PDA

View Full Version : 06 Airbox on early model 450R's??

joe1l
01-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Has anyone tried using an 06 airbox on a 04 or 05 450r to take advantage of the larger airfilter setup?? If so what was involved??
Well here are my thoughts on the subject. Seeing that the 2006 has quite a bit larger airfilter setup than the 04 or 05, i was wondering how it work on the older models. From my understanding, not only is the body of the airfilter bigger but so is the opening of the airfilter, something like 150% bigger which is the main reason i'm looking into this upgrade. To my knowledge the airbox itself will bolt up just fine, but the airboot that goes from the carb to the air box will only work with a FCR carb without the Billet bell on it like this one (http://www.nossmachine.com/honda_quad_parts.htm) Anyhow I've seen the airbox setups for as little as $60. So I figured it might be worth a try.
Does anyone here have the measurements of the inside diamater of an 06 airfilter??

chad502ex
01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
hey joe.

i believe all you say is true.

the 06 setup is bigger and does flow more volume. The only complication that i know of with this is that the 06 setup is angled more than the 04/05 setup so installation of the carb and intake up to the head could be angled more than the head port flange permits.

But i've heard a few testing this mod already with success.

hope this helps.

chad

TRX250R87
01-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Not really related, but I modified my '05 airbox so that I could use all my old 250R air filters, which are also larger in diameter. I'm not sure if I gained or lost any power though?
ERIC

joe1l
01-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Its quite sad but my 250R airfilters are much larger than the my 450R filters. The one thing i'm hoping to achieve is by using the larger airfilter with the new intake setup is from the venturi design of the tube should help increase airspeed just as it did with the 250r. It currentnly has a venturi design but it would be even more dramatic a design with the 06 airbox setup. Not to mention that I'm running a big bore now with bigger valves, therefore more air really can't hurt me!