PDA

View Full Version : Melting Cables

OTLEYEX
01-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I installed a full HMF system tonight. My clutch cable and ebrake cable both want to touch it. The results are obvious. Melting cables. Has anyone had this problem when upgrading to a full system? Thanks for your ideas. Also, what does backfiring mean. To rich or too lean?

All the Best,
OtleyEX

Pappy
01-03-2006, 06:45 PM
i used a 9 incg piece of stainless braided line to shield the cables.

DaleJrFan
01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I had the same problem when I installed my LRD full system, had to use some zip ties to keep cable off the head pipe. They make a insulating wrap that you can put on the cable and the pipe but I am redneck and used the cheap way.

If you are backfiring, you more and likely need to re-pack your pipe cause you are running a little lean, happens every winter to me.

rummerd
01-04-2006, 09:23 PM
First of all, ditch the E-brake cable. Get a block off for the caliper and get a clutch perch and lever off an MX bike, you will be happier all around. You don't need an expensive "adjust on the fly" clutch lever, just a normal one from a bike, its a nice clean instal and very easy. Get a block off for your caliper when you have the cash, its not really necessary, just leave the stock adjusting plate on until you can afford the blockoff. As for the clutch cable, you can get a Taylor spark plug boot insulator for less than 10 bucks. It is a "burn proof" material that comes in a single pack(or a pack of 8 for the car guys) that will slip over your cable. Simply position it so that it protects the cable from the header pipe and zip tie it on. Its a simple, inexpensive solution that looks good.

01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
i had that problum with the stock header

DaleJrFan
01-05-2006, 05:30 PM
how did you have a problem with a stock header? the pipes are far enough apart that you shouldnt have a problem?

01-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by DaleJrFan
how did you have a problem with a stock header? the pipes are far enough apart that you shouldnt have a problem?

well the stock cable on it i had no troubles with. but i switched to a terminator cable (cuz my other one snapped and i keep snapping cables still) and it wanted to touch the header. so i zip tied it away. but rilly i dont think u have to worry about it touching the header cuz i dont think the heat would make the cable weeker it would just melt a little rubber.

OTLEYEX
01-06-2006, 05:44 AM
These are all great ideas. I don't use the ebrake so I may remove that cable and install a blockoff as suggested. Will automotive heat wrap work?

Chino
01-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by OTLEYEX
These are all great ideas. I don't use the ebrake so I may remove that cable and install a blockoff as suggested. Will automotive heat wrap work?

just zip tie it buddy, you will be ahead in the long run plus it's a cheap fix and people cannot look and actually tell it is zip-tied.

fwm416ex
01-08-2006, 07:24 PM
I made a new cable loom holder when i installed my lonestar steering stem that way i was able to use a 300ex cable which is longer and route out and around the header,by doing this i reduced the amount of clutch lever pull to a minimum.

01-08-2006, 08:30 PM
how strong is the 300ex cable compared to the stock 400ex cable. only asking because if they are the same strength then I am definetly going to order a 300ex cable soon.

fwm416ex
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
same high quality standards as the 400 ex cable

bluebaron
01-18-2006, 07:33 PM
It did it on my Full LRD. Its melted down to the metal(not the cable), how bad of a problem is this. Will it damage anything, head pipe?