PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Tether Killswitch ***ASAP***

Seano300ex
01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey guys i was thinkin about doing the district 7 at budds creek this sunday and i was wondering how to hook up a Tether Killswitch to a 300ex. I already did a search but i didn't find any info. Also i was wondering if you guys kno if i need certain numbers, or what number plate color i need, etc... for the race.Thanks for any feedback:devil:

bcmx8
01-04-2006, 06:22 PM
i think u have to have a white backround with black numbers, that wht they told me but you can buy that stuff there. what class are you racing??

dork
01-04-2006, 09:09 PM
if its a normally open switch, then take one wire and tap into the black/yellow wire that goes to the coil, and the other wire goes to ground.

Seano300ex
01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I think its just one big class from what ive heard but if its a b and c then ill probally be in c or b cause i got a 300ex. but do you guys got any more info on how to hook up a tether.thanks alot:D

bwamos
01-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Splice one wire into the power wire leading to the coil. Connect the other to frame ground. WHen the tether is pulled it shorts the circuit and doesn't let your spark plug fire.

ram air
01-06-2006, 09:02 AM
just buy a gunnar tether, it tells you what wires to splice toghter. much eaiser than most:)

reconmaster
01-06-2006, 12:04 PM
i got a backwards relay cvause most tethers that arn't an arm and a leg rely on the old style kickstart ignitions

bwamos
01-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by reconmaster
i got a backwards relay cvause most tethers that arn't an arm and a leg rely on the old style kickstart ignitions

ehh?

The kill switch has nothing to do with the starting mechanism.

You just ground out the coil power wire when the kill is triggered. Doesn't matter what ignition module you have. You just cut off the coils 12v supply, and whala no spark. ;) The kill switch has a resistor built into it so you dont blow anything.

kd5sfq
01-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd like to add that a quality kill switch is worth the extra money. Cheap ones will fail by shorting the contacts together. I've seen many racers trying in vain to start a quad with a faulty kill switch.

I think Pro Design makes one of the most reliable kill switches on the market.

Here is a link to an article on installing one. Pictures an all...

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/products/ProDesign/

zeppelin
01-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ram air
just buy a gunnar tether, it tells you what wires to splice toghter. much eaiser than most:)
i've never had a gunnar so i cant say for sure, but every other killswitch i have wired for the 300 came with the wrong directions, the ones mention above are correct though and buy the coil do you guys mean the black box on the right side of the frame, i though that was the cdi, but anyway that where ivve always cut into mine

dork
01-08-2006, 10:33 PM
the coil's on the left side above the head, trace the spark plug wire back to it. there's 2 wires going to it, a black yellow(power) and a green wire(ground). tap into the black yellow wire and ground the other one and you're done. but on some kickstart models like a 250x, you can just plug into the 2 wires for the key switch, no splicing required.