PDA

View Full Version : close encounter of the furry kind

4punksdad
09-27-2001, 05:12 PM
Well, me and Bambi almost kissed @ 60+ mph. Last weekend, just before outrunning the coppers, I almost smacked a deer at full throttle 5th gear speeds.

Me and 2 buddies (warrior & raptor) were running down this paved (closed to the public) road. I gave them the nod & we all opened them up & held it there for a good 30 seconds..........I looked back to see where they were, and when I turned around I saw it!
Running across the road in front of me, no more than 5' from my bumper!
I had NO time to react, I never touched the brakes.........I just let off the fuel & listened to my heart pounding louder than the EX :o
I knew I had better slow it down & take it easy the rest of the ride.
My buddies saw the deer too, and they said, "man, that was close!" It scared the hell out of me........and that doesn't happen too often :D

its that time of year, be careful out there.

09-27-2001, 05:34 PM
I haven't had one that close, maybe 25' going across the trail. That would tend to get the ol' ticker running fast though. I'll keep my eyes open cause they are thick out here even around neighborhoods and industrial areas.
John

kc 300EX
09-27-2001, 05:42 PM
i dunno if i beat that, but i come close...........me and my friends were just screwin around in the woods, I did a Wheelie through some tall ferns/weeds.......i was 2 feet from lettin it down on top of a fawn...........I probly wouldnt have hurt my quad at all, but i know i woulda felt bad if i killed or injured a lil fawn

Nausty
09-27-2001, 10:20 PM
last summer me and my cousin were riding trails me on my 80 and him oh his kx100 and then we were chasing deer(stupid) but anyways the dear jumped over the end of his seat and he ran into a tree. We weren't go that fast though so when he hit he just bent the handle bars.

AlaskaSpeed
09-28-2001, 12:32 PM
Last weekend out at our local MX track, there was a black bear about 100 feet away from us; crossing the parking/unloading area. We all had shovels and rakes in our hands, getting ready to walk down to work on the track; but it was still a little scary. Black bears make grizzlies seem mild. JIM

kc 300EX
09-28-2001, 01:18 PM
Black bears make grizzlys seem mild? Are you sure thats not backwards????? There are lots of Black bears around here, they eat garbage, their not scary, but i would definetlyt be scared of a grizzly

inacoma91
09-28-2001, 01:38 PM
Well i came within 5-8 feet in hitting some deer. 3 of them were on my field. There is a blind corner and when i came around it there was a good sized doe and 2 bambis there. I wasnt going to fast luckily. Probably in 3rd gear puttin along...............

Andrew

"BLAHH"300!!
09-28-2001, 02:10 PM
-----what ever man

the grizzly 'll rip your head off while
the black ber just punches you in the nose
grizzly's are meaner and stronger than black ones.

but anyway--this isn't a quad story but it's one to tell

me and 3 other freinds where riding in trucks n a trail
by the MS. river the truck in front saw5 deer hanging out beside the trail and slid the *** end around to em' they jumped up --i was right behind him -tey jumped up and ran one was pegged out
streakin' and ended up in my passenger side window--a doe--
with onel eg in my truck-- the guy with me was looking eye to eye with it for a few feet untill i could get stopped and the deer could get it's feet in place to getback outa' the truck..
---kinda freaky--- an that beer didn't make a single stop going through our bodies either-----scared the piss outa us-----

all true
later

AlaskaSpeed
09-28-2001, 02:19 PM
The reason I said that about black bears making grizzlies seem mild is because the black bears are more likely to have human contact and they are more like "bullies" in that you HAVE to stand up to them if they charge you. Playing dead will not come close to working with a black bear. They will climb the trees after you too........JIM

kc 300EX
09-28-2001, 03:16 PM
i see your point about the bears...............funny story, once a long time ago, when we were in yellow stone, there was a lady in the phone booth with the door open, well, a big bear(i have no idea what kind) came up and stuck its head into the booth just sniffin around, it took a second for the lady to notice, but when she did she FLIPPED!, she startin SCREAMIN and she slammed the door on the bears head and was puttin all her weight against the door.......i think the bear was more freaked than her, all he wanted to do was get away, but he couldnt get his head out, he was shaking the booth up and down, and the lady was still; freakin, we were yellin to the girl to just open the door, but she was too hysterical........eventually the bear got out and took off, i bet she was freaked

09-28-2001, 05:01 PM
kc300ex,
That's too dog gone funny, thanks for the laugh.
Bet that lady wasn't laughing much.
John

Tommy 17
09-29-2001, 09:21 AM
Well today was the 1st day of archery and i got my buck today its a 6 point 15 inch spread nice size deer not to bad for my first buck wit a bow... i got it nice and early today 15 mins into the season haha i love it when that happens i was out of the woods by 8:30 it don't get anybetter then that bc now i can ride today too. any body else get a deer today...

trueblue450
09-29-2001, 12:31 PM
I think this beats yah guys.

