PDA

View Full Version : XC Tire Setup

450R-ridered
01-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I have razors all the way around right now but i need new tires soon and i am looking to start doing harescrambles and cross country races soon so i was wondering what is the best tire setup is for cross country, I know most people run razor2 fronts and razor1 rears but I was wondering how all razor2's are compared to this

Punk'd
01-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Fine, but heavier than regular razrs

01-03-2006, 08:05 PM
here is the ideal setup, and is what i will be using for 2006, here is what you will need

2 full sets of hiper wheels
2 21'' front razr2 tires
2 22'' front razr2 tires
2 20'' razr tires
2 20'' razr2 tires

run the 21'' front razr2 and 20'' razr when its dry

run the 21'' front razr2 and 20'' rear razr2 when its muddy

if its very muddy step it up to the 22'' front razr2 with the 20'' razr2 rear

crash n burn
01-03-2006, 08:49 PM
anybody ever try holeshot H-D? i see mostly razors and razor2s, just wondering if the H-D is any good.

01-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by crash n burn
anybody ever try holeshot H-D? i see mostly razors and razor2s, just wondering if the H-D is any good.

ive tried the fronts, they lasted 2 races before having 3 punctures in each tires side wall, after this i vowed to never use them again, and have only used maxxis tires sence, and they have yet to let me down

i do have a set of the rears that my dad plans to put on his 400ex, i will tell you how they did when we get them on

spincr4hire
01-04-2006, 06:26 AM
21" razr2 fronts, 20" razr1 rears in dry/hard pack. 20" H-D rears or I-Razr rears in the mud.

Prey
01-04-2006, 08:00 AM
i too am racing xc this year (i made 1 last year but this is really my 1st year) and after sinking 14K into my new 06 450ER buying 8 or 10 tires wasnt an option for me so i started calling around. after talking to several shop owners and racers, i explained that i just wanted 1 very good set of tires front and rear to hopefully get me through a season (i originally wanted the irazr's but found out they dont wear well). the razrII fronts were the easy decision, and i finally got narrowed down to the xc and xcr rears and was told the 20" xc is a bit taller tire than the 20"xcr so i ended up with the XC

22" razrII fronts
20" Holeshot XC rears

01-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Prey
i just wanted 1 very good set of tires front and rear to hopefully get me through a season (i originally wanted the irazr's but found out they dont wear well). the razrII fronts were the easy decision

ya the irazrs go out very quickly, thats y i chose to not run them, im not a pro and have a stash 4 sets of the same tire brand new for each season, but i do like to have the best setup that can get me thro

400excracer
01-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Ive never owned anything but Holeshots, so I cant compare them to IRazors, but if you are looking for a tuff as nails tire that will last a long time, buy a set of Holeshots.

XCRACER26
01-04-2006, 07:11 PM
I have hds all the way around and I love them, I have passed many on uphill muddy trerain out of cricks that were sittin at the botom because they had razrs and razr 2s, I have made up my mind on the best choice tire, for dry terain I use xcr03s in the rear.

thrasher_ex
01-04-2006, 07:27 PM
razr 6 ply all the way, ive ran holeshots and my friend is now, and both of our sets of tires literally start falling apart. you can rip the whole tread off at the base if you pull hard enough because they are so shredded. im now running razrz and will never change;)

01-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by XCRACER26
I have hds all the way around and I love them, I have passed many on uphill muddy trerain out of cricks that were sittin at the botom because they had razrs and razr 2s, I have made up my mind on the best choice tire, for dry terain I use xcr03s in the rear.

my front hd's worked good...for 2 races :eek2: , by that time they had 3 holes in the sidewall...each :mad:

sorry man, but maxxis all the way

kyex40047
01-04-2006, 08:47 PM
A 6 ply tire is a 6 ply tire. Just because it is a different brand does not mean it is going to get holes easier.I have only had one flat front in 2 and a half years of running ITP Xc's. I have had countless rear flats though, it is your riding style that gets flats. I tend to slide the back end around a lot so I get flats in the rear easier. In the mud I push people with Razors up the hills (I am not making that up, I have physically pushed quads up hill with these tires and they had like 5 races on them already) The Xc tend to wear really good too. You could go a whole season on one set if you do not have any flats on them. But I am switching over to Kendas in a few races.

Robin Hood
01-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm running Holeshot XCT's.

22's in the back
23's in the front
ITP C-series rims.

Im really happy with my tires, they hook up when you need them too, and Ive had them for over year with still over 50% tread left. They provide a good amount of height and I ever rarely clip rocks with the skidplate anymore. :D

XCRACER26
01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
all the people that I know have flats with the razrs and razr2s. both I guess are not invinceible. I love my tires and there both good.

