PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting the TRX450R

anjyl_99
01-04-2006, 02:34 PM
So, it's between the trx450r and the yfz450r. Personally I like the looks MUCH more on the honda but what about everything else? I definately want it to be fast, but all mods aside which is better? Please help!!

01-04-2006, 02:52 PM
if you like breaking down in the middle of rides and constantly working on your bike to barely keep it running then get a yamaha. Other wise get the honda. I personally like to ride my quad more then I work on it

Pappy
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
if you like breaking down in the middle of rides and constantly working on your bike to barely keep it running then get a yamaha. Other wise get the honda. I personally like to ride my quad more then I work on it

proof brains are needed for intelligence.

it will come down to what quad fits you and your riding style better. the quality is about even between the two no matter how many people with limited time on both quads want to say one brand is better built then the other. we have over 100 hours on a stock yfz and the only 2 failures were a cracked swing arm and wire that broke due to it being pinched between a fender bracket. (that was our fault)

i own a 450r, have owned a YFZ, and will be buying a YFZ again.

anjyl_99
01-04-2006, 03:04 PM
yes, maintenance is an issue. I am a chick and know NOTHING about fixing a quad so I will have to pay a shop to do just about anything, unless of course I find the right guy I can bat my eyelashes at to fix it for me ;)

Pappy
01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
finding a willing participant will be no problem if you ride. maintence is the same as it is with most high performance quads. both have thier quirks, and each machine will require the same basics that are easily learned no matter if you are female or not.

in your described situation, i would suggest finding a local dealer that has a good reputation and make a possible decision based on that.

01-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
it will come down to what quad fits you and your riding style better. the quality is about even between the two no matter how many people with limited time on both quads want to say one brand is better built then the other. we have over 100 hours on a stock yfz and the only 2 failures were a cracked swing arm and wire that broke due to it being pinched between a fender bracket. (that was our fault)

i agree, lets set manufacturers aside, both bikes are fairly equal in hp, but the yfz is def more peaky in the power band, and the seat is a bit stiff, and everything is way 2 close for me

before i bought my R i had my mind set on getting a yfz, then when i sat on 1 in person, it changed my mind in an instant, the R is way more comfortable and i like it much better

choose the quad you feel the most confident on, and go with it :macho

supradean
01-04-2006, 03:41 PM
from personal experience i would only go honda.
I ride with a good deal of people and of the "2" yzfs in the crowd they have broken more then 5 times between the both of them. There are "4" 450s and not one has left us stranded aside from a broken chain on a hillclimb nobody in their right mind had business attempting.
Honda quality is unmatched by any other companies.....Its proven time and time again.
The YZF is more of a race quad and also had a far less more comfortable ride and unfrinedly novice rider power band.
Honda is more friendly overall and the power will be more thne you will ever need. The decision is obvious if you ask my opinion.

Pappy
01-04-2006, 03:52 PM
i felt the way most honda folks do, and i chose to sell my YFZ off and keep my R. that was a mistake in alot of ways for me, but a positive in others. the 06 YFZ will be my next purchase.

and as far as quality goes, someone will have to point out the differences because i cant seem to find many differences at all. they will all break, infact i know of 3 or 4 450Rs down now with major issues. it can go both ways and i dont support one over the other in most circumstances. but outright calling it junk is not an accurate statement.

as far as comfort, the 06 YFZ seat is much better, and its will come down to what quad you feel best on. i felt 10 times more confident on the YFZ then i did on my R.

bad01300ex
01-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Pappy knows what he is talking about. So many people are just like "honda honda honda honda", ok i will admit sometimes hondas do seem to hold up better, but like pappy said there are plenty of things to go wrong on both of them. If you are keeping your oil changed and other rutine maintinence then you shouldnt have a problem. I am a smaller rider and the YFZ feels better for me, i have sat on a R and ridden one once for like 1 min, and the YFZ feels more comfortable.

If you are smaller i would say go with a YFZ, but be prepared for some pretty peppy power:devil:

if you are asking in the "450r" section, your going to get a pretty baised answer, go over to www.yfzcentral.com, and see what those guys think about a honda;)

01-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
proof brains are needed for intelligence.
quit beating around the bush and just tell me im stupid. i dont care :blah: but anyways, I have ridden with 3 different yamahas through some rough XC trails and each one of the owners wished they didnt have the YFZ450's. each regretted there decision in buying one and each had problems when we rode that began when we rode. the problem two of them had was with the Estart not working and having to be jump started everytime and the batteries were pretty much new. That right there kinda ruined the ride. And the other guys problem was overheating but the honda has these too but not when we were riding and mine doesnt. I dont baby mine at all and take care of it maybe just a little batter than the average person and mine runs perfect. I would reccommend a honda. all of them thought it was uncomfortable on the trails. MX on the YFZ's may be a different story though., ive heard alot of people like the YFZ's for MX and the 450r's for XC. thats just the norm usually

Pappy
01-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
MX on the YFZ's may be a different story though., ive heard alot of people like the YFZ's for MX and the 450r's for XC. thats just the norm usually

i reckon you could ask Bill Ballance, Dave Simmons, Lazurus Sommers, Brandon Sommers, Brandon Ballance and quite a few others that won non stop on thier YFZ's in the GNCC series.

i dont think your stupid, but your first reply is what i would expect from a kid who has very little understanding of anything besides mine is better then yours.

the electrical issues with the YFZ are well known and it is an issue but easily fixed. the new 450r has some gremlins of its own, but i reckon you have already tested and ripped into an 06 so im just repeating what you know right:blah: