PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Sparks or White Brothers?? Anyone have either one?

YLW400
07-03-2002, 01:52 PM
I have been doing some reading, it seems as if these are the two best pipes....power wise. If anyone has either of these, give me some details if you would. Sound, price.....how to get a hold of a Sparks pipe, etc. Thanks in advance

kabd69667
07-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Deffently the sparks. Thats what i have and i love it. It sounds great, deep loud, four stroke sound. Go to www.sparksracing.com to get one. Your probably lookin around $450 or $475

YLW400
07-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Man they are expensive!!

JhallettEX
07-03-2002, 03:28 PM
Sparks all the way, the above price is for the complete system, cheaper than alot others and it IS the best you can get. Do it right the first time. Give C&D Racing a call talk to Colby 308-696-7805 they are now a Sparks dealer.

wheeltrax
07-03-2002, 03:55 PM
I have the white bros e series. It adds a good share of power, plus sounds awesome. just my .02

JhallettEX
07-03-2002, 06:31 PM
I HAD the WB, it is now sold and I am waiting on the Sparks.

Smoker
07-03-2002, 09:03 PM
As with any part you put on your bike, it depends on what type of riding you do and what type of rider you are. If you burn every gear to the ground and like high RPM's, a free flowing exhaust is the answer = Sparks. If you like a smoother riding style, an all around exhaust like the White Bros. is probably a better answer. JhallettEX, no offense brother but you can push C&D's products without being a whore about it. Advertise prices if they want to pull business because that has been Marcums angle all along. I don't care who I do business with as long as I'm not wasting money doing it. :p

Claas900
07-03-2002, 09:21 PM
..Hi,Sparks all the way,runs good everwere at all rmp's.And yes,JhallettEX if your going to push C@D's on to us please give a price,Iv done Biz. with them,Talked to Dusty for a long time,great ppl there,and I'll do it again,plus they did give me the best prices,and if it was a bit higher then sombodys elses she beat it,not match it beat it..So yea C@D is a great plpace to do biz from,but a price would be nice.I have been wanting a Sparks now for a long time,and I'd love to order it form them,even tho Sparks is just an hour from me...Thanks

Claas900
07-03-2002, 09:36 PM
..Hi,Sparks all the way,runs good everwere at all rmp's.And yes,JhallettEX if your going to push C@D's on to us please give a price,Iv done Biz. with them,Talked to Dusty for a long time,great ppl there,and I'll do it again,plus they did give me the best prices,and if it was a bit higher then sombodys elses she beat it,not match it beat it..So yea C@D is a great plpace to do biz from,but a price would be nice.I have been wanting a Sparks now for a long time,and I'd love to order it form them,even tho Sparks is just an hour from me...Thanks

YLW400
07-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Honestly though, is a Sparks that much better? Like 2 times the money better? I do not doubt anyone on the sparks being a good pipe. And yes Smoker, I do ride hard........as hard as the EX will allow me. But the WB is about half of the money...and the stock head pipe on the EX is one of the best stock pipes manufactured.

Claas900
07-03-2002, 10:19 PM
..I didnt think it was twice the money?is it???I dunno id still go with sparks,iv seen them both run at the Beach,the wb was right behinde,everytime,close but wb never did catch it,and yeah it was on the same bike's..stock for stock.Plus the Sparks is coated,helps with heat,thats why its more $....If im not mistaken the wb is plain steal??..Thanks

Smoker
07-04-2002, 09:22 AM
YLW400, I agree about the cost of the Sparks, it's high. Have you considered the LRD? The chrome is $434 and the regular one is $375. I'm looking at the regular one since the chrome turns purple and looks like chit, IMO. It's still expensive but the WB complete system is close in price, I believe. If your just looking for a low cost slip on there's also the HMF ($189). :p

nakomis0
07-04-2002, 12:02 PM
One thing to remember is , Yes Sparks does have a slightly greater power gain.

BUT, the WB has a spark arrester. A spark arrester is becoming more and more, needed in alot of riding areas. My WB never gets a second look when trying to get into these riding spots.

Sparks doesn't come with a spark arrester, you certainly can get one with a spark arrester. With all spark arresters the performance of the exhaust will go down a little.

The Sparks and WB become a much more equal exaust in terms of performance once they both have spark arresters.

Also the WB is tunable, by adding or removing disks. Its also cheaper.

I'm not trying to sell you everything from C&D racing in all my posts. I try and stick to facts, not just blind comments about C&D racing products. If you race at a track go with Sparks, If your a rec. rider who may need a spark arrester, go with WB.

JHallet, have any of your post not contained the words C&D in the last month?

YLW400
07-04-2002, 04:09 PM
I do some rec riding, and I think the WB is more pratical.....for me anyway...Do they sound good?? The WB? I dont want a sissy soundin' pipe!

Quadfather
07-04-2002, 08:09 PM
I had a Curtis Sparks complete X4 system. It was so loud, I had to get rid of it. I switched to a Yoshi slip on. The performance loss was minimum, but well worth the sound exchange.

wheeltrax
07-04-2002, 09:24 PM
in my opinion the wb sounds awesome, it has a deep sort of loud roar to it. I think it sounds pretty cool.