My friend(Matt = 300EX), his cousin(Brad= Warrior) and me (Dustin =300EX) were gravel traveling, and the sun was just setting. Brad on his warrior took off ahead of us(dang that 6th gear). Anyways all of a sudden me and matt see a deer in the ditch, and it jumped out and acually jumped ontop of Brad and his fourwheeler. Brad flew into the ditch, and the deer was stuck on his wheeler kicking him. It was scary as hell, but some how the deer was alright and got off and ran away, as for Brad he had some bad gashes and the wheeler had some cracked plastic. Now that he looks on it he laughs about it, but that would scare the crap out of me.

4punksdad
09-29-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 300EX_Man
I think this beats yah guys.

My friend(Matt = 300EX), his cousin(Brad= Warrior) and me (Dustin =300EX) were gravel traveling, and the sun was just setting. Brad on his warrior took off ahead of us(dang that 6th gear). Anyways all of a sudden me and matt see a deer in the ditch, and it jumped out and acually jumped ontop of Brad and his fourwheeler. Brad flew into the ditch, and the deer was stuck on his wheeler kicking him. It was scary as hell, but some how the deer was alright and got off and ran away, as for Brad he had some bad gashes and the wheeler had some cracked plastic. Now that he looks on it he laughs about it, but that would scare the crap out of me.

wrong thread........this is "close encounter w/furry kind"
you were looking for "direct hit with furry kind" :o

Nausty
10-01-2001, 07:41 PM
ok kinda stupid but still funny. My parents and I were going to colorado a while back to see my brother and in colorado we saw a pheasant or a turkey or something crossing the road and my dad hit the brakes and stopped 10 feet in front of it. The bird stopped, looked at the truck, ficies flew one direction and the turkey the other.

Pappy
06-23-2003, 08:32 AM
:)

wyndzer
06-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Uh hello, return of the old posts?

4punksdad
06-23-2003, 09:47 AM
wow..I thought I was having flashbacks again:uhoh:

Rip_Tear
06-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Again Pappy! I remember reading these posts even! And I wasn't even registered, I used to just browse though....

Scott-300ex
06-23-2003, 04:39 PM
same thing with me, i would get on here all the time just to read, i don't know why i never registered cause i was always on here. but i do even remember this post, and the title didn't seem that long ago, but the actuall post seemed a little longer ago

now after about a little less than a year break from here i finally registered

lol

good times

Scott-300ex
06-23-2003, 04:40 PM
who ever would have known that 2 years later i would be replying to this post?

:blah::p

4punksdad
06-23-2003, 11:15 PM
glad my 4-wheeling escapades provided fun for the whole family :D

hondafox440
06-24-2003, 03:45 AM
Yea, but you never finished the story about running from the cops.. lol.

06-24-2003, 11:51 AM
wow, this is an old thread

4punksdad
06-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Yea, but you never finished the story about running from the cops.. lol.

which time?

JOEX
06-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Well just today I almost landed on a dog after hitting a jump (the dog isn't too bright), a little while later I ran over a rabbit on the track. I'm not sure if I hit it with the tire though, didn't find it. Then on the way home in my truck, a cat ran out in front of me,.....WHACK..... don't think that one made it:(

I feel like a bad person:ermm:

Joe

Kilabanshee
06-24-2003, 04:13 PM
Hit a groundhog going about 70 was like a big speed bump.

400exrules
06-25-2003, 01:04 PM
:huh

Kilabanshee
06-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Yeah it wasnot that pretty because blood flew all over me and my quad not a good fealing. I really felt sorry for the groundhog but theres no way iam swerving or slowing down real fast to avoid him. Well i hit the hog first then my friend on his z-400 was right behind he thought the hog was dead but he was really still alive. He stuck up his head to see what was coming and bumf off goes the head.

Scott-300ex
06-26-2003, 11:58 AM
whats the site for them avatars?, i want to find one for ^^

lol, that sucks bad:ermm:

07-03-2003, 06:21 PM
I was riding, about 50mph. I look to my right then back forward and a bird was flying straight for my helmet. If I hadn't ducked he would have smashed into my goggles.

660LE
07-12-2003, 06:35 AM
i was coming home late one evening from bowhunting some blakc bears. never did et a shot. but on the trail home we were on the 4x4 450 an in the path is a coyote an i give it an bam, i take him out an that its for mr coyote. and on the raptor a few nights ago i ran down a rabbit, never killed him, jsut scared the s*** out of the furry tailed little guy/

ryanh250ex
07-26-2003, 09:20 AM
back when my dad had a BMW 740iL he once hit a possum in the middle of the road and the whole front end shook :huh :huh