PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Shock on 300ex

fastex91
01-04-2006, 11:25 AM
I know this subject has about a hundred threads, but wait. All I've read is that a 2001 shock is the only one that will work. Well, now that depends. We don't run an air box lid, so that means we don't need the frame tube that goes to the air box. I had the one on the left side cut off right at the shock mount, and it is a beautiful fit.:D We've got an '04 shock and it fit great. I just don't see why no one else done this? You're not hurting the intergrety or strangth of the frame by cutting that tube off. It's also not against the rules for the youth production class either. So as long as you're not too up tight about cutting a little fat off the frame, any raptor rear shock should fit.

Sjorge450R
01-04-2006, 01:10 PM
yeah, but not alot of people like to run there quads without air boxes. also not too many people will just start cutting pieces off of there frame. but if you dont mind doing those two things then yes, the other shocks will fit.

SidewaysSam
01-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I have an 01 shock on mine and it took me forever to figure out a place for the rezzie to go. Since you have an 04 did it fit in a better place?

Sjorge450R
01-04-2006, 02:17 PM
the 04 only works if you dont run an airbox. Otherwise, it wont clear the air box.

TarheelRedRider
01-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Unless you you just build a custom airbox like I did. 40 bucks you can build a custom sheet metal box.

fastex91
01-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Actually I do run the air box. I just removed the frame tube on the left side that goes to the air box. An '04 shock is a piggy back and not a rezzie. That's why removing the tube on the frame. It takes all of 2 minutes to cut it off, grind it smooth and paint or powder coat. Well worth the work for a new shock that is rebuildable, and not $750. Normlly I would spend the money, but with 2 of my kids racing now money is a lot tighter. Poor people have poor ways!

TarheelRedRider
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Dont feel bad, I couldn't just go out and buy a new atv so decided to just build my own. Worked out pretty good because it looks better then a new one with all the mods I want and only have bout 1600.00 in it. Only thing now I cant stop changing and modding it. Has become a sickness my wife says.