PDA

View Full Version : DID X-Ring Chain Problem

LexLuther
01-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I just got a new X-Ring chain from DID. I’m having a problem putting the master link together. When I put the O-rings on both sides, I can’t clamp it together tight enough to put the retaining clip on. Is there a special tool for doing this? Thanks.

JOEX
01-03-2006, 11:00 AM
I had the same problem. Not sure if this is the best way but as a last resort I drilled out the holes just enough to fit.

wilkin250r
01-03-2006, 11:33 AM
I think I had to actually use a small C-clamp to press the link together enough to fit the retaining clip.

bwamos
01-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I ALWAYS had to do that with my DID o-ring chains, lol. Kinda sucks.

The master link plate goes over the end of the pins past the groove, then bottoms out on the back side of the groove. I always had to ever so slightly clean up the inside of the plate holes to get it to fit on.

I don't normally use DID anymore (not because they are a bad chain, excelent chains, I'm just cheap, lol.). But, when I did use them that was a very common problem. Just clean up the inside of the holes with a drill bit, and it should fit right on. You barely have to take any material off.

I think the holes shrink some when they coat and heat treat the part.

I had 5 spare master links in my box at all times with the holes cleaned up and prefit so I didn't run into that problem in the field.

terko440
01-03-2006, 12:13 PM
I usually do something similar to Wilkin. I have a spare 520 chain link that I just put next to the new link and vice grip them together. The pins on the chain just go inside the spare link allowing it to compress. Just another option to try.

LexLuther
01-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I was thinking about drilling them out but didn't know if it was a good idea. I'll try it. Thanks.

bwamos
01-03-2006, 01:27 PM
As long as you keep the tollerance tight you shouldn't have a problem. I have yet to have a master fail that I've reamed out.

Crazy Diamond
01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
There is a chain press that you just clamp on and slide the clip right on the link. RM has they for around $10.00. I have one and it works great.