PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Setup

adrenalinefreak
01-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey guys/gals:

I am trying to put together a parts list for my 400ex..

I am looking at getting:

Houser Swingarm +1.25
Houser A-arms: Long travel red gloss
Houser Steering Stem +2 red Gloss
Maybe Ishocks:i5500
ITP Holeshot HD's Front and Rear...

Was wondering what you guys think...what would you recommend...I actually get a pretty good deal on most parts because of who I work for so now I am looking to setup my quad...

what do you guiys think the best setup would be...I ride both dunes and trails..I'll be competing in Worcs Series throughout 2006....?

04TRX400EX
01-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Sounds like a pretty good plan, Houser makes good stuff. Only thing I would reconsider would be the shocks. I've heard some good things about the iShocks but for the money, it would be worth spending some extra cash and getting some Elkas. Whether you get standard Rec Series, or go for some piggyback Race Series, I think you're getting a better shock, plus it would be custom built for you, your quad, and your riding conditions. If you really have some $ to spend, even better (or equal depending on what Elkas) are Custom Axis.

coryatver
01-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Don't get Ishocks. Get shocks set up for you.

TBD
01-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
Don't get Ishocks. Get shocks set up for you.
What do you base this on? Poor quality? Takes a long time to get them? Do they have set up problems?

04TRX400EX, These same questions are for you.

I see a lot of don't buy this or that without any explanation at all why not to. Have you guys ever ridden Ishock? I would really like to know why.

tuefelhunden
01-05-2006, 08:02 AM
I thought ishoks only were sold as a complete suspension with arms and everything? I would also talk to Houser and go with what they recommend.

TBD
01-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by tuefelhunden
I thought ishoks only were sold as a complete suspension with arms and everything? I would also talk to Houser and go with what they recommend.
You can purchase any of the parts seperatelly.

adrenalinefreak
01-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I would like to say that I have loads of money to spend but this is not the case..the only light I am seeing is because I just started working for the first time in a year and it's at a powersports store/dealer and I get pretty good prices...

I'm pretty sure on the houser...the other company/stye I am considering is Lonestar Racing...I've been told at least on the steering stem....or dura bue, but might just go with Houser so my a-arms, swingarm, and stem will match...I'm going with the Gloss red setup...

As for the ishocks....I'm not sure what to do...again I will get a discount on them, but if they're not that good then I'll just put off on the shocks and wait until I can afford the better shocks....what do you guys think?

And you can buy each part of the ishock system seperately...cause we sell them...

Ohh..and is it hard to mount new tires? Or should I just find someone to put them on for me when I get them?

I forgot one other thing I was looking at so far from tucker rocky is the hotcams stage 2...any input or feedback on the hotcams? What exact benefits will I see and are they worth it? They actually aren't that expensive considering everything else...

TBD
01-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by adrenalinefreak
I would like to say that I have loads of money to spend but this is not the case..the only light I am seeing is because I just started working for the first time in a year and it's at a powersports store/dealer and I get pretty good prices...

I'm pretty sure on the houser...the other company/stye I am considering is Lonestar Racing...I've been told at least on the steering stem....or dura bue, but might just go with Houser so my a-arms, swingarm, and stem will match...I'm going with the Gloss red setup...

As for the ishocks....I'm not sure what to do...again I will get a discount on them, but if they're not that good then I'll just put off on the shocks and wait until I can afford the better shocks....what do you guys think?

And you can buy each part of the ishock system seperately...cause we sell them...

Ohh..and is it hard to mount new tires? Or should I just find someone to put them on for me when I get them?

I forgot one other thing I was looking at so far from tucker rocky is the hotcams stage 2...any input or feedback on the hotcams? What exact benefits will I see and are they worth it? They actually aren't that expensive considering everything else...
Who says that the Ishocks shocks aren't that good? Is it because they don't have the killer look that Elka has? Is it because they are fairlly new?
If you've never mounted tires then have someonelse do it. They are not that difficult but I'm getting the impression that working and installing parts on your quad is not your fortay.

adrenalinefreak
01-05-2006, 09:10 AM
TBD...I'm not sure out Ishocks...just kind of seeing what everyone else has to say...so far I've heard good things about them...I'm looking at the i5500 setup...

