelRedRider
I would use a kn with a outerwear skin.

john w.
01-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Should I check the valves or could I wait to the next service? It doesnt look to hard to do. Thanks for the replys

TarheelRedRider
01-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I would wait till 75 to 100 hours then check and adjust if needed.

kd5sfq
01-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy a Clymer manual for your quad. It shows how and when to service your quad as well as what tools you will need. It's easy to read and follow.

I have a theory... that you can buy a manual, all the tools you need to service a quad and still save money over what a dealer charges.

The theory doesn't apply to race porting, engine bore, shaving flywheels and the like though.

But for general maintence and repair work, I think it is a valid theory.

Valve checking isn't hard. They really should be checked after break in but few really do. It's rare for them to need adjusting. If the engine runs great I wouldn't worry about it personally.

TarheelRedRider
01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Dido, good advise.

300ex#5
01-06-2006, 11:43 AM
At the local Dealership where I live when i took it in for the first service they adjusted my valves and cleaned filters...etc. and it only costed my $100

bwamos
01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Our local dealership does the first service for free. (I use free loosley, obviously it's included in the margin of the selling price)

Checking the valves is simple. Honestly the hardest part is jacking with the stock plastic on the 300ex.

Get a clymers manual or a honda service manual. It will be your best friend. (looks like you aready ordered it.)

I'm probably preaching to the choir since you already have bikes.. but never hurts to be sure. ;)

Make sure you use Motorcycle oil that is safe for a wet clutch. Auto oil will make your clutch slip. I recomend Amsoil ATV 0w40 for stock quads. There are other good ones out there. Honda Lube is "ok", but way to expensive for what you are getting. For that money you can get something 100x better. They wont even publish the ratings on it if that says anyhting. Stay away from quaker state, penzoil, etc..

I replace the paper oil filter everytime I change the oil. It's cheap. I usually order like 10 of them and keep them in stock.

Always check your tire air pressure before riding. I like to run 5 psi for average riding front and rear.

May as well remove that rear cap and toolkit from the tube on the back of the 300exand put it in your toolbox. It will be long gone if you dont.. lol.

In my opinion, if you trail ride.. the first thing I'd put that saved money into is new tires. The stockers are very prone to flats. Get some good 4-plys that won't slick over in the mud. Razr2 front, Klaw Rear is always a good all around setup.

Pipe/filter is the best bang for the buck improvment on the 300ex. But you're wife may not want more noise or power.

After that shocks are worth looking into.

Great quad. You're wife should be pleased with it. Rock solid and dependable.

john w.
01-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the info. I always buy shop manuals because it just makes it easier to do repairs/service. I orderd one but figured I would take it in on the first service. But $269 that is crazy. I knew about the factory tires sucking also but I bought sand tires because that is where it will be ridden the most. Again thanks for all the info:)