BIGRED400
07-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Go to atvnews.com then go to project quads then pipe shootout , they tested 20 pipes and sparks was top dog but e-series was right behind it with only 2/10 ( .02 out of 1 hp. ) hp difference, white brothers is the way to go for the money

Rastus
07-05-2002, 09:11 PM
I agree with bigred, and nakomis0.
I beileve WB is the better pipe. Its adjustable,will get you into about any quad riding area,cheaper,and sounds cool in my opinion.Its ok though if ur neighbors hate you b/c you have a loud quad(been there)And im sure it would suck if you couldnt get into a riding area... If all you do is race, then sparks is your pipe,if you dont race all the time, id get a WB.

YLW400
07-08-2002, 06:03 AM
I think I am going to go with the WB...Thanks guys

07-08-2002, 07:55 PM
white bros if ur tryin to save money i noticed a big power increase with it. then again i got mine pumped up a bit tho. buy a jet kit either way u go. way better sound from white bros too

KingRage12
07-08-2002, 09:36 PM
You know, I have been browsing through these pages reading the replys and advise some of you guys share with each other and I would like to add my 2 cents, that is as a race engine builder. I have learned in my many years of putting these things together not to listen to some smuck I cant even see giving me advise on what works in an engine. I have years of experience in building dependable engines and the last thing one of you guys need to do is start tinkering on your own. Pay the experts to do the job. Its expensive for a reason. It takes time to "degree a cam in" and properly tune an engine. I specifically like the term stage 1 and 2 cam. What stage? A rider engine , B rider engine, what I guess a stage 3 would be a full pro race engine. Huh Huh, I tell you what. I will give you all a lesson that will make you think. Alright, here is an example of sales bull@##$ propaganda. Trinity boats there 440 big bore jacks the horsepower up on the 400 from 27 to 50! wow, you go 40 ccs with hardly anywork and you get 13hp. I dont think so, but you guys will believe anything you read. My advise is to be patient and join a local club and get hands on results. This is the only way you will be truly happy with the way you spend your money.
But I can tell you that there is relativly no differences in any of the exhaust except for looks and sound on the 400 untill you exceed 416 cc. I have a dyno and have seen the results. www.rageatv.com Call me on your nickel, and I will consult! Dee

King Rage #12

:D

FullBore52
07-08-2002, 09:59 PM
If you wanna save money go with the WB? The last I checked, the WB was $445 at rocky mountain atv...the sparks is an engine builders pipe and has been proven to be faster than a wb in the real world....the sparks is at most $30 more than the WB...if you wanna go fast youve gotta pay the price...

YLW400
07-09-2002, 06:13 AM
I am sure you are right Rage. I just want a pipe that looks decent and sounds good. Racr dude, I only have a 165 main. air box lid off and K&N. Is your E-series or R-series?

shockwave67
07-09-2002, 11:06 AM
I prefer Sparks.
On a stock motor to basic mods, Sparks X4 really wakes it up! On a all out race motor or big bore, Sparks X6. We have tried a dozen pipes and ran them side by side with identical bikes and seen the difference. LRD is very close too. I have never seen a pipe that sounds better or performs better than Curtis Sparks. There are a lot of good pipes out there though and I am sure someone will always claim one is better than the other. I am just stating my opinion from what I have seen and tried. Every quad is different and every pipe is different. You cant go wrong with either pipe you have mentioned though.
The only thing I have seen with the WB is that the welds break after a couple of months.
Later

YLW400
07-09-2002, 12:30 PM
WHat weld is that?

shockwave67
07-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Ive had two WB exhausts systems on my 400exs and both broke at the front of the muffler where the pipe enters the muffler on the motor side not the outlet side.

YLW400
07-09-2002, 02:55 PM
So if I just get the slip on, will I be ok? Or is that where you are talking about? Where the header goes into the slip on?

shockwave67
07-09-2002, 07:46 PM
Mine was with the slip on where the nipple comes out of the muffler. Its no big deal if it breaks. Just get a buddy who is a welder to fix. If you catch it soon enough the factory might fix and for all I know they may have improved on it by now. It is the best slip on. (White Brothers)

YLW400
07-10-2002, 05:48 AM
I am looking at the R-series, do any of your buddies have that? Or have you had it? I think it is a better looking pipe, and I am not worried about putting in and taking out discs

MX MadMann
07-10-2002, 04:18 PM
a sparks x-6 exhaust will bring a stock motor much more power. and if you want to get a big bore kit or somthing , it will work with it too. even though it is more expensive than a WB , i feel it looks and sounds better . i debated over the same thing and i finally realized that where i live , if you take your 4 wheeler out of the backyard while running , your goin to jail. so the only places that i can ride at are pipelines and things of that sort where it is already illegal. well besides me MX tracks i mean. but if you live where there is public riding areas and things i would get the WB.