PDA

View Full Version : 450 runing hot HELP!!!

Munno#37
01-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Ok i just had my 450r ported. I have the stock piston in and its piped and jetted... now the problem iam having is , i ride it for like an hour,shut it off and i can hear the radiator bubble!!! Keep in mind the heat light is not coming on the bike is just runing hot... ANY idea's Should i try race gas????

Munno#37
01-04-2006, 12:07 PM
ANY Ideas???

MR.BIG
01-04-2006, 12:34 PM
What compression piston are you running?

Munno#37
01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Stock... I just rememberd that i had my key switch unpluged and that controls the fan and the heat light, and alot of others... Hopefully my problem is fixed........

01-04-2006, 01:16 PM
If you want to leave the key switch off, connect the red and black wires together and all the accessories will work again.

Munno#37
01-04-2006, 01:33 PM
so do yu think that was why my bike was runing hot???? cause the fan wasnt working?

yamablaster24
01-04-2006, 01:48 PM
i rode my 06 for 3 hours straight without fan coming on...in fact it has never came on.

01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Munno#37
so do yu think that was why my bike was runing hot???? cause the fan wasnt working?

you have the exact same problem as i do, check out my thread for more information, i believe they have a problem from the factory with some of them, because i have done nothing to my bike to make it do this, check out my thread...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201465

hopefully we both get it fixed :macho

Munno#37
01-04-2006, 03:18 PM
my fan and everything was unpluged.... It just didnt stop working and plus my brake light and everything works......

XChondaracer450
01-07-2006, 11:01 PM
the temp light sensors are going bad on them ...mine did the same thing and if that doesnt help use engine ice coolant helps out big time or u could go big and buy an oversized radiator and take the whole fan assembly off bcuz it holds an extra gallon

walsh450r9
01-14-2006, 03:17 PM
The best thing to do is ground the fan so that it is running the whole time the bike is running and if u dont know how to do it email me and i will send pics

QuadRacer041
01-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
i rode my 06 for 3 hours straight without fan coming on...in fact it has never came on.

fan on my 06 has never come on either, i just grounded it out the other day to make sure it worked, i guess it just hasnt needed to come on yet.

TRXDresh
01-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Guys, Honda did not engineer the system for the fan to run all the time for a reason. When you design a system such as a cooling system on the 450r, they design it for a duty cycle. This duty cycle is determined by looking at the way people ride the ATV, and taking an average of all these different uses. They then design and test the components based on this duty cycle to validate the system. The electric fan is designed to come on intermittently. If you run the fan all the time, you will burn it up. If you don't mind buying new fans every couple of months, then I say go ahead and do it. I have been told that Chris Borich wires his bike this way, but you also have to realize he gets new stuff on a regular basis. He is not concerned with making his quad components run for a whole season. When it comes down to it, the design engineers and system engineers design everything for a reason. Sure, Honda could make everything on the ATV so bulletproof that it lasts forever, but then they would loose money on service parts. Bottom line is that if you try to make the bike do something that it is not made to do, it is only going to cause problems. Not to mention, that electric power is coming from somewhere. There is a possibility (not saying this is a fact) that you are loosing some efficiency when the fan is on. With that fan on at all times, you are putting a strain on the entire electrical system. Just my 2 cents.

walsh450r9
01-20-2006, 01:50 PM
My fan has been ground down for awhile now basically since i had the bike and a few other friends bikes are done the same way, havent had problems with it yet even when i put the crf wiring harness on my bike its hasnt burnt up. just thought i would add that along