As for setting up my quad and working on it myself...I am learning. I am definitely not a mechanic. So far I've put on or helped put on my aftermarket parts, but as far as the shocks and stuff go...not sure if I would want to do that myself....probably get someone else to help me...that goes for the a-arms...steering stem, and swingarm....

Does anyone actually have or know someone who has the ishocks setup? I'll probably end up getting them unless some other better opp goes along..like elka, but I don't see that happening...plus they are a good deal and I get a nice deal on top of that...

Thanks for the input...more is definitely welcome!!

TBD
01-05-2006, 10:20 AM
You keep mentioning waiting to get a better shock, "Elka" when you have more money. Why do you think Elka is better? Again, is it the estetic appearance of the shock? Is it that it seems like everyone assumes that there a killer shock?
Here are somethings to think about with Elka:
Why is it that almost all pros that run them or any seriuos rider have them set up by someone other then Elka?
Why is it that you see a lot of Elkas with bad seal heads (leaking oil)?
I have had quite a bit of exprience with Elkas. Every set that I have ridden from Elka work better after they have been set up by someone else.
I'm not saying that you should buy Ishocks. I'm just saying that what you read in the mags, the estetic appearance or the pros that run them doesn't mean that it's a better shock. Please keep a open mind.
Another shock that I would recomend that you consider would be TCS.
One more thing to remember about Ishock is the 100% money back gaurantee.
Like I said before, try to keep an open mind.

R3Concepts
01-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by TBD
You keep mentioning waiting to get a better shock, "Elka" when you have more money. Why do you think Elka is better? Again, is it the estetic appearance of the shock? Is it that it seems like everyone assumes that there a killer shock?
Here are somethings to think about with Elka:
Why is it that almost all pros that run them or any seriuos rider have them set up by someone other then Elka?
Why is it that you see a lot of Elkas with bad seal heads (leaking oil)?
I have had quite a bit of exprience with Elkas. Every set that I have ridden from Elka work better after they have been set up by someone else.
I'm not saying that you should buy Ishocks. I'm just saying that what you read in the mags, the estetic appearance or the pros that run them doesn't mean that it's a better shock. Please keep a open mind.
Another shock that I would recomend that you consider would be TCS.
One more thing to remember about Ishock is the 100% money back gaurantee.
Like I said before, try to keep an open mind.

Lets not forget Elkas springs breaking. TBD knows a lot about suspension. If you have been at this awhile you would know what TBD stands for.

Side note for TBD: When I was younger, and Sand Sports had just come out, I saw a 250R that had all TB components on it. Man, I looked at that 250R everyday for years, thats all I wanted.

TBD
01-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks, R3Concepts. Now you have me wondering which one it was.

R3Concepts
01-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I remember it was a green stock frame, black plastic, 2 Ricky Stator lights, on the bars. Had a full set of sand tires on it.

adrenalinefreak
01-05-2006, 07:26 PM
I have a complete open mind..no worries there...

that is part of the main reason I came on here...to see what others had to say about different setups...

hey what do you guys have to say about the hotcams stage 2 for the 400ex?

I'm not sure what I am going to get first...it will probably be a part a time or paycheck....maybe go with tires first...since I still have stock!

straw sucker
01-05-2006, 07:48 PM
well those shocks that start with a M are susposed to be the best shock.

Fasteryfz
01-06-2006, 05:01 AM
I have a Houser +2 swingarm (red) that I will sell you for cheap. It is in perfect shape.

MD450r
01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
With the Ishock shocks, ive never read any where that they set up shocks for long travel a arms and you list that your getting long travel housers. The shocks that they sell may be a length that will not work correctly with long travel a arms or even extended width standard travel a arms. You should probably call Ishock to see if there shocks are compadible.

adrenalinefreak
01-06-2006, 08:40 PM
MD450R....

Completely understood...if I go with the Ishocks they come with a-arms..it's a complete front end suspension package (unless you buy the parts seperately)...

As you can tell I haven't completely decided...

FASTERYFZ...

I get a pretty good discount on the parts so I guess it would depend on how much you are selling it for? Let me know...