DJJ450r
01-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Honda MaNiAc 01
I think Razr 2 fronts n Holeshot HD rear is the best XC set up

thats my next tire setup. i have hds all the way around now and i dont like the fronts at all but the rears are gold. allthough ive never ran rear r2s i love the front ones

watts16
01-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DJJ450r
thats my next tire setup. i have hds all the way around now and i dont like the fronts at all but the rears are gold. allthough ive never ran rear r2s i love the front ones

thats what im going to running.. razor 2 front HDs on the rear
The front HDs are in the mail back to the shop and they are letting me return them for razr 2's

Porkchop
01-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I've got 21' razr2 fronts and 20' irazr rears comin next friday.. we'll see how those run :D

outlaw450r
01-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Just Look at what Borich and Ballance run.

kyex40047
01-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by outlaw450r
Just Look at what Borich and Ballance run.
Just look at who sponsors them.

XCRACER26
01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
no, look at duvalls tires and yokelys.lol

atvdude
01-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Dont they all run with tire balls? so a 6ply tire wouldnt be as big of a deal. but us semi poor people need a good 6 ply tire to make it through the races without getting several flats. Thats one of the worst things that could happen when racing in my opinion.

atvdude
01-15-2006, 02:34 AM
Ok i really need to know if i should run smaller or bigger or the same as stock size tires for my 06 in harescrambles? dont want to buy the wrong ones. thought ide need larger than stock to get through rutted areas???? but that would make the bike tippy? What is the best woods racing tires size set up for an 06 450r???? any help?

400excracer
01-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Dont buy anything smaller. You will need all the clearance you can get. If you go bigger than stock, you run the risk of your center of gravity being too tall. This will make the quad tipy. If the track is dry use 22" up front and 20" on the rear. If the track is muddy consider 23" up front and 22" on the rear.

speedracer400
01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
all of these guys got the right idea. i run hd's in the rear and have had them almost a yr and they are the best rear atv tire i've ever had only had one go flat and thats cuz i got some pebbles inbetween the bead during my first race. i ride hi spd on gravel alot and thats about the terrain that tears them up and they've still never left me stuck. my buddy runs razr2' all the way round and he loves them. i run 2 sets of razr's up frt they go flat more than any thing else one setis 4ply the other is 6 they hook up great never had any other frt tire other than stock.

rap169
01-15-2006, 06:22 PM
i use kenda klaw xc and have had no problems. My rears are worn out so ill prob be switching to knarlys. I have never tried them so figured id give it a shot.

jeepnrocks
01-15-2006, 09:46 PM
I love the razr 2 fronts and i razr rears

the predator
01-16-2006, 02:14 AM
i run the razr2's in the front (22") and H-d's in the rear (20") and i love them point and shoot...i had razr rears and didnt like them too much whell spin but the h-ds hook up and go and last alot longer than most other tires with the same or close to the same bite.

DirtDevilBT
01-16-2006, 06:17 PM
I like the point about a 6 ply is a 6ply is a... you get the point. I have the front holeshot xcr's or xct's or whatever the hell those heavy bas tards are, the ones with the V pattern. I jumped off this hill the other day on a trail and landed on a basketball sized rock just off the side of the trail. It hit just off center of the tire. I had dented the outside of my bran new f-ing douglas .190s in about an inch and it was about 2 inches wide. It was a nasty sharp dent. Tire was A O K, not a scratch, and you know it had to of folded it back quite a bit.

However, those front tires don't turn very well, too flat. The only way I can get them to round off is to pump them up to 10+ psi, by then they are rocks and suck to ride on.

atvdude
01-16-2006, 09:42 PM
well i have made up my mind to go with razr 2 in the front and HD's in the rear and have a spare set of 1 size bigger I razors for the muddy races that clean out well and should give me enough clearance for the ruts. what do you all think ?good idea?

MMcCannon
05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Sounds good, i am gonna be lookin for a new tire combo soon also. Let us know your opinion once you get them. I hate my 6ply razr1's. The fronts don't grab and push bad, and the rears don't hookup worth a s***! No flats though.:ermm: I do like the HD's though, a buddy has got them on his 250R and them thing hookup like nothin i've ever seen!

GIXXER1KR
05-30-2006, 08:39 PM
I have ITP holeshots XCR fronts 21/7/10 and XCR 20/11/9 rears for normal riding.When it rains and it s muddy i run ITP Mudlites in the rear 22/11/8 and dont think there is a better combo out there!!!!They kick ***!!And go thru everything!!!