PDA

View Full Version : taking apart shocks

TRX_450
01-04-2006, 05:58 PM
i wanna take apart my new shocks to repaint the springs and polish the actual shocks.....i need hlep as far as takin em apart...never done it b4...any help would be appreciated

prepracing
01-04-2006, 06:40 PM
1st step = tell us what kind of shocks you have

TRX_450
01-04-2006, 06:56 PM
o..lol sorry dude....there works triples rates wit remote rezzies off a 250r ima put on my 400ex

F-16Guy
01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Mark where the preload is and then back it all the way off. Set the shock down top-down, compress the spring and remove the spring collar at the bottom of the shock (shaft end) by sliding it up and off the shaft. Make sure to keep track of how the springs and crossovers came off.

TRX_450
01-04-2006, 08:19 PM
thanx man but some of the parts confused me...anybody got pics??

prepracing
01-04-2006, 08:47 PM
on your works....on the top of the shock there is a c-clip looking snap ring type deal that holds down yuour springs. You want to mark what slot the clip is in or just count from the top to see what number slot its in ( so you can get them back exactly like they were ). Then you need to compress your shocks to get the tension off that clip so you can move it to the top of the shock, this will let all the tension off your springs so you can take them apart. Then at the bottom of the shock there is a plate that the springs set on, you can take a mallet and peck on this plate towards the top of the shock about 1inch, this will take it off the bottom shock bolt hole. Then it will just slide off the shaft. Now you can pull your springs and spacers off.......BUT make sure you remember the order they go back on. Good Luck

kd5sfq
01-05-2006, 06:47 AM
You do know that paint will most likely peel off the powder coated springs don't you? Powder coat is flexible and paint isn't.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-05-2006, 08:30 AM
You can not polish the body on that shock it is a coated steel body.