400exMO
01-06-2006, 11:03 PM
I would call Ishock and ask if they make long tralve compatible with houser. Ask how long eye to eye it would be, and call elka and ask the same question, as well as houser. I'm pretty sure Ishock but they're shocks to be compatible with they're aarms, but they might be interchangable. My personal oppinion is, if you're spending that much money on all the other components you need to spend the money for the "nicer" shock. But if I shock can accomidate to the houser specs and you can get a deal, you might be able to influence others to switch to I shock.

adrenalinefreak
01-06-2006, 11:43 PM
we'll see...what I might do is this...

Ishocks complete front suspension (i5500)
Houser Steering Stem +2 (red gloss)
Houser Swingarm +1.25 (red gloss)
Holeshot HD Front/Rear Tires
GPR Stabilizer
Probably Pro Taper Bars (Fatty)

Those will probably be some of the first things I do...a paycheck at a time...on top of paying bills...

balls2da-wall
01-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Reason I wouldnt purchase IShocks is because they are "cookie-cutter" shocks. I want my shocks set-up EXACTLY for what I do...for example when I sent my order to "a shock company to be unknown" I had to send the following info.

a-arms type: +1 Lonestar
travel: Standard
Weight: 150lbs.
riding type: Cross Country Racing
Level: B-Class

Also I shocks dont have Low speed/High speed compression on there top model.

TBD
01-09-2006, 07:40 AM
First of all Ishock at this time are working on "LT" stuff. They probablly won't be available for another couple of months.
As for "cookie cutter shocks", first of all they offer a 100% satisfaction gaurantee and second if you don't like the feel of the shock they will revalve and spring for your needs.
Low and Hi speed adjustments are also on the way.
Ishock could release stuff quicker but they like to do lots of testing and data aquasition work to get solid set ups which takes time.

Pappy
01-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
Reason I wouldnt purchase IShocks is because they are "cookie-cutter" shocks. I want my shocks set-up EXACTLY for what I do...for example when I sent my order to "a shock company to be unknown" I had to send the following info.

a-arms type: +1 Lonestar
travel: Standard
Weight: 150lbs.
riding type: Cross Country Racing
Level: B-Class

Also I shocks dont have Low speed/High speed compression on there top model.

unless you have a builder order your shocks and have them set the shock up, your going to get baseline specs based on your details. riding a set of shocks after a builder does them is a different expierence over just ordering from brand xyz. pep, acxis then elka is how i would rate from the manufacture set up ride quality.

ive been listening to the few i know of that have purchased the i-shock package and so far i havent heard anything bad at all. id love to get a set up in here to actually ride on.

balls2da-wall
01-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Alright well who should I have my shocks bought through to have them set up right?

And by setup do you mean how they are adjusted?

Because ive never owned a pair of shocks that I just jump on and am satisfied with. It usually takes me about a month to get them to where they fit me.

Pappy
01-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
Alright well who should I have my shocks bought through to have them set up right?

And by setup do you mean how they are adjusted?

Because ive never owned a pair of shocks that I just jump on and am satisfied with. It usually takes me about a month to get them to where they fit me.

id check out precision concepts, gt thunder or derisi. you will need to call them, explain that you want them to "build" your new shocks. make some calls, do some asking and make your decision based on who you feel provides you with the best answers and fits the requirements you feel are important.

adrenalinefreak
01-09-2006, 11:28 PM
I just read in another thread about TCS...what do you guys think about them and their shocks?

I know they already asked this question in the other thread but it also helps this thread..so which would you recommend...Ishocks or TCS? I am looking for the inexpensive solution for my front end suspension.

Thanks Guys!!

adrenalinefreak
01-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I forgot...

What about between ITP Holeshot HD's or Maxxis Razr2? I ride trails and sometimes they tend to be pretty gnarly and rugged...I had to get another stock front right tire because I ripped a hole in the side wall..or I should say a rock ripped the hole in the sidewall....

Just wondering what tires you guys would recommend?

Fasteryfz
01-10-2006, 04:13 AM
I would go with Maxxis Irazr tires. I rode my friends z400 with Irazr's and those things grip on everything. I have razr 2's on my yfz and they're great but I'm switching soon. If you ever go to a Gncc you'll see that most riders are using those tires and for good reason.

adrenalinefreak
01-10-2006, 08:23 AM
I will also be racing Worcs this year so would those tires be good for that type of racing? If not which tires would you guys recommend?

I definitely like the Razr's, but I want to get the best tire possible and one that will last.